Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
True but the more walkable the neighborhood, the more foot traffic you get walking into the local stores. If you need to drive to a specific destination like Target every time you need something you are more likely to pass that up and go online.
I think this is exactly right. In my anecdote about buying the level -- I really wanted it that day. And I could walk over and get it when I got my son from school. It was very easy. If I had needed to get in the car and drive out to Natick to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get it, there is a very good chance I would have just gone onto amazon and ordered it, because I wouldn't have wanted to drive out there that day, and wouldn't be sure that I'd be heading out that way in the day or two after that, either. I'd figure that it was almost as good to wait two days and have it delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 11:20 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,816,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I think this is exactly right. In my anecdote about buying the level -- I really wanted it that day. And I could walk over and get it when I got my son from school. It was very easy. If I had needed to get in the car and drive out to Natick to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get it, there is a very good chance I would have just gone onto amazon and ordered it, because I wouldn't have wanted to drive out there that day, and wouldn't be sure that I'd be heading out that way in the day or two after that, either. I'd figure that it was almost as good to wait two days and have it delivered.
Why would you drive out to Natick? There are 2 Home Depots nearby in Waltham and Watertown. Every town has its own hardware store though - in Newton you have an Ace Hardware in the Lake (this is the one I always went to when I lived there).

Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Why would you drive out to Natick? There are 2 Home Depots nearby in Waltham and Watertown. Every town has its own hardware store though - in Newton you have an Ace Hardware in the Lake (this is the one I always went to when I lived there).
I know we're veering way off subject here, but I'd probably drive out to Natick rather than go to Waltham or even Watertown because I happen to know exactly how to get out to Natick and it is an easy drive (as long as it's not during rush hour, which it usually isn't if I go out there). Plus, it is near a number of other places that I might go to if I were out in Natick, anyway. And if, somehow, Home Depot didn't have what I wanted, I could easily go over to the Lowe's, whereas there is no Lowes in the other two locations. (Also, it is very, very easy for me to get onto Route 9 from where I live.)

I've found that driving into Watertown has been kind of a pain, but I haven't gone that frequently, so I can't say for sure.

I haven't looked up the Ace, because in some ways it's the worst of both -- they might not have what I want, yet I still have to drive there. If there was an Ace that was walkable to me, I'd go.

But my point was really about being able to walk to a local business, versus going to a suburban shopping hub with a big box store.

What I really like about Newton is that it does have quite a few local businesses that are either walkable from my home, or that I could get to via the T, or with a very short drive, but I still have easy access to the suburban shopping Mecca that is Natick when I do need it.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I haven't looked up the Ace, because in some ways it's the worst of both -- they might not have what I want, yet I still have to drive there. If there was an Ace that was walkable to me, I'd go.

But my point was really about being able to walk to a local business, versus going to a suburban shopping hub with a big box store.

What I really like about Newton is that it does have quite a few local businesses that are either walkable from my home, or that I could get to via the T, or with a very short drive, but I still have easy access to the suburban shopping Mecca that is Natick when I do need it.
Here's the great thing about dealing with the local Ace or even National Lumber in Newton - you can pick up the phone and deal with someone who has been working there for a decade and they can tell you exactly if they have what you want.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here's the great thing about dealing with the local Ace or even National Lumber in Newton - you can pick up the phone and deal with someone who has been working there for a decade and they can tell you exactly if they have what you want.
That's true. I've been to the National Lumber a couple times.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The Ace in Needham Center (Harvey's Hardware) is a local institution. The Ace over in Wellesley (Green's Hardware) is regarded in the same way there. Even though the prices are significantly higher and the selection significantly smaller at Harvey's vs. Lowe's or HD, I still often find myself going there. First, because it's super convenient being that it's right in the town center. Second, because the people who work there actually know what they're talking about. They can help you with your home project and they make sure you end up buying the right items.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM

425 posts, read 647,579 times
I find the inner 128 prices perplexing….I grew up in Arlington in the 80’s - coming home after 15 years on the west coast, I am much happier out in the metrowest like L-S, Weston, Concord….and I work in Cambridge too. People pay a premium for “walkability” and “commute” but I disagree on what you really get. Living in Jason Heights was a *pain* as a kid...I was always walking or riding a bike up a hill…now as an adult, I despise anything but flatland. If I still lived in Arlington, I probably would use the T to get into Cambridge and the commute differential between taking the T (walk, bus, shuttle to office) vs driving from Lincoln is at most 30 minutes…I can live with that. Kids these days just don’t roam around town to go hang out with friends….days are structured with activities…camps…point being if I am dropping major $$$ on a house, it ain’t gonna be Arlington/adjacent.

Only exception I can see are the rich Asians who want to hang with their people hence the craziness in Lexington Same phenom in both LA and the Bay area where I lived…Asian buyers crushed the market in certain towns.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:02 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
I find the inner 128 prices perplexing….I grew up in Arlington in the 80’s - coming home after 15 years on the west coast, I am much happier out in the metrowest like L-S, Weston, Concord….and I work in Cambridge too. People pay a premium for “walkability” and “commute” but I disagree on what you really get. Living in Jason Heights was a *pain* as a kid...I was always walking or riding a bike up a hill…now as an adult, I despise anything but flatland. If I still lived in Arlington, I probably would use the T to get into Cambridge and the commute differential between taking the T (walk, bus, shuttle to office) vs driving from Lincoln is at most 30 minutes…I can live with that. Kids these days just don’t roam around town to go hang out with friends….days are structured with activities…camps…point being if I am dropping major $$$ on a house, it ain’t gonna be Arlington/adjacent.

Only exception I can see are the rich Asians who want to hang with their people hence the craziness in Lexington Same phenom in both LA and the Bay area where I lived…Asian buyers crushed the market in certain towns.
The commute to Boston or Kendall from Arlington and Belmont is overrated unless you live within a couple of blocks of one of the train stations. That said, our oldest does go roam around to friends houses quite a bit, sometimes it just to do homework, often its weekend afternoons. Not driving is hugely liberating for me and our family and saves literally weeks of time if you add up the commute time that is essentially wasted when you drive from Concord to Cambridge. Instead of traffic I get exercise on my commute and it's actually one of the more fun parts of every day.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:23 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The Ace in Needham Center (Harvey's Hardware) is a local institution. The Ace over in Wellesley (Green's Hardware) is regarded in the same way there. Even though the prices are significantly higher and the selection significantly smaller at Harvey's vs. Lowe's or HD, I still often find myself going there. First, because it's super convenient being that it's right in the town center. Second, because the people who work there actually know what they're talking about. They can help you with your home project and they make sure you end up buying the right items.
Totally agree. The Ace in Quincy, called Curry Hardware, is a real gem too. They have by far the best customer service, and their people know their stuff and are really willing to help in any way. Of course the price is almost double or even triple what you see in Lowes or HD.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Mike

I think 2 to 3 times is a bit of a reach:

Traeger - *The Home Depot

http://www.curryhardware.com/wp-cont...-Ad_Page_2.jpg

I often shop my local ACE Hardware and 20 to 40% higher is the norm. Not 2 to 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts