Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:26 AM

74 posts, read 70,911 times

Advertisements

Would you say south and south west has less of an attitude and zip code pride?. Perhaps people are a tad more courteous? Any hip towns you could recommend where maybe tree huggers live and where gyms and grocery don’t shut down at 9?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
I could recommend to you some more down-to-earth tree hugging alternatives but not sure how it will meet your commuting criteria. Generally, the south shore towns are not high on the crunchy factor, although you could look at Milton.

Regarding towns with a vibrant street after 9 or 10pm, this is nearly non-existent even in parts of downtown Boston. Actually many burbs shut down after 6pm and 10pm closing time is rather vibrant for this area. If that is high priority you'll have to settle for a smaller place in Cambridge or Somerville, the only places you'll find anything close to that.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I could recommend to you some more down-to-earth tree hugging alternatives but not sure how it will meet your commuting criteria. Generally, the south shore towns are not high on the crunchy factor, although you could look at Milton.

Regarding towns with a vibrant street after 9 or 10pm, this is nearly non-existent even in parts of downtown Boston. Actually many burbs shut down after 6pm and 10pm closing time is rather vibrant for this area. If that is high priority you'll have to settle for a smaller place in Cambridge or Somerville, the only places you'll find anything close to that.
Partial truth.

Arlington, Salem, Medford, Quincy are exceptions that come to mind. Either way, it’s the same in Seattle, so that shouldn’t come as any type of surprise.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:22 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
Would you say south and south west has less of an attitude and zip code pride?. Perhaps people are a tad more courteous? Any hip towns you could recommend where maybe tree huggers live and where gyms and grocery don’t shut down at 9?
The LifeTime athletic in Westwood is 24 hrs and the Wegmans is open until midnight. It's not a hip town. I think the attitude and zip code pride (post code envy?) is something I associate with somewhere being hip and filled with suburban tree huggers.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:37 PM

74 posts, read 70,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Partial truth.

Arlington, Salem, Medford, Quincy are exceptions that come to mind. Either way, it’s the same in Seattle, so that shouldn’t come as any type of surprise.
I am not from Seattle, I am just a fan. In our village, we had 2 Wegmans 24/7 within 15 min, tons of grocery and gyms 24/7. I will get used to the pace here and infrastructure with more planning . No biggie.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
I am not from Seattle, I am just a fan. In our village, we had 2 Wegmans 24/7 within 15 min, tons of grocery and gyms 24/7. I will get used to the pace here and infrastructure with more planning . No biggie.
Staying in close proximity to Burlington MA might be a good choice then. Can’t think of any town near Burlington that is hip outside of Arlington. The immediate towns north and west of Burlington are known for good schools, shopping access, and proximity to the tech jobs along 95.

I’d highly highly reccomend trying to find a place in Arlington and Medford. Plenty of action. The close access to Somerville and Cambridge will be key too. Best area of MA for your demographic.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-04-2018 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Staying in close proximity to Burlington MA might be a good choice then. Can’t think of any town near Burlington that is hip outside of Arlington. The immediate towns north and west of Burlington are known for good schools, shopping access, and proximity to the tech jobs along 95.

I’d highly highly reccomend trying to find a place in Arlington and Medford. Plenty of action. The close access to Somerville and Cambridge will be key too. Best area of MA for your demographic.
The OP isn't commuting to Burlington, they are commuting to South Station.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:16 AM

OP if you like the small town picturesque vibe of places like Marblehead, you might consider looking in towns south of the pike such as Medfield and Holliston.

Holliston is a good mix of small town local and earthy crunchy, laid-back with some good walking trails for bicycling and dog walking, cute town center, strong community of local farming and growers, several yoga studios, some small local town beaches. The closest commuter rail stop would be Wellesley Center or Wellesley Hills, a 20 min to 30 min drive from Holliston center and then a 30 minute train ride.

Medfield is similar to Holliston only closer to Boston and a bit more upscale.

Of course, unlike Marblehead and Salem, you would not have ocean views.

I would keep Dedham on your radar also. It has a cute town center, with its own movie theater and local businesses, that seems to be improving all the time, easy access to downtown Boston and some arty spill-over from nearby Jamaica Plain, good historic preservation of architecture in many neighborhoods. Not sure how organic and green Dedham is, but you would have good outdoor recreation with Blue Hills Reservation, Noanet Woodlands, Cutter Park and many other parks only a 15 minute drive away.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:

I would keep Dedham on your radar also. It has a cute town center, with its own movie theater and local businesses, that seems to be improving all the time, easy access to downtown Boston and some arty spill-over from nearby Jamaica Plain, good historic preservation of architecture in many neighborhoods. Not sure how organic and green Dedham is, but you would have good outdoor recreation with Blue Hills Reservation, Noanet Woodlands, Cutter Park and many other parks only a 15 minute drive away.
The Northeastern reservation up near the 128 exit is also a great place to spend the day.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The OP isn't commuting to Burlington, they are commuting to South Station.
Right, but the OP likes the commercial activity as outlined in his prior post. Burlington has probably the largest commercial selection outside of Boston (including a Wegmans), gyms, shopping centers, and a real restaurant scene. It's not quaint, but it's most certainly functional for all surrounding towns.

Another reason that I continue to come back to Arlington. 15 minutes up Lowell St to everything in Burlington. 10 minutes into Cambridge/Somerville. Buses, access to Alewife, bike paths, nice downtown, a good mix of neighborhoods and housing stock, significant upside from an investment perspective.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-05-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts