Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM

63 posts, read 105,797 times

Advertisements

Back again for more info. I'm continuing to regularly search the rental market in Arlington, Newton, and Natick, as well as some of the towns that border those. Though we're not actually looking to rent till next June at the earliest, I want to get an idea of what kind of living conditions are available in our price range so that it's all familiar by the time we start looking in earnest. I'm noticing a few recurring features and wondering if they're in fact typical or if there's more variety around:

FTR, we'll be looking for a 2-3br duplex-type arrangement for $1900-2400/mo. It appears that few of the options in that range have yards (sad panda) or more than one bathroom (devastated Darth Vader scream). More surprising to me, since I've never lived in New England, is the total lack of kitchen counter space! I'm seeing a ton of kitchens with either one tiny strip of built-in counter or none at all. There's also rarely a garage or storage space. And finally.... sorry for my ignorance, but what is that strange built-in display cabinet in all the dining rooms?

On a related note: I feel like I want lots of big windows to let in the sunlight and hopefully make the long Winters a little less dreary, but I also assume that probably leads to higher heating bills. What are your thoughts on this? Anything else I need to consider regarding heating? Thanks again; your help is invaluable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Many will be old with small and dark rooms, few bathrooms, heated by oil, and no AC.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Heat is usually paid by the tenant so the owner has no incentive to insulate. Utilities can be expensive.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
You'll need to increase your budget by at least 50% to find something more appealing in the towns you have mentioned.

And that's a china cabinet in the dining room.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 PM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Townhouses would be a little different, but the more windows the greater the heating loss.

Built-In China cabinets would be considered an asset.The lack of counter space I suppose varies with the individual townhouse. Same with garages and yards. It's not unusual to see a detached garage, especially with older houses.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhereUSA View Post
Back again for more info.
FTR, we'll be looking for a 2-3br duplex-type arrangement for $1900-2400/mo. It appears that few of the options in that range have yards (sad panda) or more than one bathroom (devastated Darth Vader scream). More surprising to me, since I've never lived in New England, is the total lack of kitchen counter space! I'm seeing a ton of kitchens with either one tiny strip of built-in counter or none at all.
I suspect that this particular aspect is more a function of the age and size of the home rather than particular to New England. Often duplexes that are rental properties, and in that price range, usually the owners are not doing a knock-out redo of the home. As long as everything is functional, that's all the landlord needs, because they know they'll find someone to rent it who wants something that size and in that location. I don't know if in the towns where you are looking, if there are apartment complexes -- ironically a newer complex can have larger living space with larger kitchen areas (and hence more countertop space) than older duplexes/townhomes/single family houses. But, you're in a complex and don't have your own yard (not even a very small one) and have more immediate neighbors.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Welcome to New England. You can find bright, open apartments with great kitchens and newer construction, but not in those towns with that budget. In Newton and Arlington you will be getting older places and those features you complain are all fairly common in older homes around here. I lived in one much like the above picture in Belmont for a couple of years. We were lucky to have a sun room that got a good deal of natural light, but the kitchen wasn't amazing, and the whole place was old. Back then it went for $1450, I'm sure now it would be a lot more.

Part of the reason those towns are expensive is good schools. If you don't need good schools you might have better luck with your budget in Watertown or Waltham.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I suspect that this particular aspect is more a function of the age and size of the home rather than particular to New England. Often duplexes that are rental properties, and in that price range, usually the owners are not doing a knock-out redo of the home. As long as everything is functional, that's all the landlord needs, because they know they'll find someone to rent it who wants something that size and in that location. I don't know if in the towns where you are looking, if there are apartment complexes -- ironically a newer complex can have larger living space with larger kitchen areas (and hence more countertop space) than older duplexes/townhomes/single family houses. But, you're in a complex and don't have your own yard (not even a very small one) and have more immediate neighbors.
Interesting. I really had no interest in an apartment, but if the difference in quality/age of the unit is that drastic (and given how much time we'll have to spend indoors), perhaps we should consider it. If we could be within walking-distance to a park, the lack of yard might not be an issue.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Lots depends on housing stock you are looking at, and if it was built as a cheaper run-of-the-mill worker's housing, or middle and upper class abode. Most places will be very old by US standards, but some will be more gracious and better built, then others. Some two-three family apartments have great layouts, light, space, high ceilings, fireplaces, moldings, built-ins, etc. Some others, even from same era, are just sad looking.

You are smart to educate yourself in advance. Most people when moving to MA have to make peace with older housing, smaller spaces, and lack of features that are often deemed non-luxurious or standard elsewhere. Majority of folks here have old homes that require constant upkeep and repairs, and few can afford all the space/features they need/want. It is not cheap area to own, or rent.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Welcome to New England. You can find bright, open apartments with great kitchens and newer construction, but not in those towns with that budget. In Newton and Arlington you will be getting older places and those features you complain are all fairly common in older homes around here. I lived in one much like the above picture in Belmont for a couple of years. We were lucky to have a sun room that got a good deal of natural light, but the kitchen wasn't amazing, and the whole place was old. Back then it went for $1450, I'm sure now it would be a lot more.

Part of the reason those towns are expensive is good schools. If you don't need good schools you might have better luck with your budget in Watertown or Waltham.
Yeah, my husband grew up in New York, so he was unsurprised to see the age of these units, but I've never lived in a place older than 20 years or so, so it's all new to me. The schools matter because we have children, but we have over two years until the first will even hit Kindergarten, so we have more leeway now in our choice of towns than we'll have then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts