Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 5,603 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the great replies! Things look different when you're trying to compare averages and numbers from far away, so I appreciate the real world perspective. I also appreciate the info on rush hour traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What is the OP's idea of a good school system anyway?

I'd have to imagine any decent MA school is prob leaps and bounds better than schools in NV?

Lol, yes, I have heard our school system in Nevada is lacking. Mostly, we are looking for a higher rating on "great schools", and a place where there are fewer discipline and drug issues. My kids are in advanced classes and the G/T program, and I'm sure my oldest would be taking AP classes in the next couple of years. I'm sure they will be pushed academically, and I welcome that. I know everyone wants great schools for their kids, and we have a smaller budget for the area, so it will be difficult.

We are definitely priced out of Bedford. I will check on Chelmsford and Westford. I do have a few houses saved online in Acton and Lexington. I just need to research those specific areas better. But you are all helping me to narrow it down, so I appreciate that. I was trying to search on so many towns from "top 10 lists". Massachusetts must be a great place to live!

I am also concerned about the higher property taxes, along with having to pay MA income tax. We may only be in the area for 1-2 years, so it may make more sense to live in MA where property taxes are cheaper, and we could resell easier. Though I gather there are higher taxes (except for property taxes), so it may be a wash. The excise tax on vehicles is quite high, but seems comparable to our registration fees.

Is there anything else that I should budget for if we live in MA? I read that in some areas you have to pay for school buses. I'm sure my heating costs will be high, lol. Are wood-burning fireplaces common there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Lexington is probably my favorite town in Massachusetts. However I doubt you could find any move in ready home in that town for under a million dollars. The reason why Bedford has become more expensive in recent years is because people have been priced out of Lexington. Acton could be a good option, Acton-Boxboro high school is one of the highest rated in the state. Acton and Boxboro have more of a rual feel. Mass car insurance rates are fairly high so that might be something you have to budget for. The excise tax on cars in Mass is only high for new cars, after a few years it drops alot.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhfam6 View Post

Is there anything else that I should budget for if we live in MA? I read that in some areas you have to pay for school buses. I'm sure my heating costs will be high, lol. Are wood-burning fireplaces common there?

Car insurance is prob higher as well. Depends on what car you drive and where you actually end up living. Excise tax isn't bad provided your car isn't brand new. It's usually high when a car is new, and then drops as the car ages.

A lot of homes are still oil heat, so you may want to factor in a home heating oil budget. Wasn't bad this year, but there were some years previous that were terrible. Natural gas heating exists, but is more subject to certain areas than others. Again, will depend on where you live.

Wood burning fireplaces are common, but they generally don't heat the entire house as then tend to heat the room they are in, but not the rest of the house. Usually an insert helps mitigate this problem Wood burning or pellet stoves that do can be found, or installed.

Some towns do require you to pay for busing. There was a list that circulated here a while back.

Some towns require you to pay for preschool. IIRC, Tewksbury was one of them.

MA parents can be a little "obsessive" when it comes to schooling. We are at the point where I see parent putting decals to whatever little top tier preschool they send their peanut to. Everyone wants to be in the best school, but not everyone can afford it. MA schools overall are some of the best in the nation, so don't worry too much about getting into the best

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
As far as taxes, despite the "Taxachussetts" moniker, we have not really found that overall taxes are higher than in a number of other states we've lived in. We moved here from Pennsylvania, and even though, for example, income tax is slightly higher, in PA there were these local municipal income taxes you had to pay, so really the tax rate is about the same. Also, property taxes in MA were lower than where we were in PA. The thing is, the states need money, so if they're not taxing you on income or property, they're taxing you on something else. They have to get the money from somewhere.

Lexington is a great town, but if you can't afford Bedford, you can't afford Lexington. There's very little there for 700K, and what there is does not meet your stated requirements.

Many places have those bus fees, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not so bad. The biggest differences we have found are childcare/daycare, which we don't need, but it was way more money than it was in our old locale. And also any sort of construction/contracting work is significantly more money here. We got an estimate for a basic bathroom reno, and it was 30K. We had just redone a bathroom 3-4X the size back in PA, and it was $15K. So keep in mind if you are getting a house where you expect to renovate some portion of the house -- it will likely cost you more than you think.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM

I actually work in Billerica, and my commute is 30-45min from my area.

Towns around me that you might want to consider....

Wilmington
Reading
North Reading
Andover
N Andover
Lynnfield (although this one is prob too expensive)

To be honest, if you are only staying 1-2 years, why not just rent?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 AM

317 posts, read 431,546 times
Quote:

My kids have grown up here where it's pretty warm, little snow, and I grew up in Florida, so I'm a little apprehensive about winters.
Oh honey...

Yesterday was April 26th, and it was in the low 40's and rainy, with snow in parts of NH. Weather is unpredictable, but by comparison we had a mild winter this year, with over 10 feet of accumulation in just over a month during the prior winter.

----------

In your situation, it seems like you may benefit from prioritizing between 1) A really great school district and compromise on house size, or 2) a good school district and the house size you desire. An hour away in New Hampshire or Massachusetts is a personal preference (you should visit in advance if possible). I like the feel of New Hampshire more, but like being closer to Boston in MA.

There's no wrong answer of course. I could offer that, in my personal experience in coming from the Midwest, even the average MA (and likely NH) schools seem to offer a higher standard of education than the top schools in many parts of the Midwest. I can't speak for Nevada schools, but MA is typically ranked best state in the US for public education.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM

Thanks again! Great info! I apologize, I meant the town of Lancaster, not Lexington. I did love Lexington, but that is way too expensive for us. Thank you BostonMike, I will check into those areas for sure.

I agree that the governing entities will get the money they need one way or another. My husband has been in PA since November and had to pay all their county and state income taxes.

Tysmith, my husband's truck is 2 yrs old and we were planning to replace mine when my daughter turns 16 next year. Good to know it's only high for newer cars. But I will have to look into insurance rates as well. I will check more into Acton today, too, thank you!

We will buy a house instead of renting because my husband has good relocation benefits that pay realtor fees and closing costs on buying/selling houses. So I think it would be better to just go ahead and buy a home. Thank you, chicagoliz, for the heads up about renovations, because there are some houses we have considered that need reno.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
Oh honey...

Yesterday was April 26th, and it was in the low 40's and rainy, with snow in parts of NH. Weather is unpredictable, but by comparison we had a mild winter this year, with over 10 feet of accumulation in just over a month during the prior winter.
Yes, I am in for a big change, for sure! I told my husband we should have moved last year since this winter was so mild there. The next winter after a mild one always seems to be much worse than average. I will just have to go shopping for some larger clothes to fit all my layers.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM

Snow is fun. You end up looking forward to them after a while. Kids stay home, a lot of white collar workers stay home, and you get to go out in the yard and play and have some good fun time.

Yes, dealing with the snow is a hassle, and it's cold and ugly and makes driving interesting, but there are a lot of positives that come with it as well. I for one enjoy the prospect of an impending storm, granted my career allows me such luxuries as working from home and such.

A good set of snow tires or really good all-seasons on an AWD/4WD car and you will even manage fine with driving in it. Nothing short of 2 feet of snow prevents me from making at least one trip to Dunks in a storm.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
I am also concerned about the higher property taxes, along with having to pay MA income tax. We may only be in the area for 1-2 years, so it may make more sense to live in MA where property taxes are cheaper, and we could resell easier.
Why would anyone consider buying real estate if they're only going to be in the area for 1-2 years? That would be a financial bloodbath unless it's a corporate relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts