Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

24 posts, read 31,328 times

Advertisements

Got into a conversation with a hotel manager in North Hampton area. He was black and a relatively unusual site to see someone who is black in a management position, in that area. At least I thought so based on my limited experience. I told him that I was looking for acceptable towns to live in , in the area. He went through the divisions of towns by street. A lot of help.

I asked him if he knew of towns in MA where there is a notable black, middle class community. It seems that in every town, if there is a black population, it's mostly poor and seen mostly in that light (drugs, crime, etc.). He said that as far as he knew there were only 2.

1) Oak Bluffs - and only in the summer
2) Cambridge - or rather, there used to be, and that black middle class community (of his father's generation) (this man - the son - grew up in Cambridge) is being or has already been gentrified out.

Does this square with your assessment? Are there any other places we missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie101 View Post
Got into a conversation with a hotel manager in North Hampton area. He was black and a relatively unusual site to see someone who is black in a management position, in that area. At least I thought so based on my limited experience. I told him that I was looking for acceptable towns to live in , in the area. He went through the divisions of towns by street. A lot of help.

I asked him if he knew of towns in MA where there is a notable black, middle class community. It seems that in every town, if there is a black population, it's mostly poor and seen mostly in that light (drugs, crime, etc.). He said that as far as he knew there were only 2.

2) Cambridge - or rather, there used to be, and that black middle class community (of his father's generation) (this man - the son - grew up in Cambridge) is being or has already been gentrified out.

Does this square with your assessment? Are there any other places we missed?
Possibly Milton - depends on what you mean by middle class.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 AM

well right now, I will take what you mean by middle class. Why Milton? Can you describe what you mean?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:16 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I'd have to go with Milton as well as the first town that popped into my head.

Quote:

Not sure I would agree with this one.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
well right now, I will take what you mean by middle class. Why Milton? Can you describe what you mean?
Well it's the first "good" town right outside the traditional black areas of Boston so if you have some money and want better schools for your children you'd try to move there.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd have to go with Milton as well as the first town that popped into my head.

Not sure I would agree with this one.
Boston Mike, are you suggesting that Oak Bluffs is now somewhat year round for middle class black families?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:41 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Boston Mike, are you suggesting that Oak Bluffs is now somewhat year round for middle class black families?
Oak Bluffs has a history as a black summer resort. In 2015, that has pretty much vanished. The middle class is priced out regardless of skin color. A local in OB is more likely to have some relative from the Azores a few generations back than anything else just like the rest of Southeastern Mass.

In my experience, the Massachusetts suburbs self-segregate along socioeconomic lines rather than race.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite actually.

OB had a reputation of being a summer vacation spot for black families in the early part of the 1900's, but these days the people vacationing on MV tend to be more upper middle class to wealthy....which tends to be predominately white.

African-American's have history on MV, but these days they have been priced out as a previous poster said.

http://mvafricanamericanheritagetrai...oakbluffs.html

Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 AM

816 posts, read 994,073 times
Honestly, not a lot of towns really come to mind. I feel like the closest to fit that bill would be Randolph.

You're more likely to find towns like that in greater Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:17 AM

560 posts, read 751,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my experience, the Massachusetts suburbs self-segregate along socioeconomic lines rather than race.
i would agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts