Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 06:33 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Redplum, so what is your goal/hope? My goal/hope is to curb cases until vaccines and better treatment. That news (and yes, I saw the 7 day reports!) was pretty much more than anybody could have hoped for (and yes, probably better than it will work in the long run) - and if it helps convince some people that it's worth distancing and mask wearing for a few more months, I am all for it. If there is no hope of a vaccine and better treatment - well than we better invest in cremation centers and PTSD treatment for medical providers.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this. We all know we're rushing the vaccines through, but as long as there are no serious side effects, the current situation calls for a different risk/reward scenario than we are used to. But what better news than to have not one, but two, vaccines with 90+% potential success rate, and ready for scaleup to mass production? We should all get behind this, and our strategy in the meantime should quickly change to containment for the next 5 months or so. In other words, do whatever it takes--universal masking, interstate travel bans, cancel Thanksgiving / Christmas / New Year's--to make sure the numbers don't continue their current exponential trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 06:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
More good news from Moderna, 94.5% effective. 15,000 participants were given the vaccine, and only five of them developed Covid-19. None of the five became severely ill and no abnormal side effects were reported. The storage requirements are less complicated than Pfizer as well.

Impressive sample sizes. You, of course, don't need sample sizes near that large for statistically significant (or even highly significant) results, depending on the variance. But its good to see.

The question is, to me (and I'm sure others), is how well these test populations mirror demographically the general population. That has, in the past, tripped up some studies (I'm not saying specifically vaccine studies, but medical studies in general).

Old 11-16-2020, 07:23 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The question is, to me (and I'm sure others), is how well these test populations mirror demographically the general population. That has, in the past, tripped up some studies (I'm not saying specifically vaccine studies, but medical studies in general).
I am sure is not a great samples but frankly I can't think of an easier/safer drug to develop than a vaccine (ok, with the exception of HIV). So, I would be very surprised if there were huge problems with these vaccines.

I am more concerned that the virus is going to mutate and jump again to humans from animals and/or that the protection is going to be short lasting and people will need to be vaccinated constantly, like the flu.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I am more concerned that the virus is going to mutate and jump again to humans from animals and/or that the protection is going to be short lasting and people will need to be vaccinated constantly, like the flu.

I presume this will be the case. These types of diseases mutate frequently. It's not a polio or measles situation. If we could even get to a 1x a year cover majority of strains situation, I'd be more than content.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:45 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:52 AM

It also very much be that there isn't one yearly vaccine, but there will be several that a curated toward different groups with different risk factors... age, pre-existing conditions, etc. Still, this is excellent news overall. Of course there will still be some hiccups, that's almost inevitable, but that's ok.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:02 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Impressive sample sizes. You, of course, don't need sample sizes near that large for statistically significant (or even highly significant) results, depending on the variance. But its good to see.

So my sample size isn't remotely statistically significant, but when the Moderna trial first came out I shared how to register on Facebook. While I'm disappointed that I wasn't selected, 5 friends who saw my post and commented/kept me updated did. They range from age 35 to 68, 4 women and 1 man, and 3 are cancer survivors. 2 are Black, 1 is mixed race, and two are white (one Ashkenazi Jewish). Like I said, super small group but relatively diverse with a range of complicating factors.

The youngest who was enrolled in the trial expressed that she had a really robust immune response to whatever she got. She was knocked out on her couch for 2 days. She feels fairly convinced that she got the actual vaccine versus the placebo. Of course, the big concern is that if the vaccine makes you feel like crap for a day or two that the antivaxers will have more ammunition.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So my sample size isn't remotely statistically significant, but when the Moderna trial first came out I shared how to register on Facebook. While I'm disappointed that I wasn't selected, 5 friends who saw my post and commented/kept me updated did. They range from age 35 to 68, 4 women and 1 man, and 3 are cancer survivors. 2 are Black, 1 is mixed race, and two are white (one Ashkenazi Jewish). Like I said, super small group but relatively diverse with a range of complicating factors.
I am not particularly concerned about the diversity in term of race or age. I am concerned about the diversity in term of behavior.
How many of these people were really good at social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks and so on? I would assume much more than the general population and we know very well that masks and social distancing are effective.
So the 90% efficacy could be lower. How much lower is the question.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The youngest who was enrolled in the trial expressed that she had a really robust immune response to whatever she got. She was knocked out on her couch for 2 days. She feels fairly convinced that she got the actual vaccine versus the placebo. Of course, the big concern is that if the vaccine makes you feel like crap for a day or two that the antivaxers will have more ammunition.
Not just antivaxers, but it will be at odds with human nature. Younger people at minimal risk are not going to be inclined to get a vaccine that hits them harder than the actual virus. Much of this demographic has already proven that they do not see the big picture for the greater good. Universities and K-12 will probably mandate vaccination. Not sure how you are going to ensure good coverage with unaffiliated young adults though.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Not just antivaxers, but it will be at odds with human nature. Younger people at minimal risk are not going to be inclined to get a vaccine that hits them harder than the actual virus. Much of this demographic has already proven that they do not see the big picture for the greater good. Universities and K-12 will probably mandate vaccination. Not sure how you are going to ensure good coverage with unaffiliated young adults though.
It should still be OK as more people get vaccinated (or catch it...) it will be that much more difficult for it to spread. But you are right there will be outbreaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts