Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't understand why we are making the apples and oranges comparison of politician vs. private sector earnings?

It's really easy to understand. Not sure what is so difficult. If you want talent, you need to compensate for it. Paying so much less in the public sector means quite often (not always, some have other means) you won't attract the best talent.

Quote:
Bottom line is, if a CEO continuously runs his private company on an unsustainable path; he does not make $1m a year. He gets FIRED.

First, this really isn't true. We see very often they get paid quite a bit, even huge bonuses and golden parachutes of tens of millions for doing a poor job, even putting their companies into bankruptcy.

Second, people don't believe this is the case with Baker. They overwhelmingly feel he is doing a fine job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's really easy to understand. Not sure what is so difficult. If you want talent, you need to compensate for it. Paying so much less in the public sector means quite often (not always, some have other means) you won't attract the best talent.
That's not how it works at all. No governor of any state has had pay to match the private sector, nor ever will. I'm not going to get into a deep explanation of how and why this is, I will also say that there is zero correlation between governors' salaries and performance or how hard working they are. I currently live in the state with the lowest paid governor in America. We have our issues, but overall the state is much better run and corruption is much lower. NH has a PT legislature, again getting better results. Look at the balance sheets, numbers don't lie...

Quote:
First, this really isn't true. We see very often they get paid quite a bit, even huge bonuses and golden parachutes of tens of millions for doing a poor job, even putting their companies into bankruptcy..

That would be true, but you seldom see that go on for an extended period of time as in a governor serving 2 terms at 8 years. They typically are "There", then take the money and run. Politicians, usually the opposite.

Quote:
Second, people don't believe this is the case with Baker. They overwhelmingly feel he is doing a fine job.
And that same electorate voted TWICE for Deval, and THREE times for Dukakis. Maura Healey, Marsha Coakley, Sal Dimasi, Thomas Finneran, Charles Flaherty, Barney Frank, I could go on...

Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
That's not how it works at all. No governor of any state has had pay to match the private sector, nor ever will. I'm not going to get into a deep explanation of how and why this is, I will also say that there is zero correlation between governors' salaries and performance or how hard working they are. I currently live in the state with the lowest paid governor in America. We have our issues, but overall the state is much better run and corruption is much lower. NH has a PT legislature, again getting better results. Look at the balance sheets, numbers don't lie...
Gah, of course it won't match private sector. You still have to compensate decently unless you want total garbage. You had a whack job racist governor in Maine who blames his tirades on having English as his second language (you got the bottom of the barrel) and NH's economy is based on Massachusetts's jobs. They aren't getting better results at all.

Quote:
And that same electorate voted TWICE for Deval, and THREE times for Dukakis. Maura Healey, Marsha Coakley, Sal Dimasi, Thomas Finneran, Charles Flaherty, Barney Frank, I could go on...

Yup, they did. And its still one of the best economies in the country and one of the best run states in the Nation.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Gah, of course it won't match private sector. You still have to compensate decently unless you want total garbage. You had a whack job racist governor in Maine who blames his tirades on having English as his second language (you got the bottom of the barrel) and NH's economy is based on Massachusetts's jobs. They aren't getting better results at all.
I suggest looking at the numbers, vs. slanted, sensational national news coverage. Maine is much stronger after 8 years of LePage vs. before.

Quote:
Yup, they did. And its still one of the best economies in the country and one of the best run states in the Nation.
LOL at that.

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 AM

You keep cherry picking numbers (I could do the same, but leadership is FAR FAR more than financial numbers), but ask yourself, who is in better shape and has a better overall economy and outlook for the future?

Maine, with almost no population, rural, poor, and very very old. One functional economy (Portland) that is tourism dependent? The place that improved its economy not by growing jobs, but by slashing services to the most needy people in the already poor state?

Or Massachusetts, with a strong very well educated population, dense and urban, with a very diverse economy of excellent paying jobs?

If you really say Maine... well. Cuckoo.

Last edited by timberline742; 01-07-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You keep cherry picking numbers (I could do the same, but leadership is FAR FAR more than financial numbers), but ask yourself, who is in better shape and has a better overall economy and outlook for the future?

Maine, with almost no population, rural, poor, and very very old. One functional economy (Portland) that is tourism dependent?

Or Massachusetts, with a strong very well educated population, dense and urban, with a very diverse economy of excellent paying jobs?

If you really say Maine... well. Cuckoo.
I'm not going to compare 2 totally incomparable states. Of course Mass. has a stronger economy, thanks to its location, population density and educational, etc. infrastructure that has developed over the centuries (long before Baker, Patrick or any of those clowns came into play). Saying that, Maine does outdo Mass. on a few indicators. More Americans are moving into ME vs. moving out, whereas with MA it's the opposite. Comparatively, Maine has its fiscal house in order and in that aspect more sustainable over the long term. Lesser chance of becoming the next Illinois.

It's a question of who has done a better job of working with and managing the situation they have in front of them. If you care to research, LePage's leadership has some impressive results. Maine is in no doubt in a much stronger position now that when he took over. Apples to apples, it is performing much better than let's say, Vermont. With Janet Mills and the new General Assembly, I fear that those gains will now be erased.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
I'm super happy with Gov. Baker's performance, and clearly the voters of MA agree. I'm not familiar with LePage, but I don't doubt that he's done a good job as well. Incompetence is a dime a dozen; let's celebrate competence for once.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
If you care to research, LePage's leadership has some impressive results. .

I have. He screwed the least fortunate among those in Maine. He was a scumbag.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
He screwed the least fortunate among those in Maine.
In what way?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
In what way?

His slashing TANF, public health nurses and other public health programs, by hurting people already with high food insecurity with this cutting food aid... on and on and on. Maine was already bad with its high food insecurity rates (worst in New England), and he caused it to go even higher.

That freaking loser of a Governor (who, had very very low favorability ratings, unlike Baker) couldn't expand or improve the economy, he instead improved the books by hurting people. Classic conservative politician.

You know this crud. You just celebrate them because they screw people. Watch out for those ziki flies!

Last edited by timberline742; 01-07-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts