Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
What are you referencing? In general, Catholics have abandoned Church-taught moral principles in the voting booth and you can find them all over the spectrum, in many cases voting for abortion and things like that (I'm not making a judgement on the issue here, I'm just stating that the idea of a Catholic voting for a pro-abortion candidate or measure is indeed a modern phenomenon and would have been unthinkable two generations ago).

There is a "Cultural Catholicism" trend out there among people who call themselves Catholic, but don't take it very seriously. IMO it's basically an ethnic thing. So maybe people with similar Irish/Italian/Polish last names vote for each other or at least have great sympathy for others from a similar background. I don't think Catholics are any longer quite the consistent block of voters they used to be. Consider that Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi call themselves "Catholic", as did Antonin Scalia and does Rick Santorum.
In Massachusetts it still exists. Look at our Congresional delegation all Catholic Democrats. Except Warren who is not from here. And every single Speaker of the House in Memory has been a Catholic Democrat

Scott Brown, Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, Bruce Tarr, Jane Swift basically the only notable Republican in the last 20 years all Some form of Protestant.

Last edited by btownboss4; 06-07-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In Massachusetts it still exists. Look at our Congresional delegation all Catholic Democrats. Except Warren who is not from here. And every single Speaker of the Housevin Menory has been a Catholic Democrat

Scott Brown, Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, Bruce Tarr, Jane Swift basically the only notable Republucan in the last 20 years all Some form of Protestant.
But also most everyone in Massachusetts is a Democrat so I'm not sure if this is very meaningful.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
But also most everyone in Massachusetts is a Democrat so I'm not sure if this is very meaningful.
Yes but none of the Democrats are Protestant which do exist in Massachusetts, but since Catholics+Black Protestants are such a power White Protestants who are the base of the Republucan Party almost never win.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Quote:
In Massachusetts it still exists. Look at our Congresional delegation all Catholic Democrats. Except Warren who is not from here. And every single Speaker of the Housevin Menory has been a Catholic Democrat

Scott Brown, Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney, Bruce Tarr, Jane Swift basically the only notable Republucan in the last 20 years all Some form of Protestant.
It seems the republicans lean more protestant, but you are clearly cherry picking. For one, Jane Swift is Catholic. So was Paul Cellucci was way more influential than Swift ever was. Karyn Polito is about as Italian-Catholic as you can get. Richard Tisei is Catholic, and I'm pretty sure Bob Hedlund is too. Not sure about Geoff Diehl.

There's not many left after that, but there's at least a significant minority of MA republicans who are catholic.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
I wish. There are still about 40% Republicans.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
It seems the republicans lean more protestant, but you are clearly cherry picking. For one, Jane Swift is Catholic. So was Paul Cellucci was way more influential than Swift ever was. Karyn Polito is about as Italian-Catholic as you can get. Richard Tisei is Catholic, and I'm pretty sure Bob Hedlund is too. Not sure about Geoff Diehl.

There's not many left after that, but there's at least a significant minority of MA republicans who are catholic.
According to Wikipedia Swifts Dads side is descendent from the Mayflower Pilgrams. So she doesn't come from the same cultural background as most Catholics.

And yeah I wasn't going to list literally every elected Republican in the state Governors, Senators, Minority leaders etc. Tisei is just some dude, I'm sure you can fine a Protestant Democrat somewhere in the General Court.

But still Ethnic Catholics are the bedrock of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. Which is why Massachusetts and Northern NewEngkand are the only places Democrats actually win the White Vote.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia Swifts Dads side is descendent from the Mayflower Pilgrams. So she doesn't come from the same cultural background as most Catholics.

And yeah I wasn't going to list literally every elected Republican in the state Governors, Senators, Minority leaders etc. Tisei is just some dude, I'm sure you can fine a Protestant Democrat somewhere in the General Court.

But still Ethnic Catholics are the bedrock of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. Which is why Massachusetts and Northern NewEngkand are the only places Democrats actually win the White Vote.
Yeah, so is my dad's side and I'm about as culturally Catholic as they come. You're reaching here. The old Yankees are so intermixed with the Irish and Italians at this point that having a Mayflower ancestor is meaningless culturally speaking.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Essex County is still very upper class Yankee / Episcopal. Marblehead has 2! Episcopal Churches.

In further west Middlesex County in Dunstable, Groton, Townsend, Ashby, you see more Congregational Yankee/Farming types. Bean suppers, band concerts, etc.

Don't know enough about the Swamp Yankees of the South Shore but I am sure a lot have inter married with Portuguese/Irish/Italian Catholics.

http://archive.boston.com/news/local...10_mass_roots/

Sort for English and the Yankee towns will pop up.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
Are there areas where Yankee Culture is dominant in New England as opposed to people of more recent Catholic/immigrant Irish/Italian/French Canadian origin. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Well that’s not fair.

My great-grandparents immigrated from Ireland in the early 1900s, and assimilated pretty quickly. My grandparents were just as much traditional yankees as the wasp descendents of people who moved to the area before the civil war.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
My Parents are part of that later migration. My biggest fear is the my childrens generation will turn into "Yankee Culture"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts