Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,060 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I would like to relocate to New England in the next year or so. We've lived outside of Denver, CO for four years, but I'm originally from the far west Chicago suburbs. As a child, he jumped around (OH, CA) but spent middle school and onward in Scottsdale, AZ. We both attended Arizona State, which is where we met.

We are focused on New England because I love seasons. I've never really felt at home in Colorado. I actually like the snow and am not afraid of winter. Hubby needs to have access to mountains for biking/hiking/annual backpacking trips. I also love the water - so having the ocean/lakes within driving distance will be wonderful.

We do need jobs. I'm a data/customer marketer with an MBA. He's a mechanical engineer (lead). So, we will need options w/in a 30-40 minute commute. We will not, ever, take jobs in the "city" (Boston, NY). We are suburb/countryside people. While our careers are solid, we're aware of the jump in property taxes and will only be looking to spend $350-$550k.

Our dream is to have a mini-farm. 5 acres or so. I've boarded horses all my life but would love to have property where I could keep one or two. Just sold my last one, so the move will not be complicated by an equine this time. Hubby would love a mini donkey, a couple goats, chickens... and we love dogs and cats. Hubby has also enjoyed gardening fruits/veggies the last few years (not so easy in CO, actually). He'd love to have an acre or so to do strawberries, maybe some apple trees.

We recently spent some time driving up the East Coast. We were sure we could find a "suburb" of Boston that would allow us to get closer to our dream. We're okay finding a subdivision of .5+ acres homes that's on the edge of the "mini-farm" areas, and eventually being able to graduate to the perfect property.

However, we were sorely mistaken. We focused on Metro West, and it was nothing like we'd pictured, so that was crossed off the list. I must be spoiled - I'm used to the suburbs spreading out from a city center into the countryside. I love small towns that have cute/local shopping districts - where are they? We've heard so much about the "charm" of New England towns, and we didn't see it.

We did drive up to Hollis, NH, and liked it. That's "countryside" to me. However, we also love charming towns with cute shops, municipal parks, and community programs. Any thoughts? Are we crazy?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Find a job and then get back to us as to recommended areas within your commuting range. They exist in most areas (other than near Boston), but it's impossible to know where to lead you without that.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Good point - but we won't move without being sure we'd even like living there. We did that when we moved to CO, and I've not been happy.

We had originally considered Framingham as the center of our job search, but had we accepted jobs and had a month to decide where we were going to live, that would have been a huge mistake. We would never move on one person's salary, either.

I'm also aware I'm spoiled by the Denver area job market! So my assumption that we'd be easily employable at a number of places is probably skewed.

I guess I'm more concerned with, is there an area of New England where we could eventually live in the countryside and have job options?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:57 AM

So, for some examples, which may help clarify:

AZ: Live in Gilbert, commute to Tempe. Live in Cave Creek, commute to Scottsdale.
CO: Live in Parker, commute to the Tech Center. Live in Sedalia, commute to Littleton.
IL: Live in Barrington, commute to Schaumburg (my favorite example). Live in Batavia, commute to Naperville.
MA: Live in Marlborough, commute to Framingham.

The Massachusetts example was way off. Marlborough was not our idea of where we wanted to live. So, I'm trying to get the feasibility of some areas that would offer the small town/countryside feel I'm looking for, where could have some sort of nearby job market that's outside the "city." Perhaps we have to go into NH or coastal?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Maybe a town like Exeter NH or Portsmouth NH or somewhere around there. They are still real towns with stores instead of sprawl and crowding. They are on or near the seacoast too. Stratham, NH is another one. Watch out for high property taxes in NH though.

In MA try the north shore. There are still towns like Amesbury with a downtown and open space near the ocean. Newbury, MA and towns around that area. People have maple sugar farms and other types of mini farms. There's commuter rail to small cities that will have jobs.

Not western MA even though it fits your description because it's so hard to find a job.

You could try CT. There are a lot of rural areas. Maybe around Middletown, CT--there is country around there and Middletown is cute with shops and restaurants. Not far from the ocean either. There might or might not be jobs in Middletown but there are jobs around New Haven. Not too sure how much of a commute that would be. CT is much cheaper than MA but there are higher property taxes.

NH is famous for mountain hiking. MA--you can get to NH easily. CT--either drive all the way to NH or hike out in the countryside or maybe even the Appalachian Trail.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect000 View Post
So, for some examples, which may help clarify:

AZ: Live in Gilbert, commute to Tempe. Live in Cave Creek, commute to Scottsdale.
CO: Live in Parker, commute to the Tech Center. Live in Sedalia, commute to Littleton.
IL: Live in Barrington, commute to Schaumburg (my favorite example). Live in Batavia, commute to Naperville.
MA: Live in Marlborough, commute to Framingham.

The Massachusetts example was way off. Marlborough was not our idea of where we wanted to live. So, I'm trying to get the feasibility of some areas that would offer the small town/countryside feel I'm looking for, where could have some sort of nearby job market that's outside the "city." Perhaps we have to go into NH or coastal?

Did you check out any of the smaller towns around Marlborough ie. Berlin, Northborough? Things have a slightly different "feel" once you get west of 495.

S NH might work good for you, so might Central MA, southern ME, parts of SE Mass. and RI.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
You don’t say what you saw that seemed so different from what you expected to see. Was it too built up? Did it seem like it never got to the more country-like areas? Seems to me that Metro west has lots of houses on pretty big lots along formerly country roads with lots of woodland and some farmland in the vicinity. I don’t know why Framingham wouldn’t be a good focus to find that kind of environment within 20 miles.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - we'll be sure to investigate some the NH towns named above. Hubby has a friend who went to Wesleyan; we hadn't even considered CT, really, but will explore.

To be honest, neither of us had spent much time anywhere on the East Coast. I think we were a little startled at how, I don't know, claustrophobic we felt. Obviously, the entire coast is much more forested than anywhere we've spent time (even PNW, where the in-laws live). We're used to have a fair line of sight, and it was a little disconcerting to not know if you were turning into a subdivision with million-dollar homes, or coming across someone's shack in the woods!

We stayed in Southborough, actually. There were a couple of homes there we liked but were well out of price range. Same with Sudbury - pockets of cute, but those were outrageously expensive. I suppose I'm used to the whole 'town' having an identify, not just a couple of blocks that are nice and then you turn onto a street that looks like it needs a lot of help.

I'm spoiled, I know. Not trying to be a negative Nancy since I'm sure these places are special to some of you!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - we'll be sure to investigate some the NH towns named above. Hubby has a friend who went to Wesleyan; we hadn't even considered CT, really, but will explore.

To be honest, neither of us had spent much time anywhere on the East Coast. I think we were a little startled at how, I don't know, claustrophobic we felt. Obviously, the entire coast is much more forested than anywhere we've spent time (even PNW, where the in-laws live). We're used to have a fair line of sight, and it was a little disconcerting to not know if you were turning into a subdivision with million-dollar homes, or coming across someone's shack in the woods!

We stayed in Southborough, actually. There were a couple of homes there we liked but were well out of price range. Same with Sudbury - pockets of cute, but those were outrageously expensive. I suppose I'm used to the whole 'town' having an identify, not just a couple of blocks that are nice and then you turn onto a street that looks like it needs a lot of help.

I'm spoiled, I know. Not trying to be a negative Nancy since I'm sure these places are special to some of you!

Maybe New England isn't for you then.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Maybe New England isn't for you then.
Okay, fair enough! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts