Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM

16 posts, read 66,092 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how long/annoying/convenient the commute *on the train* is from the South Shore (Scituate, Hingham) to Cambridge. My wife and I are thinking about moving out there soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 12,537 times
Default Train commute from South Shore

If it is the commuter rail you are asking about the ride is VERY nice. It is a completely different beast then the "T" lines. Seating is comfortable and in good supply. The route provides beautiful views and the noise is minimal. It's a pleasant ride. We have even taken our young children on it just for fun.

Of course the time varies from the point at which you pick it up (approx 40 min's from Scituate to South Station). We happen to live in Scituate and find the parking convenient. There are ample spaces located at the "Greenbush" train stop. Two things to keep in mind are:

Greenbush in Scituate is the 1st pick up location in the AM so you have your choice of seats.

I am not sure how close to Cambridge the commuter rail will get you. You may need to switch over at South Station.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Good luck - Scituate & Hingham are great choices.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-02-2008 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 11:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Question where in cambridge are you working????

Where in cambridge would you be working, that could make a difference?

yes you will have to switch onto the T to get to cambridge and/or Bus but there's plenty of busses and subways once you learn the system that go to cambridge.

where are you working in cambridge? Harvard Square, MIT area? Kendall Square? Porter Square???
Lechemere??

-jeff
Winchester, MA

Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Default commute to Cambridge from South Shore

I'll be working at Harvard. I plan to take the commuter train, which looks like it drops off at South Station, where I'd have to transfer to the red line to Harvard. I figured it would be about an hour total, which is daunting...The upshot is that, while I still pay a bundle for a house (my God, houses are expensive out there...) at least I could get something close to a beach...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_neophyte View Post
I'll be working at Harvard. I plan to take the commuter train, which looks like it drops off at South Station, where I'd have to transfer to the red line to Harvard. I figured it would be about an hour total, which is daunting...The upshot is that, while I still pay a bundle for a house (my God, houses are expensive out there...) at least I could get something close to a beach...
OK, Neophyte, I gave you some grief on another forum so I'll try to be of some help. I don't know what your budget is for 4BR, but you might be looking at an hour. One thing not to overlook is that the Fitchburg line trains stop at Porter Square, which is only one subway stop to Harvard. Much closer than getting to Harvard from South Station, which is a 15-20 minute proposition in itself. Unfortunately, as you've likely discovered, the towns closer in on the Fitchburg line are expensive but you might find something OK in the Acton area, or Boxborough (which shares a high school with Acton). Stow is also near the South Acton station, as is Maynard (which is a bit less upscale).

Otherwise, paradoxically, it may be better to look south because S. Sta. is better for getting to Harvard than N. Sta.
As regards Hingham and Scituate, the new Greenbush line is slow and doesn't run all that often so I'd rule out anything beyond Hingham or Cohasset, which is already 45 mins. Scituate is almost an hour to South Station and then 20 mins to Harvard beyond that. Both Hingham and Cohasset are pricy. Some possibilities on other lines that are OK towns but less expensive are Needham (close on the map but the train is slow), Norwood, Walpole, Sharon. You'd be under 40 mins or so to S. Sta. from those. Another possibility might be Natick, about 40 mins to S. Sta.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM

Default Thanks

This is helpful. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts