Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s a really short summer. The ocean is very cold. The banana belt of New England with warmer water is the southern coastline of Cape Cod starting at Chatham and extending west into Connecticut. Even then, June is still cool if you’re right on the coast but it’s still warm water in the fall.
It's true, the water is very cold. I was in Kennebunkport last Summer during some of those 100° days. I couldn't even immerse myself in inlet water, even though the weather was very hot and it was the end of the Summer (so the water was as warm as it was going to get). I grew up swimming in the waters of Martha's Vineyard and I prefer cooler weather in general, so I am used to cold water. But it was too cold even for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I can't recall much of a downtown living on the south shore there or at least enough to validate a trip. Hill for Nantasket on the other hand..

Quaint little downtown shops are usually seasonal. Seasonal means drug use and selling in the off season or its just a hobby of a retiree. If you don't sell on the internet you really can't budget for that.

Actually, you can budget for that. Many seasonal businesses make enough revenue during the high season to carry them through. I know many small business owners living their dream because they hustle for 6-9 months out of the year. None of them are using or dealing drugs to do it either.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 16,211 times
Cape cod is going down due to the sharks scare (they are only on the cold side of the cape and not on the warm side where you would swim anyway) and higher taxes. You may not be able to rent it out during the summer

Old 09-21-2019, 02:49 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
If you're looking at Maine and love Bar Harbor, I'd also suggest considering Camden, ME. It has similar ingredients - on the ocean, with lakes and mountains nearby, nice downtown shops, eateries and pretty residential streets. It is also less crowded than Bar Harbor in summer, doesn't take cruise ships, still has life in winter, has a small but lively arts scene in the area (along with neighboring Rockport and Rockland) and it has decent primary medical care and a community hospital closeby (Pen Bay Medical Center). And it's still a ways out, but it's about 1.5hrs to Portland, instead of 3hrs.

Camden is beautiful, and there is considerable tourism and summer rental activity there, and you can find a nice family size house there (or in Rockport) in the $400K-$600K range too.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-21-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 11,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If you're looking at Maine and love Bar Harbor, I'd also suggest considering Camden, ME. It has similar ingredients - on the ocean, with lakes and mountains nearby, nice downtown shops, eateries and pretty residential streets. It is also less crowded than Bar Harbor in summer, doesn't take cruise ships, still has life in winter, has a small but lively arts scene in the area (along with neighboring Rockport and Rockland) and it has decent primary medical care and a community hospital closeby (Pen Bay Medical Center). And it's still a ways out, but it's about 1.5hrs to Portland, instead of 3hrs.

Camden is beautiful, and there is considerable tourism and summer rental activity there, and you can find a nice family size house there (or in Rockport) in the $400K-$600K range too.
Thank you, I’ve heard that town mentioned in many travel articles. I will definitely check it out!

Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Seaheart33785, I live (half the year) in Wellfleet. If Boston is an important place for you to go, then perhaps you'd best consider some location off-Cape, perhaps some place on the south shore area of MA (from Sagamore and up to Plymouth).

If you really do wish to come and go to your residence, then dealing with Sagamore (or Bourne) bridge traffic during the summer would be a nightmare.

Best of luck,

Rich

PS
There is no "shark-scare" affecting the Cape. My town was packed this summer. Although, us "locals" do refer to tourists as "chum." :-/

Eight year old niece and I discussing shark issues at Newcomb's Hollow Beach, Wellfleet.

Last edited by RichCapeCod; 09-22-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Seaheart33785, I live (half the year) in Wellfleet. If Boston is an important place for you to go, then perhaps you'd best consider some location off-Cape, perhaps some place on the south shore area of MA (from Sagamore and up to Plymouth).

If you really do wish to come and go to your residence, then dealing with Sagamore (or Bourne) bridge traffic during the summer would be a nightmare.

Best of luck,

Rich

PS
There is no "shark-scare" affecting the Cape. My town was packed this summer. Although, us "locals" do refer to tourists as "chum." :-/

Eight year old niece and I discussing shark issues at Newcomb's Hollow Beach, Wellfleet.
I love the picture!! Thank you!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaheart33785 View Post
Thank you, I’ve heard that town mentioned in many travel articles. I will definitely check it out!
Here are some photos I've taken walking in Camden and the adjacent towns...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...den-cliff4.jpg

Old 09-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Here are some photos I've taken walking in Camden and the adjacent towns...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...den-cliff4.jpg

Wow, those pictures are beautiful! It really does look like a lovely, special place. Thank you!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:49 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
I love Provincetown! I would look there on the Cape as well and ferry to Boston as someone else suggested.
Portsmouth, NH and Southern ME are also great and love it there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts