Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:52 AM

27 posts, read 39,306 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share any info about the diversity in Shrewsbury? I understand there is a high Indian/Asian (chinese, Vietnamese ect) population. Is there significantly more Indians than Asians, or are both groups pretty high in terms of what's around there? Also, what are the public schools diversity like in Shrewsbury?

Lastly,
Does anyone know when the new Lakeway Commons apartments/townhomes will be available for rent/purchase and any idea on what they will go for in terms of cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:02 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCABOS View Post
Can anyone share any info about the diversity in Shrewsbury? I understand there is a high Indian/Asian (chinese, Vietnamese ect) population. Is there significantly more Indians than Asians, or are both groups pretty high in terms of what's around there? Also, what are the public schools diversity like in Shrewsbury?

Lastly,
Does anyone know when the new Lakeway Commons apartments/townhomes will be available for rent/purchase and any idea on what they will go for in terms of cost?
I feel like I've addressed this a number of times if you search. As far as MA is concerned, it's fairly diverse, with roughly 75% of the population white and 15% (and growing) Asian.

When I went through the system (grad '03) the Asian population was quite diverse with no single ethnic group being dominant - Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese (limited), Indian, Pakistani were all present. I suspect Indians are now dominant ethnic group among Asians, based on both my own observations and a Globe article which cited Shrewsbury as having the third highest Indian population after Boston and Cambridge.

You'll frequently see posters claiming Westborough has a large Indian population, but this is only true on a "per capita" basis with a total population comparable with many MA towns/cities such as Quincy, Lowell, Burlington, etc. Shrewsbury actually has a notably larger Indian population, albeit as a smaller share of the total population.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
No place in New England is really diverse.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
No place in New England is really diverse.
Many neighborhoods in Boston are, Lowell mass is very diverse. Lots of Connecticut cities have diversity. Your statement would hold true if you were talking about Northern New England but most Southern New England cities have lots of diversity.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Many neighborhoods in Boston are, Lowell mass is very diverse. Lots of Connecticut cities have diversity. Your statement would hold true if you were talking about Northern New England but most Southern New England cities have lots of diversity.
I grew up in MA and spent nearly 30 years there before moving to CA 10 years ago. MA still doesn't seem so diverse but I live in the state with the 2nd lowest white population now. I guess MA is more diverse then it was when I left looking at stats but yeah Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire are the 3 whitest states in the country at 94%, 92% and 92%

Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,601 times
Quote:
Is there significantly more Indians than Asians
Did India finally join Europe, or did it just secede and form its own continent?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
To defend DCABOS here, I know what you're getting at but colloquially speaking, we tend to label Indians as "Indians" or "South Asians" and Chinese, Koreans and Japanese as "Asians."

Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
To defend DCABOS here, I know what you're getting at but colloquially speaking, we tend to label Indians as "Indians" or "South Asians" and Chinese, Koreans and Japanese as "Asians."
Sure, but those aren't the kind of broad-brush labels I'd expect from someone who actually cares about diversity (as opposed to, say, just finding a town with a big Indian population).

Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Sure, but those aren't the kind of broad-brush labels I'd expect from someone who actually cares about diversity (as opposed to, say, just finding a town with a big Indian population).
I think we're being a bit nitpicky here. These are just colloquial terms used by Americans to describe the origins of certain groups of people. For example, if this were England, when someone says "Asian," they usually mean Pakistani or Indian. In the US, Americans usually use "Asian" to talk about East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean). These probably aren't the most accurate terms to use, but I think everyone knew what he or she meant.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:50 AM

344 posts, read 336,648 times
Quote:

Lastly,
I think they are going to be done next summer. My in-laws are on a waiting/info list for the townhouses. I don't think they have a set price yet, but if I remember correctly, I think they are thinking somewhere between 300-400.

I bet you they will go fairly quickly. Spag's is hallowed ground in Shrewsbury it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts