Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
You've already have a prejudiced opinion, so it's unlikely that things will get better from your point of view. You sound like you really don't want to do it, so trust your gut. If you happen to move on from this job, do you really want to get stuck in an area you didn't want to be to begin with?

The housing market is very competitive in this area, so you're going to have to fight for a house you like. I had a relative that lived in Woburn and relocated to another part of the country. Listed their house at market value and ended up selling in 2 weeks, 3 people bidding against each other and got 40k over listed price.
Which is kind of wild when we consider Woburn’s percieved reputation/desirability dating back only a few years ago. It was always considered largely blue collar, even gritty in certain areas, much like neighboring Billerica and Tewksbury. But, Woburn in particular has been the beneficiary of a booming Burlington/95 job creation. Spill over created one of the hottest markets in Mass in the case of Woburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 AM

176 posts, read 250,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Move or find a different job. What is your budget? Without that any advise could be a waste of time.

My parents live in the outskirts of Philly and Massachusetts is more expensive but it’s also generally nicer.
Well, I really like the job so that is why we are considering relocation.
Budget for rental is ideally less than $3k, for buying $600k so we would be open to townhomes. Something that can be rented in future.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I live there. Schools are good and getting better as more million dollar homes are built in town and million dollar home buyers have high expectations. Taxes are reasonable to due the commercial tax base.

To the OP, $650-700 is the sweet spot for an updated home on a quit street. $400-450 is what a tear down goes for, and anything new is in the 7 figure area even on more heavily traveled streets.
Thanks, We will look at Burlington then.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If you don't really want to move, don't move.
Great advice...can be applied to pretty much everything: If you don't want to do it, don't do it..

However, in my case I expect career growth through this move so that is why such a heavy consideration.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunguy13 View Post
Great advice...can be applied to pretty much everything: If you don't want to do it, don't do it..

However, in my case I expect career growth through this move so that is why such a heavy consideration.
Thanks
Did you or did you not say you don't really want to move?

This is a stupid thread imo. Make your own decision. We don't care.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:

Welcome to Boston!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
We moved from Philly to Boston a couple years back. We like it much better, although part of the problem was that we were so far from Philadelphia that going down there was a freakin nightmare. We are very close to the city (i.e. Boston) now, and we LOVE it.

Part of the reason for the move was my husband's industry -- a lot of it was moving out of Philadelphia and to Boston. So, for his career, it was much better to be up here. We weren't that jazzed about moving but the idea of a PHL-BOS commute, especially with school age kids was extremely unpalatable.

The biggest issue is that housing is much more expensive up here. Where to look depends on your budget, the type of town you're looking for, and what sort of housing you're willing to accept (i.e. would you accept a condo? A townhouse/duplex? An old house that needs work? A house smaller than what you have now?) I loved my house in the Philly area, although I hated the location. My current house was MUCH MUCH more expensive, 75 years older, with a one car garage instead of a large 2 car garage, and a significantly smaller kitchen and bedroom. But I am much happier in it.

Also, schools in MA are better than they are in PA, where the legislature has had a war on education for quite some time.
We live in Media, PA and it's a beautiful little town and affordable when compared to Boston suburbs of the same quality..Yes, we will be open to a townhome..

And the reason why we are looking to move is exactly like yours - for career advancement.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
You've already have a prejudiced opinion, so it's unlikely that things will get better from your point of view. You sound like you really don't want to do it, so trust your gut. If you happen to move on from this job, do you really want to get stuck in an area you didn't want to be to begin with?

The housing market is very competitive in this area, so you're going to have to fight for a house you like. I had a relative that lived in Woburn and relocated to another part of the country. Listed their house at market value and ended up selling in 2 weeks, 3 people bidding against each other and got 40k over listed price.
Valuable advice. Thank you

Old 09-17-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Well thank you for writing a reply to a thread you don't care about

To clarify - we are going to move..Came to this forum for Bostonian perspective on where to look.
Thank you

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
If you're working in Woburn then anywhere up 93 is worth considering. With a budget to $600K and young children you should be able to find something to meet your needs in Wilmington, Tewksbury or Andover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts