Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

I realize you said you don't want to live in RI, but I think you should consider Bristol. Renting or buying.

Maybe something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...37_rect/11_zm/?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexshim View Post
Where would be a good place to live that is close, good neighborhood, that had newer houses and perhaps has a decent resale value that if I decide to leave in 3 years it won’t be difficult ( i know, not too easy to predict)...
I would definitely rent and not buy if I thought I had to sell in 3 years. If the market stays flat, the transaction costs will eat up any perceived savings. Worst case, market tanks and you are selling at a loss + transaction costs.

If you could buy and ride out a storm and not have to sell after 3 years that is a different scenario.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM

187 posts, read 217,368 times
I agree that I would rent if the goal was to sell in 3 years. It wouldn't be worth it for 3 years, having to pay realtor fees/closing costs.

We have friends in Millville and they really love the location, not too close to a highway but they seem to love the land/house they got for a good deal. They have 2 kids but they are not school age yet so I am not sure about the schools.

Franklin is also a good choice. Houses cost more but the schools are good.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 5,904 times
Thanks for all of the responses. Yeh Franklin seems very good. Like I said 3 years is min, I am sure I can stay longer. I saw some new condos in Franklin that look great but maybe a tad on the more expensive part.

I am still looking in some places in RI but it does not compare it seems.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexshim View Post
I saw some new condos in Franklin that look great but maybe a tad on the more expensive part.
Would that be the Montage at Brookview?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Would that be the Montage at Brookview?
Yes that’s the one. Really liked it and I think Franklin is a nice town. But still trying to figure out if it’s worth it or not.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 PM

636 posts, read 706,097 times
Mansfield Ma

Although the town is metamorphosing into a sub'URBAN' community, the 'angry horn" culture has not arrived.
28 minutes into downtown Providence.
Easy access in the opposite direction, Boston Ma.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mans...1525306066!3e3

Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM

The info is great. The decision is hard.
I am worried that it maybe true that we hit a plateau and prices will not go up a lot more, although if there is a limit in supply it may not be true. Its hard to tell. (I am originally from Toronto and people were saying that the market is doomed in 2010 but it clearly lasts 7 years since that point...)

I want to stay in the North East so Mass makes a lot of sense in that way. Problem with renting is moving all the time and not getting what you want out of your house/apartment.

For example a good house or apartment in a nice area is 2.5-3k/month, so that is close to what I will pay in my mortgage payments.

I will continue thinking. That place, the Montage at Brookview was very nice, but I am worried they are overcharging . Hard to say if there is any more to go up in terms of the price for those condos.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM

45 posts, read 28,515 times
I have family in Franklin and they love it. Great place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts