Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,281 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have posted on here before asking about Marblehead, but at the moment, we are still renters in Brookline. We love Brookline and would love to stay but the 40% increase in the housing market in the 2.5 years we've been there is making it difficult and we would like to buy something. SO we are trying to think of other ideas - Marblehead was one - and we are now thinking about Arlington. Would love some feedback if you live / have lived there.

Do you like it? Does it feel like a real community or just someplace to live?

I searched through as much as I could of Citydata forums before posting this - someone's opinion was that if you go to a playground and speak to people in Arlington, everyone is there b/c they were priced out of somewhere else and therefore many people are not really happy to live there. (in truth, we would be there for that reason too)... Do other people find this to be the case?

I have read a lot about budget cuts in the schools - how does this translate to the schools? They seem to still get good ratings? What's missing? Are they overcrowded? Is there a best school?

What's the community like? Is it diverse? Is it welcoming?

Pedestrian infrastructure is a key factor to us (and apparently many people). Do a lot of people walk / bike places?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:16 PM

434 posts, read 512,310 times
Arlington is full of walkers and bikers. I have a lot of friends there who love it. Do you have young kids? There are tons of playgroups, kids' activities, etc., which makes it very easy to meet people.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,996,512 times
Arlington is a great place to live. Very ped/bike friendly, although there are a lot of big hills in the Heights, and not all streets have sidewalks. Not all sidewalks get shoveled in the winter, either, so it's not as ped-friendly as some places.

Good sense of community. We had great neighbors when we lived there although everyone suffered from the same problem which was working too much to spend much time at home.

Quote:
I searched through as much as I could of Citydata forums before posting this - someone's opinion was that if you go to a playground and speak to people in Arlington, everyone is there b/c they were priced out of somewhere else and therefore many people are not really happy to live there. (in truth, we would be there for that reason too)... Do other people find this to be the case?
I never heard anything like this. Pretty much everyone I knew was happy to live there.

Quote:
Is it diverse?
It's very white, with almost no black people, and, I assume, a fair number of Asians. You can look up the exact demographics from the last census on City-Data.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,740,454 times
We're in the process of moving to the Boston area and Arlington is one of the towns on our list. Everyone to whom we've ever mentioned Arlington has said, "I LOVE Arlington!!!" It seems very nice and has nice town centers. If the most recent house we put an offer on doesn't pan out (in Newton), the next two houses on our list were in Arlington.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 640,836 times
Arlington has, in order of importance, (1) municipal trash pickup, and (2) high test scores. Everything else is just window dressing.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,337,534 times
Not so sure on the walking/biking thing, though the bike path is nice. To have anything walkable like one of the squares in Brookline you would need to live right in Arlington Center and then there is no T (Arlington nixed that idea in the 80s). As for schools, always talk to a parent of a current elementary school student for any meaningful insight. A good friend live there now and says he likes the elementary schools very much but wasn't as excited about the middle school that "looks like a prison" whatever that means. Test scores are fine, but again they correlate with socio-economic status and are no higher than here in west Somerville once you factor that in.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

434 posts, read 512,310 times
A friend teaches at the middle school and is consistently underwhelmed by the school. Elementary and high school are good, though.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,248,597 times
What would not allow you to visit and explore Arlington on your own? You sound as you are two continents away, but you do not live that far.

Winter is mild, playgrounds full of young couples such as yourself. Visit library, walk in center area, talk to people in toy store, or eat in one of many really good restaurants there. Opportunities are endless. You are in perfect position to mingle, and get first hand accounts from people who live there. They would be lot more helpful then this.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 AM

9,918 posts, read 7,264,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
A friend teaches at the middle school and is consistently underwhelmed by the school. Elementary and high school are good, though.
It's a middle school. Teachers teaching those ages (12-14) either love it or hate it. Puberty, moods, trying different life models.....

Old 02-05-2016, 06:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,740,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's a middle school. Teachers teaching those ages (12-14) either love it or hate it. Puberty, moods, trying different life models.....
I've heard both this complaint and this justification over and over again about the Arlington middle school. I haven't heard it anywhere else -- in the other towns, I've heard great things about the middle schools. As the parent of a middle schooler, this one aspect gives me some pause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts