Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 PM

652 posts, read 750,174 times

Advertisements

Watertown.

The express bus is convenenient and the electric trolley busses there to Harvard are frequent. And you can be to Boston, Cambridge, Somerville in about 25 minutes drive with no traffic.

Still pretty middle class, you should be able to get in for 700. Schools are fine.

You may see an influx of youthful energy from all the apartments going up on the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
^great reccomendation. +1.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 PM

317 posts, read 331,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Watertown.

The express bus is convenenient and the electric trolley busses there to Harvard are frequent. And you can be to Boston, Cambridge, Somerville in about 25 minutes drive with no traffic.

Still pretty middle class, you should be able to get in for 700. Schools are fine.

You may see an influx of youthful energy from all the apartments going up on the south side.
Good call. Awesome place for young professionals. I lived there until my kids started school. And they’re rebuilding the whole arsenal mall into some kind of giant mixed use space with a movie theatre, apts, shopping, offices that looks like it’s gonna be really nice. As far as schools go, fine is a relative term, but for $700k I want better than average to below average. I don’t think the op has kids though.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post

Goes to show how disconnected this forum is.

Watertown is OK if you don't mind commuting by bus in traffic.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Goes to show how disconnected this forum is.

Watertown is OK if you don't mind commuting by bus in traffic.
Lol yes 700k is a middle class home now. This is sad.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lol yes 700k is a middle class home now. This is sad.
$700k doesn't even get you that much in Watertown.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM

31 posts, read 28,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
Does Quincy have questionable parts to it? Any areas to avoid?

Anything within walking distance of the four T stops in Quincy would be right up your ally. Examples: Wollaston, Hospital Hill, and Penn's Hill* for SFHs. Plenty of new condos closer to Quincy Center and North Quincy if that's more your speed. All perfectly safe areas.

(* pedestrian gate to the east of Quincy Adams station will be opening soon, making this neighborhood a whole lot more T accessible)

Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 PM

74 posts, read 70,911 times
Thank you all. I looked into Watertown and I did not see anything in our budget at all. Added Quincy to our list. Also Milton, Norwood and Deadham. I think we did not realize how dense many of these Western areas are. Our definition of dense was definitely not dense enough. I think someplace with more breathing room would be a better fit.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:01 PM

30 posts, read 59,107 times
We moved to Natick Center a year ago from California. My husband commuted downtown via the train until his job took him to Burlington. The train was a piece of cake (a half hour commute to South Station if you're willing to make the 6 AM one). Super easy. Natick Center has a range of housing options and price points, and Natick has a nice town center, great schools, and it's fairly easy to find nearby shopping and hop on the Mass Pike. We like it a lot and it's a steal compared to California!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraigie View Post
Anything within walking distance of the four T stops in Quincy would be right up your ally. Examples: Wollaston, Hospital Hill, and Penn's Hill* for SFHs. Plenty of new condos closer to Quincy Center and North Quincy if that's more your speed. All perfectly safe areas.

I would hesitate in suggesting Quincy Center, there are still sketchy areas around there. Hospital Hill would be fine. Wollaston, N Quincy good. West Quincy is a little dicey, same with the Point (although it has much improved).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts