Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best day trip to take outside of Boston? (Early November)
Salem 11 40.74%
Gloucester 1 3.70%
Newburyport 3 11.11%
Rockport 4 14.81%
Foxborough 1 3.70%
Marblehead 0 0%
Other (Please Comment Below) 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM

154 posts, read 161,022 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!

I grew up near Canton, MA and since I moved away from MA again recently, I have been back and forth (Its confusing)... however, My friend and I are visiting Boston on November 3rd - 5th this year. LITERALLY all three days.. our flight gets in at 6am on November 3rd, and our flight leaves at 11:59pm on November 5th back to SYR. So we literally have three full days.

I want to spend two full days in Boston, leaving me with one day to explore somewhere around the Boston region. My friend who has never been to Greater Boston is coming with me, and I want to pick the best place in the region accessible by the T (Commuter Rail or Light/Heavy Rail).

Where do you recommend would be the nicest place to visit for the day via commuter rail? I was thinking the few I mention below... but please definitely help a brother out Im chiefly stuck between either Rockport, Sale and Gloucester. But if you have any others to add please let me know!!

Salem: I have actually never been to Salem. I was thinking its close, there's a LOT to do there, it is really pretty and it will somewhat sort of be festive when we go in early November (I think?).

Rockport: The beauty of this little port town would be interesting for both of us. Its so cool to visit, great views and everything.

Gloucester: Everyone loves Gloucester, but would it be worth it when its this cold and not beachy season?

Foxborough: The Patriots are playing that Sunday, and the area would be neat to see.

Newburyport: Also never been here; heard its nice. But too cold?

*Keep in mind it is November; and we already eliminated Plymouth.. too many bad field trips for me*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
The time of the year is the part of this I get stuck on. It's in between fall and the Christmas lights/charm of December.

I would say Salem due to accessibility and things to do/places to eat/buzziness year around.

Newburyport would be my number two, and likely would be number one in the summer or around Christmas. Plum Island is the best beach you'll find north of the city, and downtown Newburyport is wonderful. It get's quiet in the offseason, and much of what we love about it- beaches, outdoor patios, river front- won't be of use.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The time of the year is the part of this I get stuck on. It's in between fall and the Christmas lights/charm of December.

I would say Salem due to accessibility and things to do/places to eat/buzziness year around.

Newburyport would be my number two, and likely would be number one in the summer or around Christmas. Plum Island is the best beach you'll find north of the city, and downtown Newburyport is wonderful. It get's quiet in the offseason, and much of what we love about it- beaches, outdoor patios, river front- won't be of use.
You can't get to Plum Island by Commuter Rail.

I would go with Salem as far as having the most to do within walking distance of the train, although if I had a vehicle and wanted to explore I would say Gloucester/Rockport for the scenery.

And of course if you can get tickets to the game, that would be a great option. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother. Not that late in the year anyway.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Well, Plymouth doesn’t have an easy connection to the commuter rail station so that’s another reason to leave it off your list. Salem has a lot to offer. They may be weary in Salem after the Halloween onslaught but it’s still a good choice. i would consider a side trip to Marblehead too as the old town there on the harbor is quaint and scenic. I’d say Concord would be just as good a destination in November as Newburyport— much smaller town to walk but the scenic landscapes there are historic and beautiful, National Park Service has tours and info for visitors, and the trees won’t be all bare yet. Foxborough is devoid of scenery and charm but it has the Patriots so that’s a different kind of trip. Another contender is Providence, a lively city with lots to do that’s an easy trip on the commuter rail from Boston.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You can't get to Plum Island by Commuter Rail.

I would go with Salem as far as having the most to do within walking distance of the train, although if I had a vehicle and wanted to explore I would say Gloucester/Rockport for the scenery.

And of course if you can get tickets to the game, that would be a great option. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother. Not that late in the year anyway.
You take the commuter into Newburyport. You can very easily take the 5 minute Uber to Plum Island.

I have faith that the OP can manage that.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
rent a car?

Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
If you can get tickets, then you could take the Patriot's train from South Station. Otherwise, I'd say Newburyport.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:00 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Salem, although Bearskin Neck in Rockport is a good trip as well. Salem will just give you more of a full day of things to do. There are also various historic tours in Salem, and with Xmas coming up, they do a few holiday things as well. One of my favorites is the Night before Christmas Trolley Tour. But they do a lot of other trolley and walking tours as well.

Gloucester is OK, but i'd go in the summer, not November.

I wouldn't bother with Foxboro unless you are going to a game. The only other thing to do is go down to Patriots place and go to lunch or do some shopping. That's about it.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:39 AM

12,447 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Newburyport is beautiful downtown - gotta check out:
1. The Frog Pond/promenade/Essex Superior Court building - basically the old town green
2. Market Square - shops and restaurants in nicely restored 19th century buildings (earlier ones wiped out in a fire)
3. The harborfront - pretty harborfront boardwalk and small park for functions
...the Frog Pond is a little less than a mile from the train station and the MS and HF are just a few blocks from there.

...and I think our parks that flank the town are really special:
4. Maudslay State Park - a former estate with a square mile of open fields, managed forest and carriage roads, with elevated views of the Merrimack River (my favorite)
5. Parker River National Wildlife Refuge - a barrier island refuge on the southern side of Plum Island, with salt marsh and the Plum Island Sound to the west and dunes and open ocean to the east. This is an Audubon refuge. At the southern tip of the island/refuge is Sandy Point State Reservation, with some sweeping water views and photogenic rocks at low tide, and you look across the inlet to Crane Beach in Ipswich.

These parks aren't far from town, but you're not going to walk it. Cycling is fine in mild weather. Early November shouldn't be too bad, but you'd want to take a car. I live in town and have family visiting this same weekend, and I will take them to all these places :-)

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-10-2018 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
Newport RI and area.....about one hour from much of boston to the top of the Island.

Bottom of the island is two plant hardiness zones south of Boston - and entire area is a different climate zone. This means warmer weather in the fall especially due to Gulfstream flow. If you have a choice and can watch wind forecasts for a southern flow, so much the better.

On public transportation? Nah. I love it there, but I wouldn't want to try to take public transit from Boston to there for a day trip. I'm not sure the ferry from PVD is even still running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts