Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM

144 posts, read 129,606 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of trying to find a new job (promotion, higher pay), and my first interview is for later this week in Burlington, MA. Some of my Mass friends tell me Burlington is a quiet area, and that most people who work there drive in from Boston or near Boston. However it seems Boston is a good 25-30 minutes away without traffic (is this accurate?).

Given the options, I would prefer to live in or near Boston instead of Burlington. I attended college in the city of Boston, and simply put there's a lot more going on in or around the city. At the same time, I don't know the area outside the city too well, and that's why I need help determining where I should look for an apartment:
- I am in my mid/later 20s and currently single/not attached, so somewhere happening is preferred.
- I will need my car, as the T simply doesn't make it all the way to Burlington.
- Having said that, I would try to use the T to move within the city; the car is mostly useful for my work commute and if I'm leaving town for a few days.
-Looking for a place that isn't incredibly expensive (making around $55K-$60K at the new job if I take it), allows for parking at a reasonable price and is reasonably safe. Being within access to the T would be a plus as well.

I have done a little searching and the following areas just outside the city keep popping up:
- Allston (I attended school right down the street, though would look for an apartment away from where the frats and rowdy college scenes are).
- Brookline (nice area and I have a buddy who lives in the town, but heard overnight parking costs $150-$200 a month).
- Brighton (I know it's next to Allston and near Brookline, but surprisingly did not spend a lot of time here back in the day. Have heard nice things though).
-Cambridge (Another good, happening spot for young adults from what I've heard).
-Somerville (All I know about Somerville is it's across the river near the North End).

What do you think? Are one of these areas my best bet? Did I forget a certain region? Is there anything else I should know?

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 10-14-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,436,292 times
Let's not put the cart before the horse. Let's see if you get a second interview.

Where do you live now?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Let's not put the cart before the horse. Let's see if you get a second interview.

Where do you live now?
Two hours away in central Connecticut. Wanted to make this post in case I get the job and it's a tight turnaround, or if I find another job that happens to be in Boston in the not-too-distant future. Knowing more regardless will certainly help.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:30 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,243,972 times
What would be your rental budget? Are you open to roommates? Much will depend on your budget and not underestimating COL in this area. Your pay is probably borderline sufficient to live here, unless you have tons of school debt and then roommate situation is the best way to go.

Most younger people end up in places you have already heard about. Somerville, Medford are hip places. Somerville more so. Parking can be aggravating during winter. Waltham can offer better parking and shorter commute. Watertown is not as bad but neither is happening as Somerville or Cambridge. But they are close enough to all the action.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:17 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post

I have done a little searching and the following areas just outside the city keep popping up:
- Allston (I attended school right down the street, though would look for an apartment away from where the frats and rowdy college scenes are).
- Brookline (nice area and I have a buddy who lives in the town, but heard overnight parking costs $150-$200 a month).
- Brighton (I know it's next to Allston and near Brookline, but surprisingly did not spend a lot of time here back in the day. Have heard nice things though).
-Cambridge (Another good, happening spot for young adults from what I've heard).
-Somerville (All I know about Somerville is it's across the river near the North End).

What do you think? Are one of these areas my best bet? Did I forget a certain region? Is there anything else I should know?
Places you list might be a stretch even at $60K/year. Have you priced out apartments in those areas? You might be looking at $2500+/month for a studio or 1 BR. Roommates might be a good option. If you have debt, it might get even more tricker.

Outside I-95, you might find cheaper rents. You are right that Burlington is about 25-30 mins away from Boston without traffic, but unless you want to hang out in Boston every night, it might be easier to live outside the city and drive in, vs deal with the higher COL living near the city.

I work near Burlington, and it might not be thart enjoyable for a young, single 20-something male.

How about Salem? A little cheaper COL and a pretty decent downtown with some youthful nightlife?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:35 PM

652 posts, read 751,159 times
Pretty much all the young people are clustered in the city. Somerville, Cambridge, Allston/Brighton. If you're willing to have roommates, you can certainly afford renting in any of those places and would love it I'm sure. I did it on your hypothetical salary for a few of those years. You will have to make compromises but you're young, you should slum it a little.

I commuted from Somerville to Burlington for several years and hated it. Traffic up there is awful. It's more like an hour to Boston at rush hour. Although some new restaurants and nightlife have opened up there recently, you still won't find the kind of vibrant young culture you will in the city.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 PM

Appreciate the responses so far. I don't have to pay off any more loans, which is good. However, I would be against taking on a roommate (have had bad experiences in the past). For what it's worth, I currently make 40K a year and pay $850 a month for rent (plus 200-300 more for electric). The current situation is comfortable for me, but the area also isn't the most bustling. Boston would be EASILY be more vibrant.

As some of you have said, Burlington appears to be a rather quiet community. I don't need to be right in the action, but as long as I'm relatively close to it, I would be fine. For all we know I don't even get this job, but I'd like to be ahead of the game if I do get the opportunity. There might be a few chances for work in or around Boston.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
I currently make 40K a year and pay $850 a month for rent (plus 200-300 more for electric). The current situation is comfortable for me, but the area also isn't the most bustling. Boston would be EASILY be more vibrant..

Just keep in mind a bump of $20K or so may not offset the increase in COL. You sure won't find rent for $850/month here unless you take on a roommate, or live in a seedy, undesirable neighborhood or in an illegal appt.

Somerville MA Apartments For Rent | Zillow

Just a quick glance of Apt rentals in Somerville puts the cheapest 1 BR I saw at $1500/month. Your living expenses may double and you'll probably need a salary increase of $20K (pretax) to offset the rent increase alone.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,702,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just keep in mind a bump of $20K or so may not offset the increase in COL. You sure won't find rent for $850/month here unless you take on a roommate, or live in a seedy, undesirable neighborhood or in an illegal appt.

Somerville MA Apartments For Rent | Zillow

Just a quick glance of Apt rentals in Somerville puts the cheapest 1 BR I saw at $1500/month. Your living expenses may double and you'll probably need a salary increase of $20K (pretax) to offset the rent increase alone.
This. I imagine OP may have a hard time getting a landlord to approve even if he/she can put down first, last and security.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,709 times
If you get the job in Burlington, you'll be better off living in Cambridge or Somerville than Allston, Brighton or Brookline, because you'll have a shorter and easier commute. From Arlington, you can get to Burlington in 15 minutes on Lowell Street, but I assume that Arlington isn't really the vibrant urban environment you're looking for. In Cambridge or Somerville, you'll be looking at living with roommates, but assuming you're down with that, you'll have a quick commute (for Boston) and you'll be right in the heart of things when you're home. Personally, I'd much rather live in Cambridge or Somerville and be able to go out on a whim (on foot) rather than having to drive in and/or deal with the T every time I want to do something fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts