Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM

252 posts, read 348,578 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum and would like some insight/information/advice.

I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a new position with my company. I had originally intended on moving to NY (possibly Syracuse, Albany, etc) but it looks like my company is going to give that spot to another candidate and they asked if I would consider living in the "northeast", specifically the New England region.

I'm not too familiar with the entire New England region but I know it comprises of VT, NH, NY, CT, ME, and RI. I'm looking for some suggestions as to where I should live given the following information:

30 years old, Asian male. I will be working in sales and I will be covering practically the entire New England area so I will be traveling a lot but in terms of where I should pick a place to live, I was thinking of either Massachusetts, or Connecticut?

I'm looking to be in a safer area, possibly with other Asian groups relatively near by. I prefer to be relatively near the city as I'm coming from Los Angeles, CA. I'm aiming to look for an apartment with rent costs around $1K? (is that reasonable)?

Although I hate to admit it, I do know that certain areas may be a little more "racist" to Asians and I really wish racism didn't exist in this world but it's just a simple fact of life. I don't want to be in an area where I'll face racism constantly or where my life might be in "danger" but I know it'll probably happen sooner or later as I'll be traveling throughout the entire region for work.

Can anyone PLEASE recommend some neighborhoods to look into given the information I've provided. Also, what is the median salary necessary to be able to live "comfortably" in the Northeast? Any additional information is GREATLY appreciated and thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
I'm an Asian male also, albeit a bit older than 30 If I were in your shoes, I would look at Providence (first) or Boston (second). But $1K will not work in either location, or even Hartford for that matter. You will not want to be in any city/town that's smaller than those; even there, I struggle to think of what $1K/mo would get you. I think you'll need to increase that by 50%.

I would not worry about racism. The Northeast/New England states are one of the most socially liberal regions of the US. You should base your search on where you like the vibe, and preferably with good interstate access so that you can drive around with reasonable travel times.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,701,405 times
1) NY is not part of New England and claiming it is will get you tarred and feathered in both places.

2) Renting your own apartment for $1k/month isn't possible in Boston or nearby suburbs. If you're willing to live in further out places it might be possible.

3) Will you encounter racism? In general I don't think you will.

4) LA is probably more expensive than Boston. That said, Boston itself is pretty expensive and the rest of the region not so much (although still higher than the national average).

Old 06-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm an Asian male also, albeit a bit older than 30 If I were in your shoes, I would look at Providence (first) or Boston (second). But $1K will not work in either location, or even Hartford for that matter. You will not want to be in any city/town that's smaller than those; even there, I struggle to think of what $1K/mo would get you. I think you'll need to increase that by 50%.

I would not worry about racism. The Northeast/New England states are one of the most socially liberal regions of the US. You should base your search on where you like the vibe, and preferably with good interstate access so that you can drive around with reasonable travel times.
Thanks for the input. I was only initially aiming for $1k because after looking at Syracuse NY I was able to find pretty good apartments around that range so i figured maybe neighboring states would be somewhat similar.

So $1500 would be more ideal for typical rent of an apartment?

Thanks for the clarification on the racism part. I understand people may have their reservations and what not but I just didn't want to be in an area where "my kind" aren't welcomed and I can't even feel safe walking around at night, etc.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
1) NY is not part of New England and claiming it is will get you tarred and feathered in both places.

2) Renting your own apartment for $1k/month isn't possible in Boston or nearby suburbs. If you're willing to live in further out places it might be possible.

3) Will you encounter racism? In general I don't think you will.

4) LA is probably more expensive than Boston. That said, Boston itself is pretty expensive and the rest of the region not so much (although still higher than the national average).
Sorry - I didn't mean to include New York as part of New England. I was just referring to it being in the "northeast" region of the country.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM

536 posts, read 845,705 times
Hi, logix, I just compared the relative cost of living in LA and Boston and Boston comes in at 144 and LA at 167--but these are averages and the neighborhoods in central Boston comfortable with all kinds of people are probably about where LA is on the COL scale or even higher.

There are fewer Asians in New England than on the West Coast.

I think CT might be a better bet for you than the Boston area even given the higher costs near NYC. Research the demographics of communities you might consider.

$1000 isn't to be expected in Boston except in a tiny studio apt or a roommate situation. I am looking to retire in NE and my expected rent while I am looking to buy is c. 1500 for a small apt (not a studio). That is hard even in Portland Maine. You might like Portland but there is not a big Asian population there. Maybe try Quincy MA? Quite close to Boston, on the T, more reasonable rents. I just don't like the dingy, dusty look of the place even though my parents grew up there.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times
Take a look at Providence Rhode Island. Much more affordable than Boston and still a fun city. Plus you are only an hour from the city of Boston if you want a bigger city.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Thanks for the input. I was only initially aiming for $1k because after looking at Syracuse NY I was able to find pretty good apartments around that range so i figured maybe neighboring states would be somewhat similar.

So $1500 would be more ideal for typical rent of an apartment?

Thanks for the clarification on the racism part. I understand people may have their reservations and what not but I just didn't want to be in an area where "my kind" aren't welcomed and I can't even feel safe walking around at night, etc.
I think $1500 would get you something decent in either Hartford or Providence, but still way too low for Boston.

I would look hard at Providence (and you should post your question in the RI forum, by the way). It has some great urban neighborhoods, art & culture (helped of course by several universities), and is renowned for its dining options. Very decent access via highway and train to Boston, close to beaches, and culturally diverse.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Take a look at Providence Rhode Island. Much more affordable than Boston and still a fun city. Plus you are only an hour from the city of Boston if you want a bigger city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think $1500 would get you something decent in either Hartford or Providence, but still way too low for Boston.

I would look hard at Providence (and you should post your question in the RI forum, by the way). It has some great urban neighborhoods, art & culture (helped of course by several universities), and is renowned for its dining options. Very decent access via highway and train to Boston, close to beaches, and culturally diverse.

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate all the information so far!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:45 PM

822 posts, read 859,021 times
Yeah..I'd go with Providence. You can definitely find a nice place for 1K a month. Providence is pretty diverse for a city it's size, so I wouldn't worry about racism at all. There is a good amount of Asians here..as well as many other ethnic backgrounds. Close to Boston, not too far from NYC, and you can take a train or bus to both with ease. Providence can be a fun little city if you pay attention to all that's going on. Great restaurant and arts scene as well. Cool architecture. Southern New England also has a milder climate compared to N. New England. From areas south of Boston down through CT there is significantly less snow and 20-30 warmer..... usually ...its New England after all...you never know what you'll get.....get used to that lol. I live in Providence. I can answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by mvpsharky; 06-01-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts