Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Of that 36%, how much of it is cars and consumer debt?

You'll have a $432K mortgage. $2,062 per month mortgage payment. What is the mil rate of the town or what town? I'll say $20 per thousand on full $540K assessment for property taxes until I have better information. $10,800 in property taxes. Do you have a quote for homeowners insurance? I'd pencil in $2,000 until I had one.

I get housing cost of $35,544. That's 29.62% of your gross. The old school lending criteria was 28% for housing and 33% total. It's a really bad idea to exceed either of those.

==========
Edited

I just saw that the OP says Milton. The mil rate is $13.56. Assuming $34K for mortgage, taxes, and insurance, I get 28.4% of gross income for housing. For a first time home buyer where you'd expect their income to rise, that's not bad unless it's a wreck of a house.

Last edited by GeoffD; 03-07-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 AM

34 posts, read 32,765 times
We currently are debt free. We will probably decline the offer and wait until something cheaper comes along that has equally good schools and less than an hour commute to most parts of Boston proper.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canwedoit View Post
wait until something cheaper comes along that has equally good schools and less than an hour commute to most parts of Boston proper.

You want what everyone else who lives in MA wants. Good schools, short commute. Unfortunately, that comes with a price and it ain't cheap.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
First and foremost, you should be buying a house in the area where you really want to live. The speculation about whether it will be "hot" in the future should not be the deciding factor.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM

34 posts, read 32,765 times
For what it's worth, the house is in pretty immaculate condition. the main reason we want to buy is because we're definitely going to be here for at least 7 more years. paying rent knowing that seems silly.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM

229 posts, read 384,884 times
if(no_kids):
continue_renting at low $1000 && invest elsewhere
else if(kid < 2 years):
buy (condo || townhouse) near workplace # single family too much work and more expensive
else:
buy (condo || townhouse || single-family) in good school district

Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
I believe you have to report income from renters and pay taxes on it on your returns. Keep that in mind regarding balance sheet.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:14 AM

880 posts, read 820,556 times
canwedoit,

A few comments, if you have a CS degree then you definitely have potential to increase your salary if you keep up to date. A warning though, offshoring is real and stable, lower paid software jobs are exactly the type that get offshored first because the skills are easily found overseas for 2/10th of the cost.

It doesn't matter that your are "only" earning 70k as a software engineer, when the same job can be done for 14k in India. Its the higher paid software jobs with require skills set X,Y,Z and kept up to date which are harder to find replacements...

Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, the house is in pretty immaculate condition. the main reason we want to buy is because we're definitely going to be here for at least 7 more years. paying rent knowing that seems silly.
Again, you have to decide for yourself. If the mortgage payment is comparable to the rental payment, I'd probably do it.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
We currently are debt free. We will probably decline the offer and wait until something cheaper comes along that has equally good schools and less than an hour commute to most parts of Boston proper.
I think this is a great idea.

Honestly, when I first read your post my heart rate increased slightly thinking about taking out a mortgage like that on a $120K income. But it's obvious that you're not reckless with money. It's great that you are debt-free, that you've saved six figures to put down on a house. It sounds like the savings plan you have now is working well for you, so I would keep at it until you find a less expensive house or until you have more of a cushion (putting your entire savings down on a house is too risky). I completely understand--it took my husband and I years to save for our downpayment and at times I wanted to jump on a property I loved, but being patient paid off and when we did buy our house, it was so much less stressful knowing we weren't stretching.

Two quick things:
1. if you love your job, I wouldn't jump into something more competitive for the higher pay. Again, it sounds like you both are able to save right now, so don't risk being unhappy in your job for a house.
2. even if the house is in immaculate condition, I still think it's too risky to put ALL of your savings down on a house. Two weeks before we closed our dog got sick and needed a $10K surgery. I was so thankful that it didn't throw a wrench in our plans or cause a great deal of stress over the house (since I needed to put all of my energy into helping him). Life happens, you want a financial cushion! Our emergency fund was always separate from our house savings account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts