Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 PM

252 posts, read 348,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not all of New England may be Asian-friendly, but I'm not sure.

There are certainly parts which are not diverse or as highly educated as metro Boston or metro Providence.

You may live in a friendly town, but will some of your leads take you to homogenized white America with pockets with little contact with different types of folks?
I'm sure in my regional sales position, i will deal with all sorts of people throughout the region. I'm fine with that as i get along with everyone, every ethnicity, etc. I've worked in sales all my life and I've grown accustomed to dealing with all sorts of people. I'm sure i'll get leads and have to come across someone who doesn't "do business with Asians". Which is fine, it'll happen. I'll shrug it off and move onto the next person.

As far as the entire region of New England, which states are going to be more "city like"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think $1500 would get you something decent in either Hartford or Providence, but still way too low for Boston.
Horsecrud. I an many if not most of my friends live in Somerville and Cambridge, and none of us pay more than $1500 for a one bedroom. Most around $1200-1300. I pay less but have been there 4 years now. All the places are at least decent, if not downright nice. It takes work to find em, but they're here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
As far as the entire region of New England, which states are going to be more "city like"?
None of the states are "city like", the cities are. Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven... and a smattering of others.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:53 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Great input! Thank you.

Since you and I work in sales covering relatively the same area. Where would you recommend living? I'll be traveling for work most of the time and probably doing overnights multiples a week at hotels.

Is there a central location you'd recommend? Also would be nice if it had nice restaurants and activities to enjoy while I'm actually "home" on my days off/weekend, etc.
Speaking from a job perspective only, I would suggest locating somewhere in the area bordered by I95, I90, I495, and US3. That is just outside of Boston and would minimize your drive time to where your clients most likely would be. If you go further towards I495, the rents will be cheaper but things to do are more limited.

Portsmouth, NH, Providence, RI, and Burlington, VT are all fun, vibrant cities. But it gets old quickly when you have to drive 4-5 hours to get to your customers. I don't know your industry, but most of my business comes from greater Boston and Fairfield County, CT. As much as I love Burlington, VT, the 4.5 hour drive to FFC twice a month would kill me.

I'm going to suggest Waltham, Natick, Framingham - all in MA - as places you could consider. Waltham has lots of dining options, is more urban, and is closer to Boston than the other two which are more suburban. But you will have to up your rent budget.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 AM

288 posts, read 635,465 times
I'm Asian American and grew up in Boston. I've never had problems with other adults visiting other states in New England. If I were in your place, I would try to live in the Boston area. If you want to date other people, I think the Boston area is much better for a young person. There are so many young transplants coming in because of jobs and the schools, you'll have a much bigger and better dating market. Most people in the Boston area your age meet through social media apps, so you'll probably make friends faster with shared interests.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharencare View Post
I'm Asian American and grew up in Boston. I've never had problems with other adults visiting other states in New England. If I were in your place, I would try to live in the Boston area. If you want to date other people, I think the Boston area is much better for a young person. There are so many young transplants coming in because of jobs and the schools, you'll have a much bigger and better dating market. Most people in the Boston area your age meet through social media apps, so you'll probably make friends faster with shared interests.
Thanks for this information. I greatly appreciate it. I would love to live in boston. I guess it'll depend on how much of a salary and COL of living adjustment I can negotiate for.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:10 PM

434 posts, read 511,416 times
I'd look at Quincy. Very large Asian population (well, for this area) and affordable rents (again, relatively! ). It's right on the red line, so you're just a few stops away from Boston. A budget of $1000/month might be tricky, but I know there are one bedrooms available for around $1200.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I'd look at Quincy. Very large Asian population (well, for this area) and affordable rents (again, relatively! ). It's right on the red line, so you're just a few stops away from Boston. A budget of $1000/month might be tricky, but I know there are one bedrooms available for around $1200.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely look into it.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM

317 posts, read 332,233 times
I would definitely look into the immediate surrounding areas of Boston. Waltham, Cambridge, Somerville, even Brighton which is technically in Boston. There are so many young professionals and nightlife in these places and all have public transportation to Boston on the weekends. It is entirely possible to find a one bed for $1500-1800/month. Just make sure you research which are safer areas cause a few have "bad" area but are otherwise very safe, like many city/large towns.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:14 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,554,063 times
Portsmouth, NH is a great town.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
I would definitely look into the immediate surrounding areas of Boston. Waltham, Cambridge, Somerville, even Brighton which is technically in Boston. There are so many young professionals and nightlife in these places and all have public transportation to Boston on the weekends. It is entirely possible to find a one bed for $1500-1800/month. Just make sure you research which are safer areas cause a few have "bad" area but are otherwise very safe, like many city/large towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Portsmouth, NH is a great town.
thanks for the information and recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts