Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That commute to the commuter rail is 7-12 minutes for the most part.

The OP has a list of attributes that isn't obtainable in one place. I offered an option of good schools, low taxes, easy access to commuter rail and shopping in the budget. They give up walkability and a downtown.

Where is the OP going to find top tier schools and a walk to commuter/subway for $800K. Maybe Arlington or Brookline but their $800K isn't going to go as far as it does in Rutherford.

But let's not derail this - let's try to help the OP instead.
I actually was trying to help OP. Suggestions are suggestions. Fine to disagree. 12 minutes back and forth adds nearly a half hour per day to a commute. Just saying. Let's not derail it and let OP make those decisions. No need to denigrate someone's honest suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Even a third of a mile walk might be difficult if there is snow on the ground or a biting wind on the few days that it gets really cold (single digits.) Plan on driving in the winter. I drive my wife almost everyday year round (2 miles) - it's about 9 minutes each way. I'm trying to convince her to get a scooter for the better weather which she can lock up at the station on a bike rack.
IMO 1/3 of a mile is barely anything. OP seems to value things in walking distance over driving distance.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 22,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Rutherford NY is close to NYC right? NYC is even more expensive then Boston.

You could try Andover or Reading.

Beverly is probably the best if you want a happening downtown. Downtown Beverly is nice and you're right across the river from Salem. The Newburyport Rockport line is the most frequent on the north shore so the commute on the train would be good. Also you can afford more house in Beverly then in Andover or Reading. Plus the schools are good.
We hadn't looked at Beverly at all. Thanks for the tip about the comm. line.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Arlington $$$, Andover $$, Reading $$, West Concord $$1/2, Beverly $, Melrose $$1/2

My vote is Arlington, Andover or West Concord.

Arlington is not going to provide an updated house at that price point, but it's a beautiful and walkable town that borders Cambridge. Obviously, there's infinite upside to being so close to the action, so homes are in high deman. The high school is built right into downtown, with multiple forms of public transportation and close proximity to Alewife-->North Station. (Walk from the high school to downtown, eat atThe Common Man)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M39198-21875

Andover offers a bit of everything, with south Andover generally being a bit more affluent and rural, and downtown being more 'pure americana'. Downtown Andover is very very nice, with restaraunts, boutiques, coffee shops, parks, public facilities, trainetc. All in all, it's a great value and is within 25 miles of North Station. Check out the Shawsheen area just off of 28- soccer and ball fields, parks, 1920s homes, tree lined streets. (Take a walk downtown, eat at Elm Square Oyster)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M43755-38342
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M34143-77079

Finally, West Concord. As a whole, the town of Concord is uber affluent. That said, WC is a hidden pocket with a nice downtown, neighborhoods, train access, etc. The area is very walkable, and you could go from a school to downtown to the train station in about 5 minutes. Concord proper offers an equally as nice downtown with similar ammenrities, and of the three, is certainly the most upscale. The schools are incredible too. (Take a walk in Concord center, eat at Woods Hill Table)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M45426-86579
This is very helpful, thanks. It makes me see the area in a whole new light. BTW our original budget for a home was around 600K but that changed instantly after we took a weekend trip recently to scope things out. We heard nice things about Somervile and like places with a hipster vibe, but the schools don't seem to be measure up and there were really no homes available even after upping our budget to 800k.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Any thoughts on Sharon?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblumes View Post
Any thoughts on Sharon?
The commuter rail from sharon goes to South station and not North Station, although you could get off at Back Bay and take the line to North Station.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:24 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblumes View Post
Any thoughts on Sharon?
Much more affordable, not far from commuter rail, gvery good schools, a little more diversity. Less trendy, in a way its more "quiet." More auto oriented, family friendly

Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Even a third of a mile walk might be difficult if there is snow on the ground or a biting wind on the few days that it gets really cold (single digits.) Plan on driving in the winter. I drive my wife almost everyday year round (2 miles) - it's about 9 minutes each way. I'm trying to convince her to get a scooter for the better weather which she can lock up at the station on a bike rack.
Since it's the husband that will be commuting, I'll have to share this with him. If it were the other way around, I wouldn't want to give him any ideas.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:25 PM

317 posts, read 331,945 times
I think the problem with saying you need to walk to the commuter rail is that it brings your choices down to about 3% of the housing stock in any town that fits your other criteria of very good schools, 40 min commute, $800k price tag. I know your husband really likes walking to work, but in the grand scheme of things it seems like a highly negotiable detail that is pretty unimportant compared to very good schools, overall commute time and price.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:45 PM

513 posts, read 647,341 times
It's going to be very hard to find a home somewhere that is a third of a mile from the commuter rail, with a walkable downtown. It's not that they don't exist, it's just there is virtually no inventory and when homes come up in that price range, they get snatched up quickly.
Andover, West Concord, and Beverly are all good suggestions. I would also add Hamilton or Wenham near the downtown. The two towns have good schools (they share a school district) and a very useable downtown with a few restaurants, and cafes, grocery store, pharmacy and some boutiques. The library and schools are all near the downtown, as well as parks and the town pool, and most importantly, the commuter rail. The two towns are small (Hamilton has a population of 7K and Wenham 5K), so it is quieter than Beverly or Andover.
You could also try Swampscott. It is a pretty coastal town with good schools and rail access. The downtown has some restaurants and a couple of strip malls and a Whole Foods outside of the downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts