Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 11,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Brighton is generally a tad quieter than Allston and doesn't have quite as many of the rowdy college students. When my husband lived in Allston, there were lots of students and a lot of yelling and shouting and empty beer bottles all over the place and people urinating in the elevators, etc. But, with overall housing costs having gotten so expensive since then, I'm not sure if this is really the same now, and BU has built more dorms than they had back then, so maybe more students who would have lived off campus live on campus now. Many of the people I knew who lived in Brighton were happy with the area.

I know it sucks when you've lived in a larger space for many years and acquired a lot of stuff. I moved tons of stuff many times and I now realize that I really should not have moved most of it. Sometimes it costs more to move an item than it would to buy the item new. And if you pay to store it long term -- unless it's something really high quality and valuable or has some significant sentimental/personal value, it's not worth it, since again, after you add up the monthly cost of storing the stuff for a lengthy period of time, you probably could have bought new stuff. So, I'd try to take a really good and hard look at what you have and ask yourself if you really need/want it. (To quote the mysteriously popular Marie Kondo -- does it "spark joy?") Or if you have parents or someone else who lives in the area you live in now, but has a large unfurnished basement or attic and is willing to store the stuff for you, that might be an option.

For public transportation, you'd probably need to take a bus from Brighton to Waltham, but I don't know how easy that is. I haven't had to do that, so I haven't figured it out. But by car, it is at least a reasonable distance away.

I've lived in some of those managed complexes, too. The thing is, you don't see a lot of them in the older parts of high density population cities. You tend to see them further out in the suburbs, or in areas that don't have old, established, desirable areas. If you do see a managed complex in those areas, they're usually astronomically expensive. I've also lived in buildings or units owned by an individual landlord, and I guess I've been lucky, because I've had good experiences. When I lived in Chicago, the landlords (a married couple) had a "tenant appreciation night" and invited all their tenants to dinner at a restaurant in Chinatown, which was awesome. The other owners weren't quite as friendly, but they were still nice enough and I never had an issue with them not being responsive to any issues. Generally, I've had better experiences with these types of landlords than I had with the managed complexes.
Thank you for the advice! As I pack up, I am trying to be more selective about what I am taking with me.

Yes, I am a little familiar with Allston/Brighton and was dismayed when I heard the story about the beer bottles. The person was pretty adamant that Allston's not the best. It seems perfectly fine to me. Just unsure where people park there. I lived in NYC at one point and "terrible" is certainly relative. Can't say I have seen terrible anywhere in the Boston area yet TBH.

I did stop by Alpha Realty in Allston and someone showed me a few apartments. They were dives and I strongly suggest people avoid the company. Not saying the owner is typical of Allston although he appears to have sizable holdings there. This guy seems pretty notorious so this is probably old news here:
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/a...ndlord-boston/
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...joN/story.html
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...CGO/story.html

Miccozzi Management also in Allston seemed a bit better although they didn't seem too interested in me.

The search continues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 PM

161 posts, read 231,012 times
Avoid alpha realty and any property they manage! They are terrible, and I am glad you caught that.

I recommend the Oak Sq section of Brighton or Watertown. It is quieter with mostly graduate students and young professionals, and parking is much easier. Both options are closer to Waltham than Allston. You can drive back roads all the way or catch the bus to Newton Corner and transfer to the 554 bus for Bentley.

Other options might be Newton Corner or West Newton along the 554 bus.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegegrrl View Post
I will be attending Bentley in the fall and desperately need a place to stay. I am in my 30s and prefer to live alone. I also prefer managed complexes instead of having to deal with private landlords, brokers, etc.

There are some managed complexes in Framingham. Not finding this anywhere else remotely close to Waltham. Most of the apartment complexes in Waltham are astronomically priced or have closed waiting lists. I am looking to keep my housing budget as low as possible while in school - ideally below $1500/mo. I have a car but would prefer a public transit option in the event something goes wrong with it. There does not appear to be any public transit options from Framingham to Waltham - is this correct?

Having dealt with Mass Pike in the past, I know it's no picnic during rush hour. Exactly how bad is the commute from Framingham to Waltham during rush hour? How many hours am I looking at behind the wheel if I have to be in school five days a week? I've done the drive on a traffic-less weekend and it was 45 minutes one way. I also work part time in Boston and have no idea how this would all work out.

Any other suggestions re: decent towns to live in? Someone suggested Somerville but I am not finding anything there. Cambridge and Somerville are great areas but appear to require a broker.
I think you've correctly identified the difficulty of your requirements. I don't think I'd consider your situation as long as you keep sticking to what amount to impossible conditions. I used to live not far from Bentley near Waverly Square (it was a big two+ bedroom for $1450/month) and I've lived in a complex in Waltham. The complex was far sketchier and felt less safe and less friendly. If I were in your position, I'd abandon the need for a big complex. You may need a roommate, too. I certainly wouldn't live in Framingham if I were going to college at Bentley. Your preferences might be different, but you're likely going to have to give something up.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
As a single woman, I prefer a large managed complex with security and someone on call 24/7 if something goes wrong. I can understand why you do not like them, but I am not talking about something reminiscent of the Bronx.
Still wondering how much of a hike going farther out will be re: time. Is the commute so bad that it is ill-advised or just more of a PITA?
Good luck finding that on your budget anywhere near Waltham! I mean, if you could afford $3000 for a one bedroom, sure, you'll get your security.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I feel I cannot do roommates. I am an only child and have been on my own for my entire adult life so far. Plus, I feel too old for it (30s). I think it would disastrous.
I understand this feeling, and would have preferred to live alone, but I've actually always had roommates. You don't have to share a bedroom (although that's always a possibility). Many times you get lucky and you have a roommate with a different schedule than your's, so you aren't always seeing the roommate. And if you're in a 2 BR, you can always heat up food in the kitchen and take it into your own room. I know it's not as ideal as having the whole place to yourself, but something's gotta give. Maybe you could try it for a year and that way you'll have a better sense of the area and your schedule and more 'inside' info on where to find a place you could have on your own.
(And up here it's not at all uncommon for people in their 30s and 40s to have roommates -- this comes up a lot in this forum.)

Quote:
As a single woman, I prefer a large managed complex with security and someone on call 24/7 if something goes wrong. I can understand why you do not like them, but I am not talking about something reminiscent of the Bronx.
Still wondering how much of a hike going farther out will be re: time. Is the commute so bad that it is ill-advised or just more of a PITA?
The thing is, at your budget, even if you're in a managed complex, it doesn't mean they have security. I don't recall any security in the managed complexes where I've lived. And even if a place does have security, that doesn't mean they're worth anything. I think, in some ways, having a roommate might give more security than a managed complex -- they might notice if you don't come home, etc. And, in some cases, it could be safer in a non-managed complex, because often those homes are in areas where there are lots of people who own their own homes, and people who live in the area long term (LL's tend to prefer good tenants, who will be around for a long time, so they try to hang on to good ones, where as big complexes are more set up for, and expect, short term rental tenants, so they attract a wider variety of people).

Plus, most LL's have some kind of ability to reach them 24/7 in an emergency -- whether it's calling them directly, or more typically, calling a service. If a pipe bursts, the LL sure wants to know about it ASAP - he owns the place, after all, and doesn't want it destroyed.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
I don't really understand why OP has Fram but not Natick on her radar screen. Both are kind of pain in the butt to get to/from Bentley but at least Natick is a tad closer and there are plenty of condo's for rent around the W. Natick Commuter Rail station. I know 1 bed apts go for 1200-1300... meeting OP's criteria and that area is pretty safe and quiet. The Commuter Rail isn't going to help OP get to Bentley though.

I agree all that other folks said about managed apartment complexes - you don't necessarily end up with a safer living situation just because it's 'managed' vs. privately owned by the LL. I lived 10+ yrs in an in-law apartment that was converted from a garage in a split 60's range in a residential neighborhood. I had plenty of yard space, my own driveway and the street was super quiet. It was a lucky find off Craigslist. The rent was 850 all those years, incl heat and elect, until I moved to my own place 3.5 yrs ago. Of course there are down sides too, like paper thin walls in the cheaply built house, hearing foot steps whenever someone walks upstairs, LL not fixing up much, etc., but I loved the peace and privacy. It does take a lot of luck to find a nice apt - I want to move to another private apt (before I bought my own house) but I the ones I went to look at were either too small, in a damp and dark basement, didn't have a real kitchen, etc...for about 1200.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good luck finding that on your budget anywhere near Waltham! I mean, if you could afford $3000 for a one bedroom, sure, you'll get your security.
Yes, the pricing for complexes in Waltham is terrible. I pay $1500 a month now and have that but I'm on the South Shore.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:10 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Quote:
Yes, the pricing for complexes in Waltham is terrible. I pay $1500 a month now and have that but I'm on the South Shore.

Wait, you're already here in Eastern MA? I got the impression that you were coming from out of the region. Could you commute to Bentley from your current location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts