Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer to live?
Urban 19 44.19%
Suburban 19 44.19%
Rural (at least by Massachusetts standards) 5 11.63%
Doesn't matter to me 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times

Advertisements

I think enough other threads have been derailed debating the suburban vs. urban question that it seems worthwhile to start a thread about it. I think it's an interesting topic and am interested in everyone's opinions on the differences.

I'm a suburb person. I like quiet, more living space, distance from my neighbors, being able to leave the door unlocked without worrying about it, being able to leave packages by my front door for a week without them getting stolen. I like walking around the neighborhood and saying hi to people that I don't know. I like cardinals and blue jays and nuthatches at the feeder, squirrels and chipmunks in the trees, and the occasional deer roaming around.

I can definitely see how some people might like all the advantages of living in a vibrant, bustling city, but most of that is wasted on me. I read the arguments make in favor of urban living and for the most part I think "the suburbs are definitely right for me". I'm sure some urban-dwellers probably feel the same way about my list ;-) For me biggest downside of the suburbs is the long commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Enjoy aspects of all 3, but for now enjoying the small town/rural life.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:13 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
There are lots of places in Boston itself, and also right outside of Boston, where you can have elements of both urban and suburban living.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,096 times
Give me Boston or give me Hardwick. If I could pick two, urban and rural. Too bad exurban wasteland was not an option, as that's where I've spent much of my life, though not out of preference.

Commuting from the burbs in MA sounds like my nightmare though.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:00 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Give me Boston or give me Hardwick. If I could pick two, urban and rural. Too bad exurban wasteland was not an option, as that's where I've spent much of my life, though not out of preference.

Commuting from the burbs in MA sounds like my nightmare though.
I was just going to post this.

Having lived 4 years in a huge subdivision in an "ex-burb" I really hated it. Loved the town and many of the more rural properties but couldn't stand the neighborhood. It combined all that was bad about city and rural living. The lots were on the small side so you still had proximity to your neighbors, yet you couldnt walk to anything useful. You had to maintain the useless yard due to the subdivision feel but we abutted 30 acres which would rain down debris into the pool and rot everything on the house it could. We had terrible winters, septic, no garbage disposal, etc. Town water though so to water the lawn you had to pay for it.

So ya give me a walkable neighborhood with a small yard and the ability to bike to get food or grocories. OR a long driveway with a clearing where I can do as much or little yard work as possible.

So for me Marblehead or Blandford (Franklin and Hampshire county are going to way of the Berkshires and Vermont)

Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
There are lots of places in Boston itself, and also right outside of Boston, where you can have elements of both urban and suburban living.
Yes, if your income is within the top 5%. Anyway ...

In the past 8 years I've transitioned from being an avid urban dweller (Boston, Lowell) to someone who strongly desires a more bucolic setting like Groton, Harvard, Sterling, Bolton, etc. Why? Living in the rural 'burbs seems to center my focus on living life rather than consuming it.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Urban while single, definitely

Rural would be nice when partnered

Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
For me, my preference is urban, but it's really a phase of life kind of thing.

Young and single - urban for sure. Put me in the heart of the city. I want to be around as much life and culture as possible. Except I can't afford it.

Married with kids - Suburban is the better option here IMO. Families require space, space is expensive. It's possible to get space for a family in the heart of the city, but alas, still can't afford it. A suburb close to the city has been ideal for this - space for kids to play, ride bikes, get to know neighbors and help each other out, yet remain close enough to the city to venture in whenever we choose, and expose the kids (or just myself) to the life and culture I desire.

When the kids are grown? Who knows. I like to think I'll eventually get that nice place in the heart of the city, but the older I get, the more I seem to enjoy peace and quiet. Yet, there's something about a dense city that gives a certain kind of peace too. Although it's crammed with people, I don't stand out as an individual. I'm more anonymous in this environment than anywhere else. I'm not as likely to walk down the street or go into a shop and see someone I know, unless I arrange to meet someone. So being anonymous, but not lonely, in a dense place with plenty of things happening all the time, is what attracts me to urban living.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I live coastal suburban. I can walk to the dinghy dock and my boat is out on the mooring. Mall hell and the big box stores are 10 minutes away. I loathe anywhere-USA suburban sprawl and only lived places like that because my job gave me no choice. With infinite money, I'd love to have my primary residence be urban with everything walkable or a quick taxi/subway ride away but I'd want a concierge building with underground parking and an elevator. Given the constraints of my net worth and cash flow, I'm fine with coastal suburban.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 AM

513 posts, read 646,740 times
If it was just me and my husband, we would be living in the Back Bay, no question.

We could walk to work, pick up stuff to make dinner on the way home, and enjoy all the city has to offer.
If I did live in the city, I would definitely need a weekend place to have a garden and take in nature, but that would probably be in a seaside community.

Raising kids in Boston proper would be difficult for us, both financially and logistically.

For right now, we live in a small town. It's perfect for us and the kids. Tons of things to do, nature all around us, yet also on the commuter rail for access to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts