Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:00 AM
jpq jpq started this thread

48 posts, read 150,143 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to MA from NC. My husband is from MA and does not want to move to RI even though he will be working in Providence. We have a 7 year old child so schools are important. We have narrowed it down to Sutton, Millis and Hopedale based on the following criteria:

good schools
rural town
small school population (approx 200 students per grade)
house price 350k max
less than 45 minute commute to Prov
activities for daughter (gymnastics, swim)
Catholic church nearby

Does anyone have any input or opinions that could help us in our decision making process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
All of the towns listed are fine. I lived in Millis for many years, it's very quite, with great schools and a great place to raise a family. Hopedale is a bit more on the depressed side. Sutton is also a very nice bedroom community of Worcester. Everyone is different, but truthfully, the drive to Providence everyday would get old real fast. Seekonk or North Attleboro might be a good compromise to stay in MA, but not familiar with the schools.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 PM

65 posts, read 233,996 times
Out of the 3 choices of Millis, Sutton and Hopedale, I'd choose Sutton. You can hop on Route 146 and be in Providence in less than 30 minutes....(weather and traffic permitting!) Schools have a good reputation and there is usually a Catholic church in every town in this area. You will get less of a house than you could in NC for $350,000 but you probably know that already. Good luck with the move....

Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,123 times
I don't really know anything about Sutton, but I would not choose Hopedale. Millis is a good family community.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM

967 posts, read 4,785,550 times
How about Hopkinton? Good schools, quiet town, Catholic church & daycare, swimming & gymnatics at the new Y www.metrowestymca.org/guide/YMCA_Guide.pdf (broken link) and lots of sports programs through the town recreation dept.

I used to do that drive in about 45-50 minutes and it was relatively easy because I could just hop right on 495 in town.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 PM
jpq jpq started this thread

48 posts, read 150,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
How about Hopkinton? Good schools, quiet town, Catholic church & daycare, swimming & gymnatics at the new Y www.metrowestymca.org/guide/YMCA_Guide.pdf (http://www.metrowestymca.org/guide/YMCA_Guide.pdf - broken link) and lots of sports programs through the town recreation dept.

I used to do that drive in about 45-50 minutes and it was relatively easy because I could just hop right on 495 in town.
We've thought of Hopkinton as well but the school enrollment is over 3000 students which is larger than we're looking for. But we won't rule it out. How does the size of Wrentham compare to Hopkinton? We'd love to find a small town with a quaint New England common.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Wrentham is a bit smaller, about 11,000 people. I'm not sure what you could get in that price range there (the same would be true of Hopkinton), but you may be able to find something.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 AM

9 posts, read 51,686 times
Millis has a school motto, "Small School, Big Family", which is true (I believe Millis is the smallest public school district in the state). Maybe it's too small for some (graduating classes of less than 100), but if you're looking for a small school system, Millis can't be beat.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 71,854 times
I'm curious as to why folks are not recommending Hopedale. We moved here a few months ago and find it to be a small, quiet town and rather well to do compared to some for its size. We are still learning about it so I'm interested in hearing more.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 19,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3each4me View Post
I'm curious as to why folks are not recommending Hopedale. We moved here a few months ago and find it to be a small, quiet town and rather well to do compared to some for its size. We are still learning about it so I'm interested in hearing more.
i am considering moving to Hopedale and saw your post. what do you think of Hopedale now, 5 years later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts