Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
They could just pick them up in a damn parking spot. Not in the middle of a road with hazards on. Imagine they had to walk an extra 7 to 13 feet.

Lots try, but passengers are super impatient. See it all the time in busy downtowns on weekend nights. I see it most weekends, people pulling on locked doors and banging on windows while drivers wait for people ahead of them to move forward so they can pull over. Lots of dealing with drunk kids who aren't the brightest bulbs on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lots try, but passengers are super impatient. See it all the time in busy downtowns on weekend nights. I see it most weekends, people pulling on locked doors and banging on windows while drivers wait for people ahead of them to move forward so they can pull over. Lots of dealing with drunk kids who aren't the brightest bulbs on the block.
maybe it's time for some policy changes.
I see ride shares waiting double parked and pulling over with no blinker an average of 12 times a day. And thats not an exaggeration. It has nothing to do with people trying to get into the car. It's selfish.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
maybe it's time for some policy changes.
I see ride shares waiting double parked and pulling over with no blinker an average of 12 times a day. And thats not an exaggeration. It has nothing to do with people trying to get into the car. It's selfish.

I see that everywhere I go where cabs are common too, or did before their seemed to be fewer. It's hardly a car share specific thing.

If by policy changes they make sure there are regular loading and unloading zones that are kept open, yeah, that might help.

No idea what ride shares have to do with MBTA fares though.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
It was mentioned because it was said that the new workforce generation prefers it to public transport.
I have been around when cabs were around man. it's way worse with ride shares.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed on all counts.

I really wish Boston and Massachusetts would go all-in on transit improvements and investments. We're stepping in the right direction. The less-visible upgrades on the T have already made a difference. The more visible changes on the immediate horizon (new Red/Orange fleets, Green Line Extension/New Green Line Fleet, etc.) will further improve the system. The more distant upgrades (more versatile commuter rail fleet, electrification of the CR network, Mattapan High Speed Line upgrades, Blue Line extension on both ends, etc.) will make it even more user friendly.

But right now, many people can still make the argument that it's easier to drive. As long as that's the case, we're going to be far more car-centric than we should be. Commuter rail schedules don't make sense for many, and they're too expensive for many more. The Orange Line is still an overcrowded, unreliable crumbling rust bucket, the Red Line is still plagued by too many issues. The Blue Line is fine, but it doesn't connect enough people to where they want to go, and the Green Line is too slow. As long as all of those things remain constant, people will choose driving. Even if they don't drive downtown, they're going to skip the commuter rail and drive to places like Quincy Adams, Wellington, Riverside, Alewife, etc. All of which adds congestion to the outer suburbs which combines with congestion in the inner suburbs and creates a giant cluster of awful. But... it's still better than transit for many.

We need a more dependable, affordable (Commuter Rail prices are absurd), and accessible transit network before people willingly choose it as an alternative to driving. You can't do that without funding, and fare hikes don't increase funding - they just offset some of the costs. And not even that well. The T could do much better if they cracked down on fare dodgers. But I digress... With the good economy and a growing population, traffic is getting worse. You're only going to see a major push for T improvements when drivers simply can't take it anymore and we're close to that tipping point, but not quite there.
If I were made Dictator of Massachusetts, I would (new projects, not stuff that is already underway)...

The emphasis is on bang-for-the-buck, utilitarian. Very little idealistic, feel good type stuff that has been proven ineffective and/or unlikely to serve and existing need or change behavior patterns. Minimal new roads or rails are involved here, more so the better utilization of current infrastructure and right of ways. When it comes to roads, the focus is on improving choke points as opposed to widening (when there both isn't the extra room nor is there anywhere to "dump" the extra traffic).

Starting with transit:

Blue Line
a. Extend to Lynn
b. New mega-garage in Wonderland
c. Connecting with the Red Line is too expensive, not cost effective, and not needed imo.

Red Line
a. Expand garages in Braintree, Quincy Adams, Quincy Center, and Alewife
b. Replace Mattapan Line with BRT

Orange Line
a. Extend to Needham, replacing the Needham Commuter Rail Line. New "superstation" with mega- garage to replacing the Hersey stop, to be constructed around where St. Sebastian's is. Yes it will require land-takings, possibly state or conservation land. Priorities people.
b. Expand the Wellington garage, maybe?

Green Line
a. Eh, don't know if a whole lot more can be done there TBH. Maybe eliminate stops on the B Line?

Commuter Rail
a. Electrify ALL lines and push for HSR.
b. Forget about South Coast Rail. Focus on improving the Lakeville/Middleboro Line. Is the Lakeville/Middleboro lot full these days? If so, new garage there. MAYBE extend the Stoughton Line to Taunton, with a stop at Easton, 495 (in Raynham) and DT Taunton.
c. It's too late to stop the CF/Pawtucket project, put having that AND the S Attleboro stop in existence is too much. Close the S Attleboro Station and work with RI to build sufficient parking between Providence and the new CF/Pawtucket station.
d. New station at 495 in Mansfield.
e. Worcester Line, eliminate the Southborough station and build a new one (with mega garage) near the junction of 495 and Rte. 9. Build new garage in Worcester.
f. New mega garage in Littleton.
g. Try to get NH on board and extend Lowell Line to Nashua or even Manchester.

Now for Roads:

South of Boston:

a. Rte. 3, add 3rd lane to Plymouth.
b. Bring Rte. 24 to actual interstate standards.
c. Widen 128 between Rte. 24 and Braintree Split to 5 lanes each direction.
d. Replace 24/128 interchange.
e. Replace Braintree Split.
d. Something radical must be done with the SE expressway. I say add elevated toll lanes down the median from the split to the Pike.
e. Get the 95/128 interchange reconstruction done.

West of Boston:

a. Replace 128/Pike interchange.
b. Replace Pike/495 interchange.
c. Replace 495/295 interchange.
d. Widen Pike to 4 lanes each direction between 128 and 84.

North of Boston:

a. Replace 128/93 interchange (possibly the most pressing need in the state right now). Tell the NIMBYs to go stuff it.
b. Get the Rte. 1 N reconstruction done.
c. Do something about Bell Circle. Maybe flyover ramps for Rte. 1A?

Urban areas:

a. regulate the heck out of ride shares.
b. Quit with the silly bike lanes that people don't know how to use (both drivers AND cyclists), and cause nothing but danger and confusion.

Elsewhere in the state:

a. Access road from the Pike to Worcester Airport. Finally push for that airport to be utilized to its full potential and relieve Logan (and city of Boston) congestion to the greatest extent that it can.

Everywhere in the state:

a. Aggressive conversion of 1950s era cloverleaf intersections responsible for needless backups and dangerous weaving, to more modern configurations on a one-by-one basis.

Now HOW to fund it all:

a. Will NOT increase fares, gas taxes or any kind of "congestion fees". Those sound good/feel good measures hit the WRONG people. EVERY time around. EVERYBODY benefits from ALL these projects in some shape or form, whether they are a direct "user" or not.
b. MASSIVE reform, to include full repeal of "Pacheco Law" and prevailing wage rules that have left the state completely unable to meet its transportation needs in an affordable or sustainable fashion. Adopt the NH model, where they get the job done (in most cases better) at 1/3 the cost and still manage to pay competitive wages and benefits to their laborers. Finally, immediately cease the practice of funding salaries and operating costs through through bonds. That is pure insanity, and irresponsible. Any free cash should be split between the rainy day fund, and one-time capital projects.
c. Bring welfare costs down to a sustainable level. New time limits and work requirements similar to what LePage did for Maine, or at the very least return to the Weld/Celluci era reforms.
d. MBTA parking should be completely privatized with some anti-gouging measures put in place. It's an untapped cash cow, with all new parking lots/garages having the ability to pay for themselves.
e. New tolls such as on the aforementioned express lanes on the SE Expressway.
f. If any additional funding sources are (and that is a big IF) needed, slap on temporary REGIONAL sales tax surcharges. I suppose it could be done by county or something, based on the level it benefits each area of the state. Somebody on the Cape or in Western Mass. ideally wouldn't pay additional taxes to fund the 128/93 project, for example.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:

No idea what ride shares have to do with MBTA fares though.
I thought this would be pretty obvious, but the MBTA is very clearly losing money to rideshares. I'm not sure how well documented the financials are, but this WGBH article from earlier 2018 captures most of my observations pretty accurately. Commuters to a lesser degree but when the T takes a dump you see how much surges go up.

And cabs at least have cab stands in many places which they are obligated to use. They have at least a few rules that are regulated and enforced.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Everywhere in the state:

a. Aggressive conversion of 1950s era cloverleaf intersections responsible for needless backups and dangerous weaving, to more modern configurations on a one-by-one basis.

These never made any sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I thought this would be pretty obvious, but the MBTA is very clearly losing money to rideshares. I'm not sure how well documented the financials are, but this WGBH article from earlier 2018 captures most of my observations pretty accurately. Commuters to a lesser degree but when the T takes a dump you see how much surges go up.

And cabs at least have cab stands in many places which they are obligated to use. They have at least a few rules that are regulated and enforced.

Yeah, I'd actually want to see data on what percentage of people using ride share to commute regularly would be taking the T, what that dollar amount is, and what the value of the time differential is (opportunity cost of the time), before jumping on that train. I suspect its cabs taking the vast majority of the hit and not the T. What the surge does when the T isn't usable doesn't tell any helpful story in the grand scheme.

But, the MBTA is still a good deal compared to the costs of similar systems. They've done what, 5 increases in 10 years, so every other year, and this one is what... about 3.1% per year... which is effectively inflation. So, in reality, no real increase in real dollars. They're just trying to keep even.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'd actually want to see data on what percentage of people using ride share to commute regularly would be taking the T, what that dollar amount is, and what the value of the time differential is (opportunity cost of the time), before jumping on that train. I suspect its cabs taking the vast majority of the hit and not the T. What the surge does when the T isn't usable doesn't tell any helpful story in the grand scheme.
From another article:

"MBTA ridership is on the decline.

The agency has in recent weeks divulged it saw a decrease in trips in fiscal 2017 from the previous year. Ridership dipped 2 percent on its heavy rail lines, and 6 percent on buses.

Ride-hail services Uber and Lyft may be partially to blame. About 30 percent of passengers surveyed told the T that they use public transit less because of the availability of these services. "

There are way too many moving parts to make the kinds of observations you want to see quantified and it would require some more studying, but it is pretty clear they are losing fares.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
There are way too many moving parts to make the kinds of observations you want to see quantified and it would require some more studying, but it is pretty clear they are losing fares.

Sure, they're losing some fares. Is the dollar amounts of those fares offset by increases in non-transit time, and what is being done (produced or consumed) with that time, though? These things need to be looked at holistically.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
True, but beyond that "argument", it also comes down to two things...
I agree with all of this, and I think people are starting to come around on it - largely because it's it's impacting them personally.

Quote:
It was mentioned because it was said that the new workforce generation prefers it to public transport.
I have been around when cabs were around man. it's way worse with ride shares.
They're definitely worse. And I do know people who use them to commute regularly. The "pool" functionalities are almost as low as subway fares. Or at least not so much more that it's prohibitive for many. Frankly, I think the state could make more money for transit by imposing taxes on ride shares, and enforcing violations (including simple traffic violations) consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If I were made Dictator of Massachusetts, I would (new projects, not stuff that is already underway)...
Largely agree with most of these. A few of my comments (bold)

Blue Line
a. Extend to Lynn - Definitely. Lynn has the potential to be to the North Shore what Quincy is to the South Shore. Except Lynn benefits from better waterfront connectivity to the urban core
c. Connecting with the Red Line is too expensive, not cost effective, and not needed imo. It's prohibitive on its own, but could be done with MGH cooperation which has been hinted at before (i.e. building headhouses in their new buildings on Cambridge Street). The BL tunnel actually extends a good ways up Cambridge already (well passed Bowdoin) due to the loop. Cut and cover tunneling makes the rest of it less than prohibitive too. Frankly, I'd be happy with a 600 foot pedestrian tunnel between State and DTX. You don't need to go to Charles/MGH to connect the two.

Red Line
b. Replace Mattapan Line with BRT Looks like this isn't going to happen and this will get the same vehicles that are in the works for the Green Line. Audits indicated that replacing it with bus would actually be more expensive to operate/maintain.

Orange Line
a. Extend to Needham, replacing the Needham Commuter Rail Line. New "superstation" with mega- garage to replacing the Hersey stop, to be constructed around where St. Sebastian's is. Yes it will require land-takings, possibly state or conservation land. Priorities people. Love this.

Green Line
a. Eh, don't know if a whole lot more can be done there TBH. Maybe eliminate stops on the B Line? I wish they would. Absolutely no need for that many stops. New vehicles and better signal tech should help too.

Commuter Rail
a. Electrify ALL lines and push for HSR. Yep
d. New station at 495 in Mansfield. While keeping the existing one? Tough to get rid of a downtown station, but a 495 stop would be great for people who live far from the commuter rail (not unlike Woburn/Anderson)
g. Try to get NH on board and extend Lowell Line to Nashua or even Manchester. This would be great. Portsmouth would be be well-served by a NBPT line extension.
h. Eliminate Silver Hill and Hastings stations in Weston. Combined 62 riders per day between the two stations. Like BU, cutting unnecessary stops speeds up trips. Fitchburg Line is currently the longest line on the system (apart from PVD line to Wickford Junction). Cut the fat.

Now for Roads:

South of Boston:
b. Bring Rte. 24 to actual interstate standards. Add a third lane between Exit 14 (495) and the Route 79 split (exit 7) to eliminate an awful bottleneck.

North of Boston:
a. Replace 128/93 interchange (possibly the most pressing need in the state right now). Tell the NIMBYs to go stuff it. This is a mess.

Urban areas:

a. regulate the heck out of ride shares. Yes
b. Quit with the silly bike lanes that people don't know how to use (both drivers AND cyclists), and cause nothing but danger and confusion. They shouldn't be part of of every road project, but some real, functional separated bikeways would be huge for traffic issues. Think Minuteman Bikeway. actual right of ways, separated from roads, connecting towns and neighborhoods to transit and city centers. Minuteman is a huge success. A few real, separated bikeways through the center of Boston connecting to transit and outer neighborhoods would take a TON of pressure off of the roads. But these painted on things that go for a block or two and stop? They don't do much in most cases. Sometimes they give riders a false sense of security as drivers don't pay attention. Just a handful of corridors would do the trick as bikes don't require a ton of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts