Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 PM

53 posts, read 54,397 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller here.

As for my question, I could just try looking up crime stats for my target areas but the posters on this particular forum seem knowledgeable when it comes to first hand experience with the cities and towns in Massachusetts, which I value more than stats. Some places may seem to be high-crime areas statistically, but the crime is relatively concentrated or mostly among rival dealers, etc.

I'm going to give a bit of info about myself to tailor the type of input I receive, which I will use (in part) to aid in my decision on where to move next - which will have to be soon. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding so I need all the input I can get. I will visit or have visited the area which I will move to next, but you can't always get a good idea in a short visit. If you don't feel like reading a bunch of bs about my situation and the things I'm looking for in a place to live, I still value your input, so feel free to skip my story and just give your opinion on what you think are the safest lower-socioeconomic/underclass areas in Massachusetts. Places where rents are cheap, but yet are not completely crime-infested. Thanks!

Right now I live in Lynn, MA because it is cheap - I found a very good deal. I'm on unemployment at the moment, laid off from my taxi-gig. (I know I know, how in the hell do you get laid off from driving for a taxi-company?... It's a story which I do not wish to tell at present but feel free to pm me if your curiosity gets the best of you). I have done many types of working class jobs: from service sector to warehouse, transportation, roofing, landscaping, etc... finding some type of work has never been a major concern.

I consider myself part of the "underclass" economically, though I do have exquisite taste and class in a few areas if I do say so myself. Despite being part of the underclass I've managed to save up a decent amount (by working-class standards) by living within my means (not buying anything but food). I've saved enough for a down payment on say 100-150k home (though I would never qualify for a loan based on my current taxable income, which is now zero). So I'm currently looking to move and continue saving in a location with cheap rent (perhaps an area where I may eventually want to buy), but that is plagued by less crime than my current location (Lynn, MA). I have not been the victim of a crime since my move back east from San Diego (where I was jumped by a gang of mexicans for being in the wrong place at the wrong time) but that's besides the point. I see what goes on in my neighborhood, I'm out and about quite a bit (Also I'm quite often alone during my excursions). There have been multiple shootings close to my apartment, hookers are constantly walking the street downtown on Union street, plenty of crack and heroin, etc...) But I don't mind street life and don't mind poor neighborhoods with a bit of "action" it's just my last 3 locations - Lawrence/Lowell/Lynn - have not been my cup of tea (okay Lowell's not that bad I'm just not a fan). So by "safest" I don't mean completely safe I mean better than the areas mentioned above.

I'm thinking, Worcester or FITCHBURG! Now let me tell you why, and feel free to disagree with me if I'm on the wrong track here. I don't need a ton of city amenities like coffee-shops, boutiques, hipster joints, tons of ethnic cuisine (a couple would be nice), white collar jobs, etc...

Here are the things I currently value the most:

1. Cheap Rent in a somewhat safer area.

2. Hills! I'm a fan of hills, mountains and freshwater, NOT the ocean. I like to hike and swim in freshwater. (I do go to Walden all the time in the summer which is great for long-distance swimming which is a major source of exercise for me, but I also like "swimming holes" with rocks/cliffs to jump off, and waterfalls, but I can always drive to NH/Berkshires/VT)

3. Less traffic than Boston (that's pretty easily accomplished, eh?).

4. Good Comfort Food (which is relatively inexpensive). I actually moved down to Chattanooga and Knoxville, Tennessee for a year with a friend in large part for the southern fare and bbq (as well as proximity to outdoor activities) but that didn't work out in the long run - it was a bit too humid, and also, dangerous in the poorer sections of those cities, and outside of them my options were mainly areas with a slightly different culture than I am accustomed to. Up north my idea of comfort food is: Good Diners (which Boston has a severe lack of, but Worcester apparently has in spades (can anyone confirm?), and also GOOD PIZZA!! (In the Boston area there are a few: Louie's in Woburn, Santarpios...) But anyway all I need is one or two. Unfortunately one town that has OUTSTANDING PIZZA IN ALL FORMS (GREEK, ITALIAN, SPECIALTY) is Greenfield - but unfortunately that is off the list due to the extremes in the populace - imo it goes from slimy underbelly to hipsterish People's Pint to upper-middle class over by Poet's Seat or out country club road. Whatever the middle ground is there, and there is some there, it's not for me. I have lived in GFLD for a few years btw.

5. Slightly friendlier people who are a bit more relaxed, which a couple people have said one can find in the Fitchburg/Leominster and North Quabbin areas. Also, whoever voted for friendliest people being on the North Shore, I strongly disagree, and Salem has some of the least friendly imo, but then I don't find anywhere in the Boston area particularly friendly. I do think the south shore or metrowest like Newton may be a better choice in that regard.

WEll I've typed too much already so let's end this here.

One last thing, I've never been to Royalston is the downtown there really decent? Any Good Pizza? Diners?

Thanks for any input, no matter what type!

Oh wait, one last thing

7. A Good Supermarket like Market Basket (I also like Whole Foods for a couple things) nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that I do have a car at present, and Western Mass is definitely not out of the question. I love the Berkshires, Pittsfield is on my radar but it seems a bit isolated and a bit polarized as far as the classes go. Northampton is a bit expensive and lesbianish (although as a single, straight male, could that play in my favor somehow?). Never been to Easthampton. Holyoke and Springfield have too much crime for the places where I would likely be forced to live, haven't spent much time in Chicopee but not too interested unless someone can peak my interest. I do like Chickpeas.

Last edited by notsobkcuf; 01-09-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM

26,633 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Since no one else has replied I'll try. What about the hilltowns and other areas to the far west of Northampton? The area is sparsely populated but I don't think there's much crime. It's a bit of a drive to get anywhere but that's what makes it cheap. Some place like Huntington comes to mind. Goshen? There used to be swimming holes out in that area but I don't know anymore. People move in and buy up the land and put up No Trespassing signs.

You'd be isolated in winter but in the summer you can get anywhere. It might take some survivalist techniques but people do live out there. There are lots of towns that you drive through to get to the Berkshires, towns I can't even think of right now--Dalton, that's one-- but they're out there. They are obscure but they must be cheap. As for Pittsfield or North Adams, if you like cities, maybe it's okay, but to me, it would be even more isolated than some small town.

What about Palmer? Warren? Three Rivers? Not pretty places but they were always cheap--don't know about safety but they can't be THAT bad.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:59 AM

9,482 posts, read 16,369,891 times
Mass definitely isn't known for low rents anywhere in the state. I guess I'd have to say the lowest rents COL, would be in the Western part of the state. Probably starting around Springfield and the communities to the west. It would certainly be a big change from Lynn and the Boston area. Lynn has been a very high crime area for decades now.

You have to do what you have to do in life. I think your smart for looking for cheaper housing and overall lower cost of living. When your on your own, and your support system is only you. It can be more difficult to make it on just the one income, than when there is someone else in the house with income. So many times you have to make decisions to stay afloat, and give yourself some peace of mind. I think that is what you are doing. You know some things about your current situation, really need to be addressed. So your doing the right thing by making some plans.

I would make a trip out to Springfield, No Adams, Pittsfield areas and see what you think. So you can decide if living that far out, is something you would be comfortable with. A place where you can find work, would need to be high on your criteria also. I do think you will find the rents more reasonable out there. That and less crime. Though everywhere has crime today, just different levels of it.

Best of Luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have to say, looking on google maps streetview (not the best gauge yes I know) but I was able to look at some of the rough areas of Fitchburg suggested in another thread. It doesn't look like it could be as bad as Lawrence or Lynn (and it's less dense). But looks can be deceiving. In Lawrence a guy and girl were shot in their legs right outside my window near Broadway, where the shooter apparently caught his girlfriend in a little spanish club with another guy lol, they survived. There's one neighborhood in Lawrence though (above Erving between 28 and Lawrence st) where there seems a violent incident (a lot of stabbings) every other day. Lynn is not as bad as Lawrence (safety wise) for those who care to know. But Lawrence has one major thing over Lynn and Lowell - Tripoli's Bakery! - Amazing!! Not just the cheesecake (better than any in the north end) but the bakery pizza on the other side!

Now, hill towns of Western Mass are definitely on my radar, the problem is I need to move rather quickly and there's not a whole lot of rentals in that area being sparsely populated.

If someone could give me a detailed opinion/description on the differences between Fitchburg/Worcester/Easthampton in terms of low-rent neighborhoods, that would be great. Also, does anyone live in or frequent Royalston?

Three rivers and out that way is a bit too far south for me (unless I was further west towards Great Barrington), it's not as pretty outside of town (maybe the Quabbin) not as many easily accessed outdoor activities as on the route 2 corridor unless going to Noho and then up that way. GB of course has beautiful surroundings.

Also, Market Basket is a very good supermarket and there is one in Fitchburg near the Patch which is a poor neighborhood I could likely afford (someone called the one in the 'Burg Ghetto Basket lol, that's not fair to label it based on one store's clientele it's a good store with good selection that can save you some money)

Worcester is not as dense as Lawrence right? Is there more triple-deckers than Lawrence? Anyone recommend any of the Diners in Worcester? Do Leominster's poor neighborhoods have any advantage over Fitchburg's? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:47 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,217,127 times
What about Malden or Everett? You should be able to find cheaper rent with good access to jobs and public transit.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
What about Malden or Everett? You should be able to find cheaper rent with good access to jobs and public transit.

Good luck.

Good call, you're making me think. I have spent significant time driving around both Malden and Everett, not terrible places, although nothing to really see. I must want to leave the Boston area due to the congestion, and the fact that I will not be working in a white-collar profession - so what is the point of living here and paying a premium if I like the hills of Central and Western Mass better, topographically speaking? I also don't find the "good" food options in Boston's surrounding burbs to be that plentiful. Although the fact is, even in blue collar work you can make more money in the Boston area, but of course you pay a premium for housing (unless you live in Lawrence, Lynn, Chelsea, etc...) so it evens out. Unless I was to look into a roommate situation and caste a wide net. But then again, does it truly even out or is the jobs situation really that dire outside of Boston right now? I'm not sure, I guess I have to find out for myself.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:04 PM

404 posts, read 522,770 times
I'm thinking Rutland, paxton, Princeton MA area. Hilly. I just hope you like snow as their elevation (1000ft+) gets them pounded.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 PM

26,633 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Those are beautiful areas, IIRC. OP, I think I can help you to eliminate one area that you mentioned. Easthampton is no longer really cheap. It's become the refuge for people who can't afford Northamton.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:13 PM

57 posts, read 175,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobkcuf View Post
Also, Market Basket is a very good supermarket and there is one in Fitchburg near the Patch which is a poor neighborhood I could likely afford (someone called the one in the 'Burg Ghetto Basket lol, that's not fair to label it based on one store's clientele it's a good store with good selection that can save you some money)
Everyone in the Burg calls it the ghetto basket - even the people that shop there (like I used to). It's partly called the ghetto basket to distinguish it from the second one (There's a Market Basket on John Fitch which has a weird feel to it, but also slightly classier people). The other reason it's the Ghetto Basket is that you meet people shopping there who are wearing their pijamas in the middle of the day and who are clearly on crack. The prices are very good though.

If you are considering 'the patch' I would avoid the section at the bottom of the hill which looks like it has been carpet bombed. At one time it used to have a large Catholic church with a convent on the back (now closed), a strip club called 'the other side (shut down) and Henri's school of hair design (kaput). It's in poor shape now but the area up the hill is much better.

If you are after dumpier towns which aren't that dangerous and have cheap rents then you might want to consider Gardner, Athol or Winchentucky. These places are relatively cheap and there is less crime than the Twin Cities (although that does make the local paper more boring to read). Royalston has one of the best town commons in the state in my opinion but there is nothing there and the roads look like something out a third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts