Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 01:34 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,526,229 times

Advertisements

I just thought of this again after learning Worcester actually got the Pawsox. Related to this, 10,000 seats seems like kind of a lot for a minor league stadium. I saw some videos from a few years ago highlighting some improvements going on in downtown Worcester and they look great. Worcester's probably the best alternative to ever-expensive Boston and commuting will be even better once MBTA finally electrifies the commuter rail system. Worcester also has pretty large city limits compared to most large New England cities so I think it could hit 200,000 people sometime next decade. That Amazon Headquarters definitely was too good to be true. That would have switched the city into hyperdrive. It's a well connected city to Boston and even to New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,315 times
I can see Worcester improving over the long term. However, this improvement is not likely to be due to an influx of people who work in Boston moving there. During peak hours a commute from Worcester to Boston by any means is >1.5 hours each way. Which carries its own additional direct costs along with it as well, a monthly Zone 8 commuter rail pass is $388 per month/$4565 per year.

If Worcester sees a substantial increase in property values and development over the long term it will be because of an increase of office space and commercial development in the Worcester area. Which admittedly is something I can see happening given its relative proximity to Boston and increase in development as you mentioned.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:08 AM

7,928 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Any urban area that's connected to Boston by any form of Transit is going to be bound to have a higher property valuation. It could be loyal to be Brockton could be worse there could be even Lawrence. Not everybody wants to live in a town and if they want to live in a cheaper City and still have connections to Boston then so be it.

The only issue I see it it's one that I think eventually is going to be addressed that hasn't mentioned here many times before he's at the Rail between Springfield and Worcester is not up to the standards for more frequent travel. Eventually I think it's going to be updated. Not next year or the year after but I'd say within 10 years it is going to happen. As prices increase in Worcester it's bound to drive some people out and without some form of further Transit they going to have nowhere else to go. I've heard of people in Brockton getting priced out that are going to Fall River in New Bedford so the likelihood is there that once this gets set up we'll see people priced out of Worcester going to Springfield and other areas north and south such as hartford or maybe Holyoke

Old 12-02-2019, 06:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,702,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Any urban area that's connected to Boston by any form of Transit is going to be bound to have a higher property valuation. It could be loyal to be Brockton could be worse there could be even Lawrence. Not everybody wants to live in a town and if they want to live in a cheaper City and still have connections to Boston then so be it.

The only issue I see it it's one that I think eventually is going to be addressed that hasn't mentioned here many times before he's at the Rail between Springfield and Worcester is not up to the standards for more frequent travel. Eventually I think it's going to be updated. Not next year or the year after but I'd say within 10 years it is going to happen. As prices increase in Worcester it's bound to drive some people out and without some form of further Transit they going to have nowhere else to go. I've heard of people in Brockton getting priced out that are going to Fall River in New Bedford so the likelihood is there that once this gets set up we'll see people priced out of Worcester going to Springfield and other areas north and south such as hartford or maybe Holyoke
Seriously, how many people do you think are dying to take a train from Worcester to Springfield or vice versa every day?

Old 12-02-2019, 06:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderbuttons View Post
I can see Worcester improving over the long term. However, this improvement is not likely to be due to an influx of people who work in Boston moving there. During peak hours a commute from Worcester to Boston by any means is >1.5 hours each way. Which carries its own additional direct costs along with it as well, a monthly Zone 8 commuter rail pass is $388 per month/$4565 per year.
Remember, almost no one is paying that much. At worse it is pre tax money.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Remember, almost no one is paying that much. At worse it is pre tax money.
That's not true at all. A lot of companies don't offer huge subsidies and the federal pre tax cap is about $230/month so people in zone 4 and higher are paying anything above that post tax, even if their employer provides a subsidy.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
That's not true at all. A lot of companies don't offer huge subsidies and the federal pre tax cap is about $230/month so people in zone 4 and higher are paying anything above that post tax, even if their employer provides a subsidy.

So, in fact, they are not paying that much, just as I said. Thank you.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
So, in fact, they are not paying that much, just as I said. Thank you.
Not everyone gets a subsidy... And remember most CR riders have to pay for parking on top of the monthly pass cost.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Not everyone gets a subsidy... And remember most CR riders have to pay for parking on top of the monthly pass cost.

I never said nor implied "everyone" does. Of course there are a few people that do not. Very few.

Geez, people like to be argumentative here. Sigh.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,786,197 times
Quote:
I never said nor implied "everyone" does. Of course there are a few people that do not. Very few.
Disagree, I think most companies don't offer a subsidy anymore. At best you get the tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts