Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times

Advertisements

Depending on where in Natick, 20 min will get you no more than half way to Longwood in the morning. I agree that 900K will get you a pretty grand place in Natick compared to other towns closer in.

OP, you should determine for yourself if you prefer to live closer/ less time in commuting and possibly a condo type residence or a nice big detached house with good sized yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Living within a short drive to Riverside could open things up. That's on the D branch of the Green Line OP and it would provide a direct shot to Longwood, I think it's 10, or 11 stops from Riverside.
During rush hour that's going to be a 1 hour door to door commute. The D line is overcrowded and slow.

Quote:
With a budget of $900k, you will be able to find a very nice, modern home within 20 miles of Boston. That budget will not go as far is towns such as Weston, or Dover as it would in a town such as Canton, or Dedham. FWIW, if I could afford it, I would love to live in Needham. It really has a perfect mix of things, imo.
Frankly this is probably the better option if getting a nice house is a priority. 30 minutes on commuter rail from Canton to Ruggles plus a few minutes on the LMA shuttle if you don't want to walk; about the same amount of time it would take from Needham. Obviously when things go wrong on commuter rail it can take longer.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
During rush hour that's going to be a 1 hour door to door commute. The D line is overcrowded and slow.

Frankly this is probably the better option if getting a nice house is a priority. 30 minutes on commuter rail from Canton to Ruggles plus a few minutes on the LMA shuttle if you don't want to walk; about the same amount of time it would take from Needham. Obviously when things go wrong on commuter rail it can take longer.

With all due respect it is ridiculous to sink $900K in middle of the road school district. Spend that money in Canton?

Nicer house there is absolutely not worth going into possible short sale later on. OP has very healthy budget to be picky, and not settle for longer commute, and less regarded schools on top of it. No reason for that at all.

Stick to A listers OP. Excellent schools are must if you want to have good resale later on.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
With all due respect it is ridiculous to sink $900K in middle of the road school district. Spend that money in Canton?

Nicer house there is absolutely not worth going into possible short sale later on. OP has very healthy budget to be picky, and not settle for longer commute, and less regarded schools on top of it. No reason for that at all.

Stick to A listers OP. Excellent schools are must if you want to have good resale later on.

Good luck.
Well, I never said they HAD to buy a $900k home in Canton. The point here is that they could spend less than $900k and get a nicer house than they would get in Needham and have the same commute.

With all due respect spending $900k on a house almost anywhere is a ****ing waste of money yet people clearly don't mind doing it if they have the cash.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
That sounds too long to me to get to Longwood from Riverside but I agree that riding the D line can be arduous. I did it for a number of years.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
That sounds too long to me to get to Longwood from Riverside but I agree that riding the D line can be arduous. I did it for a number of years.
I'm referring to total travel time. Riverside to Longwood is going to take at least 30 minutes during rush hour. If add a 10-15 minute drive to Riverside plus a 5-10 minute wait for the train plus a 10 minute walk to work once you're off the train, you wind up at almost an hour. I'm not saying it can't be done faster, just that it's unlikely.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM

417 posts, read 734,915 times
I see what DM84 is saying about a nicer house with the same commute. We are in Sharon (right next to Canton) and my husband commutes to Longwood daily. Under an hour, TOP schools, and in Sharon, you can buy a way nicer house than can be bought in Newton, etc.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:02 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
I'm referring to total travel time. Riverside to Longwood is going to take at least 30 minutes during rush hour. If add a 10-15 minute drive to Riverside plus a 5-10 minute wait for the train plus a 10 minute walk to work once you're off the train, you wind up at almost an hour. I'm not saying it can't be done faster, just that it's unlikely.
That makes more sense. If the OP is referring to a total commute time of 20 minutes though that's going to result in a very, very small area where they could possibly live. When you add in the request of "good" schools that basically leaves Brookline and only a small corner of it. It pretty much rules out the possibility of a single family house unless the OP is willing to significantly increase their budget.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The desire for a 20 minute commute puts Needham and Natick out of the picture, unless the OP commutes at very off hrs. And even then, it's cutting it close. I'd go with Newton. yeah, it's expensive here but 900k isn't a tiny budget by any means. A home in one of the Newton Neighborhoods can be had for that.

I feel your pain OP. We have a super active boy and are in Brookline. We used to own a home but are now in a condo, I'm not complaining. There are many benefits to condo living - many. And the house we owned had a very large yard with a big old oak tree and was all fenced in. I do miss it (certainly not the upkeep though) but we’ve adjusted well.

There are tons of families here with active kids and live in a condo. THat's why the parks in Brookline are so utilized. It's a nice atmosphere actually. The parks are like disco clubs for kids. My kid always see’s someone he knows, usually many others and enjoys the buzz of the town. We thought a yard was what he needed but now, we think he’s happier with the parks because with a yard, it would have been just him but with the park, he gets an outdoor experience rather than just the outdoors – kids exchange bikes and scooters, they play football or soccer or throw the frisbee around, etc. When we go to one of the parks or schools (after school lets out) in the burbs, it’s usually a dead zone. Go to one of the Brookline schools (Lawrence or Devotion will do) at 5pm, the place is packed with crazy kids doing crazy kid things. Giving up a yard hasn’t been as hard as I thought and I absolutely underestimated the awesomeness of an atmosphere like Brookline where people spend a lot of their time in public spaces rather than their home – I’ve even just thought of a new slogan: Public Space – it ain’t just for poor people anymore.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Such a nice, encouraging post - and also very informative for many I am sure.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:56 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,517,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I do think this is a huge point that a lot of folks don't consider. I think city kids get more outdoor time than suburban kids, and they walk more. Condo living doesn't work for everyone, but I think it isn't given enough consideration by many people who would, I think, like it if they were able to do it. As was said earlier, something's got to give. For some people it would be the detached house with a yard and some more space, but for other people, they'd trade that for a longer commute. Either decision isn't morally offensive.
Good post. I have relatives with one son who live in a 2 bedroom + office/guest room condo and they are accessible to so much! They live in a top school district, too. Condos are often centrally located and super convenient. And something to consider: If you bought a condo that you truly loved, in a great area, you wouldn't have to downsize later or move due to the need for an elevator or for a lower maintenance lifestyle - you'd already have it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts