Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

23 posts, read 69,352 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our two boys (4 and 15 months) will be relocating to Massachusetts in the next few months (July/August). We currently live in downtown Jersey City NJ which we love. We can walk everywhere. It is urban and very "neighborhoody" at the same time. People are very friendly and diverse (a HUGE plus). The streets are not very busy, there are plenty of restuarants, a few shops, easy access to public transportation (bus, light rail, path trains to NYC) etc. We have a car and use it as needed. Knowing that we'll be in more of a suburban environment up in Mass, we will be purchasing another car.

My husbands office will be in Woburn, MA. I am lucky enough to have a work from home position so it can go any where. Our older son is enrolled in public school (Pre-K 3) in a dual language program - half the day is in spanish the other half is in english. Our younger son is in daycare.

I am looking for a town that has a reputation for good/great/excellent schools, has a fun vibe with things for a family with young children to do and isn't just full of homes (i grew up in a town very much like that and found it to be incredibly boring offering nothing).

A few other things, we'd like the commute to be less than 30 minutes. We are open to rentingin a town that we would eventually live in to get a feel for it and make sure it's right for us.

For a rental we'd like: a large 2 bed 2 bath or a 3 bed 2 bath apartment (luxury?) with amenties, gym, pool, parking, washer/dryer in unit, central AC etc woudl be nice as that's what we currently have. $3,500/month or so.

For a home, we'd like: 4 bed, 2.5 bath, central heating/AC, two car garage attached, basement, newly renovated a plus and our upper limit is $850,000

... any insight would be helpful! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
For convenient access to Woburn and a budget up to $850K, try Andover, Bedford, Burlington, Reading, Lynnfield.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM

i was doing a little research on bedford and some people seem to indicate that there is a drug problem in the high school. i know HS kids drink and experiement - i was a HS kid myself - but my school suffered a rampant drug problem due to the fact that we lived in a boring affluent town. Bored kids + access to money = problems IMHO.

any truth to this rumor about bedford?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM

69 posts, read 147,128 times
I do not know if you or your husband have been to the North Shore / Cape Ann / West Loop areas of Massachusetts before, but truth be told, the difference from Jersey City could be shocking for you.

Jersey City is very much an urban, trendy, New York City-Esque environment rich in diversity, culture, and energy. As I am sure you are aware, that is quite a unique environment. You will not find anywhere - and I mean nowhere, within 30 minutes north of Woburn that meets that type of criteria.

Now, that being said, that DOES NOT mean you will not have bountiful options. It simply means that you will all have to accept the fact that the differences will be apparent to you, and will require some level of acclimation and adjustment.

Also, this is another thing to consider - Boston traffic is a nightmare. An absolute, utter, nightmare. I have lived all over (Boston, New York, Chicago, LA, Miami, Fort Lauderdale Tampa, etc etc etc) and nothing compares to Boston. A 30 minute commute during mid day would be easy, however, coming from the north, to Woburn, via 93, 95, Route 1, or Route 128 during rush hour could easily extend his commute to 2-3 times longer than anticipated. Traffic, in this part of the country, is epic. So, that is something to consider.

In terms of being North of Woburn, gf2020 hit the nail on the head with Andover, Lynnfield, and Bedford. They are all very nice towns - however, it must be said, none of those options mirror the diversity, excitement, or energy of Jersey City. So you would have to accept those changes.

Now, as far as trying to find a place with the walkability, diversity, and options similar to (not the same, but similar) Jersey City, you may want to look closer to Boston, in areas such as Medford, Somerville, and Winchester. They could offer things to you more closely in tune with the neighborhood feel you have had previously.

Now, in terms of places worth considering taking into account the school system, you should look at Lexington. Lexington is next to Woburn, on the southwest side, and is a very nice town, with walkability, a little diversity, and a decent (albeit small) downtown area. The high school is one of the top 200 in the country, and is ranked as a "Gold" school by U.S. News. The Newton school system in Newton, Mass - as well as the Winchester and Andover school districts are ranked similarly.

So, while there are plenty of options in the area, given your criteria, I would look into Lexington first, and then Andover, Winchester, and perhaps Lynnfield.

After that, Medford and Somerville would give you a slight taste of that "neighborhood feel" you will be leaving behind in Jersey City. However, I cannot say how you would react to the school systems (still good, but not great) or the location (south of Woburn, closer to Boston).

As "wild cards" I would check out Salem (a small port city to the east with a vibrant downtown area, shops, restaurants, and an energetic community) and perhaps - maybe - the neighboring towns of Marblehead or Beverly.

So to recap - I think that Lexington, Andover, Winchester, and Lynnfield would meet your location, walkability, and school system parameters. I think Medford and Somerville could offer the diversity, and slightly more urban feel that you will be leaving behind. I also think Salem is worth checking out, and maybe even it neighboring towns of Beverly and Marblehead.

That should offer you some decent starting points, and perhaps maybe give you and your husband some food for thought moving forward. Good Luck to you and your family during this relocation process.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 PM

i know how unique JC is... so sad to have to leave this AMAZING little city!!! thank you all for the advice and tips. I'm starting to research all of those towns now!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Lexington is one of the best suburbs for community feel, vibrancy, despite being affluent. It is one of the few suburbs where you will see residents walking around and safely enjoying the downtown at 9 or 10 at night. If Lexington is not urban enough, I would next check out Arlington, West Medford, Melrose, Wakefield and Stoneham, in that order. The little downtown of Woburn, underrated by many, is nice to have next door, with many family run bakeries and little casual eating places.

Bedford is more of a Concord alternative than Lexington alternative. The rail bicycle trail begins there and there are some pretty homes near the Concord end, and there are some new luxury townhomes, shopping and a Whole Foods. Many parts are swampy, heavily wooded without sidewalks. People from the adjacent towns and air force base use heavily trafficked route 225 as a thoroughfare. There are several dumpy motels on that street, with a shifty or sad character or two. Although more newcomers are discovering it, it still has a townie element that is not as friendly to newcomers as some of the surrounding towns. Like many New England towns, the sidewalks roll up early.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM

thanks again! just looks like it'll be hard to find the kind of house we want within the price point we need to stay within in the town of Lexington - $850,000 doesn't get you much

bedford seems to have nice homes and a decent school district.

lynnfield as well... we are just going to have to take a long weekend and visit all of these towns to really get a feel for things.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbaum13 View Post
thanks again! just looks like it'll be hard to find the kind of house we want within the price point we need to stay within in the town of Lexington - $850,000 doesn't get you much

bedford seems to have nice homes and a decent school district.

lynnfield as well... we are just going to have to take a long weekend and visit all of these towns to really get a feel for things.

My last suggestion to you is this;

Prepare for "New England". What I mean by that is, in comparison to what you are accustom to in JC, be ready for older homes, that seem over priced, with more questions than answers.

Let me qualify that statement;

This is a beautiful part of the country. It has great school systems, proud communities, and a lot of recreational activity. With that in mind though - it takes pride in it's history, and many homeowners spend a lot of money to keep up that pride. Sure, in Boston, Cambridge, and some surrounding urban areas you will find things like updated kitchens, granite, marble, and other luxury amenities. But in the outer areas - the suburbs and rural towns - you will find what many people define as "New England Charm", although to many urban city dwellers such as yourself coming from JC, it may seem a bit understated. You may find yourself asking "why does this cost so much" or "who would pay this much money to live here"?

Many of the homes will have things like septic tanks as opposed to city sewer lines. They will have older copper pipes, as opposed to new streamlined plastics engineered tubes. You'll find old wood floors that have been refurbished for 200 years. You'll find "New England Kitchens" with 150 year old stoves, and "old puritan charms". It will feel different. It might even strike you as odd.

You will find many of the towns to seem "sleepy" compared to JC, but they must be compared in their context, surroundings, and environment. At first, it will seem odd. You might not be "overly excited" at the onset.

Don't get me wrong - there are of course new homes, with newer amenities, in some planned communities. But you would have to find the right town, the right subdivision, the right builder, in the right commuting distance from your husbands work.

I am only saying these things so that you have an idea of what to expect when you come explore the area. In JC you have the tunnel right into NYC, Brooklyn, etc etc etc......North Jersey......Weehawken.....the north Jersey suburbs. It's just different.

I have moved around a lot, and what I have learned is that you cannot go into one place with expectations predicated on where you are coming from. Your expectations have to be in context.

If you want to stretch your dollars, because 850K is a very respectable budget anywhere in the country, you may want to consider smaller towns, or going a little bit further out and seeing how your husband feels about a longer commute. Also, maybe a 2500 square foot New England home isn't for you - perhaps you guys may want to examine a brownstone like home or a luxury townhome in a more "familiar" type community. Again - just a suggestion.

I am sure you and your family will find a place here to call home - but coming from a place like JC, with the diversity, energy, walkability, excitement, school options, and urban synergy around every corner you may need to adjust your expectations accordingly - not because it will be better or worse here, but just different. Every place is simply different.

I really wish you and your family the best of luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Also (despite the realization that you wanted originally to avoid this very element) there is one town where your budget could do a lot, has very good schools, is 30 minutes away from Woburn (although longer in traffic during rush hour), and while it isn't "diverse", it is not "bland" either. There is some diversity.

Westford, Massachusetts

It is likely too "small town" for you. It isn't exactly a "walkable" town. It is in close proximity to Lowell, Massachusetts (which has diversity, culture, and a downtown area), although there are some areas there that are "less desirable". It is a short drive to New Hampshire, and is about the same distance to Boston as it is from North Shore coastal towns of Newburyport, Salem, Manchester, Rockport, and Ipswich. It is a little bit "out there" but it is also safe, offers good schools, and your budget could get you a new, updated, luxury home there.

It would not be "ideal", but it could potentially be a compromise for the luxury you desire, a reasonable commute time, proximity to various areas of interest, good schools, and a bit of diversity. A stretch perhaps - but maybe worth checking out online. Even if you just checked the real estate listings and evaluated if the homes there meet your expectations.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
Also (despite the realization that you wanted originally to avoid this very element) there is one town where your budget could do a lot, has very good schools, is 30 minutes away from Woburn (although longer in traffic during rush hour), and while it isn't "diverse", it is not "bland" either. There is some diversity.

Westford, Massachusetts

It is likely too "small town" for you. It isn't exactly a "walkable" town. It is in close proximity to Lowell, Massachusetts (which has diversity, culture, and a downtown area), although there are some areas there that are "less desirable". It is a short drive to New Hampshire, and is about the same distance to Boston as it is from North Shore coastal towns of Newburyport, Salem, Manchester, Rockport, and Ipswich. It is a little bit "out there" but it is also safe, offers good schools, and your budget could get you a new, updated, luxury home there.

It would not be "ideal", but it could potentially be a compromise for the luxury you desire, a reasonable commute time, proximity to various areas of interest, good schools, and a bit of diversity. A stretch perhaps - but maybe worth checking out online. Even if you just checked the real estate listings and evaluated if the homes there meet your expectations.
I will add that although Westford has more big box than cute indie walkable downtown type businesses, the actual town center is very walkable with historic homes, churches, farmers' markets in the summer, festivals and many fun activities around the Rodenbush community center. Westford has a faster pace than many of the other outlying towns, which could be a plus for you.

If you decide to visit, be sure to stop at The Butterfly Place, a huge indoor garden of hundreds of kinds of butterflies and Kimball Farm for ice cream and mini golf.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 06-04-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts