Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Pension funding is supposed to be funded at the state level but it has been pushed to the local school districts in PA, which is making for HUGE problems in most school districts there. In MA, the way pensions are handled is different, so the local school boards don't have to deal with it directly.
The issue is at least being addressed in PA, with a new retirement mechanism for new teachers moving forward. Again, despite ranking lower than PA in a measure of unfunded liabilities, I haven't heard much leadership on this issue in MA:

Connecticut pension system worst in the nation, according to new study | Yankee Institute for Public Policy

Quote:
If you look at any ranking of school districts, MA comes out at the top.
Look, if you want to speak to the aggregate, that's fine. I'll concede that the median school district performs higher in MA than essentially any other state, but again, it's a highly nuanced topic about which statewide generalizations are absurd.

Quote:
You said Doylestown was like Winchester. I addressed that specifically. I have no doubt that the further out you go from any city center, including Boston, the more strip malls and chains there are. But, I have been surprised to see that even in towns further out, there are still cute and vibrant town centers with independent shops and restaurants here in Boston. At a comparable distance from Philadelphia, that is absolutely not the case. It's not that there aren't any in Philadelphia, but I have found a much greater devotion to patronizing independent, local stores here than I ever saw in the Philadelphia area.
I was referring to the "feel" of D-town v. Winchester, from my personal experience. Not their respective distances as suburbs.

And you just discussed how towns like New Hope and Doylestown are "so far" out from the city proper. Other very strong town centers like West Chester and Kennett Square would be at similar distances. Clearly strong main streets are not foreign to the outer-ring of the Philly area.

And any area that has among the highest small business densities in the US certainly has widespread commitment to them.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-12-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts