Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. You still need the face time to be effective. I telecommuted for years. I spent a lot of time on airplanes getting the face time. You can’t do that from India.
See also: the workers in India capable of critical thinking are no longer that cheap and/or are already in western or other markets outside of India. Sure, one can still off load mindless toil to Indian on the cheap, but that doesn't really change the current landscape in MA.

The bigger threats in my industry seems to be eastern Europe, Italy, etc. where the education is stronger and creative think promoted (depending on the country and culture). But again, cost savings are marginal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 02:31 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

The bigger threats in my industry seems to be eastern Europe, Italy, etc. where the education is stronger and creative think promoted (depending on the country and culture). But again, cost savings are marginal.
I was in Central and eastern Europe over the summer and I have a side hobby in Asia (remote) the high end of China is about the low end of Eastern Europe right now. But translation, time zones, energy etc are all factors. It depends what industry you are in. Creativity in Asia? Heck no

Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
See also: the workers in India capable of critical thinking are no longer that cheap and/or are already in western or other markets outside of India. Sure, one can still off load mindless toil to Indian on the cheap, but that doesn't really change the current landscape in MA.

If you look around your own office (assuming the work requires sitting infront of a computer) what percentage of workers require deep critical thinking.

In my experience, its about 15 to 20%.. the rest are in danger of outsourcing as the skills gap reduces

Old 10-15-2019, 12:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If you look around your own office (assuming the work requires sitting infront of a computer) what percentage of workers require deep critical thinking.

In my experience, its about 15 to 20%.. the rest are in danger of outsourcing as the skills gap reduces
90%+, but we're in consultant services for challenging systems design. Other industries likely vary. Additionally, we've had other teams in India handle some low level design/human factor works and it was underwhelming. The 'polish' was there, but the thinking was not - all show, no go.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think that they can generally be a break between your hard sciences and your social sciences. Many people that grew up with the former Soviet Union were very highly integrated into stem fields. By any measure that could figure things out mathematically an engineer quite a bit but what it comes down to it they are totally clueless in social sciences that involved being accountable to a committee, dealing with a budget, dealing with the General Public etc.

The problem with hard Sciences is frankly there usually is very little to set there is no other theories or perspectives on how something happened. Yes of course they're complete disciplines within science feels like a physicist versus a chemist but you don't have nearly the same wide variety that you'd have what's a political science, business, Psychiatry, sociology etc

Examples of various prayers foreign hard Sciences have been blatantly ripped off of the value of the product or they've simply giving it away for free without thinking of any form of a business plan. Sometimes it really is sad because they can get taken advantage of but the reality is if they don't understand how people think rather than just subject based learning they're always going to be behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts