Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 01:36 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

If things are not shut down people are going to do them. Hockey was shut down for two weeks....it was opened back up. Do you really think kids who play and love it are going to sit it out when their friends are all playing? You can't play hockey via zoom. I grew up in a big hockey family where hockey was THE sport, my DH played pro hockey and has been a couch for years. We follow the rules and as long as the rink is open the kids will play. If school was open full time, my kids would be there full time. Tired of seeing the fingers pointed at the hockey players here. Point fingers at the 20 somethings hanging out in bars or having parties in their homes. Or point them at people going to church for God's sake.

We are zooming with the group we normally do thanksgiving with.

and no apparently we are not all on the same team. A LOT of judgement going on here. Not every person or family is gong to be shut up in the house. Respect those that need to get out to do certain things safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 02:04 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If things are not shut down people are going to do them. Hockey was shut down for two weeks....it was opened back up. Do you really think kids who play and love it are going to sit it out when their friends are all playing? You can't play hockey via zoom. I grew up in a big hockey family where hockey was THE sport, my DH played pro hockey and has been a couch for years. We follow the rules and as long as the rink is open the kids will play. If school was open full time, my kids would be there full time. Tired of seeing the fingers pointed at the hockey players here. Point fingers at the 20 somethings hanging out in bars or having parties in their homes. Or point them at people going to church for God's sake.

and no apparently we are not all on the same team. A LOT of judgement going on here. Not every person or family is gong to be shut up in the house. Respect those that need to get out to do certain things safely.
So we should not point fingers at kids playing hockey, but we should point fingers at people going to church? Why is hockey more important than church? IMO, both should be shut right now, considering the level of community spread. No question.
Weren't you the one inviting your parents over, who then invited the aunt who works in a hospital? Perhaps it was someone else...
And no, unfortunately, we are not all on the same team. Some (including some in my own family) want everything open and let people die; others, like myself, think we shut down as much as possible to bring cases back down, and have the "privileged" (via the government and ultimately increased taxes) pay to support those struggling right now. And many don't give a d* about anyone but their own circle. This pandemic has been very eye-opening to me.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:15 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

I respect those that need to go out and do certain things safely. Need. Hockey is not a need. You asked earlier if I had an axe to grind about hockey, ignoring that my point about hockey was an example, not exhaustive. However, I think I fall back on hockey because hockey families seem to think they're some kind of exception. They're not. Bringing your kids to hockey right now is incredibly irresponsible.

Work is a need, though as much work as can be done from home should be done from home.
Grocery shopping or picking up food is a need.
Checking in on an elderly relative or neighbor is a need.
Going to the doctor or picking up medicine is a need.

Right now, school is not a need (though much closer to a need than many other things, including group athletics). Indoor group athletics is not a need.

I can only use you as an example because you've shared a lot about your situation. To my knowledge, no one here is going to church or drinking in bars. I'm not really sure why you see either as worse than playing hockey, which is equally high risk. Hockey practice has, what, 12-15 kids? Double that to include 1 parent, and you're looking at an exposure group of 24-30. Then start expanding out for additional rings of exposure. You've posted that your family of 4 sees both sets of grandparents and an uncle. So that means every time your child goes to hockey practice, they're exposing other players to 9 other people. Now let's assume 2 of the players have stepparents where they split their time going back and forth. 7 players have at least one parent who has to go to work - maybe they work in a hospital, a dentist's office, a vet, or a grocery store. Very quickly, the choice to expose yourself to 24-30 people regularly *really* means you're exposing yourself to a few hundred potential pathways for disease transmission - and that's just within 2 layers of connection. Which, honestly, I wouldn't care about - knock yourself out and don't go to the hospital if you get sick - but your choice to participate is now *also* exposing your mother's doctor or your coach's wife's coworker or your kid's teammate's teenage sister who works at a nursing home. Every choice we make is impacting an exponential number of people depending on how much contact you have.

This illustrates my point much better than words can.

Disease spread is not something that any of us can say is someone else's problem. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:21 PM

But the state/government is not shutting things down. Things were shut down for a quite a while last spring. If they shut them down again then people would have no choice but not to partake in certain activities.

And you're right I do think some people don't care that much about others and if they get sick. I think people are focusing on keeping themselves and their own families healthy and not worrying so much about the people in the next town over and how what they're doing might effect them. I'm certainly not hanging out in restaurants in bars, hell i havent even left the house today.

and yes there have been times I feel like i've been forced to be around people I didn't want to be around (my single aunt who works in a hospital). She has stopped by our house a few times and i didn't feel like i could kick her out.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Send a letter to Governor Baker and ask him to close things down then. You feel so strongly about it, you probably already have.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:12 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
There are 835 people in the hospital today. 54 new hospitalizations today. 44 yesterday. 32 the day before that. We'll be blowing past 1000 by Thanksgiving at this rate, since our percent positive keeps increasing too. Community spread is equal to what it was in May but with not nearly as many restrictions.

August 17: 367
September 17: 377
October 17: 500
November 17: 835

That's quite a curve. And new cases aren't slowing down. Each of these numbers doesn't just represent a sick person. It represents a bed that's not available for you and your loved ones, whether they have COVID or a heart attack. It represents doctors and nurses who are pulled off of you and your loved ones cases, or who experience burnout because they are under stress that none of us can possibly imagine.

Every choice you make in a pandemic impacts the health and safety of the community. No amount of talking or "but I'm the exception" or excuses changes that.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:15 PM

Ok I guess my family and I are to blame for the spread of Covid in MA and beyond....even though we've never had it nor do we know anyone who has.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I see that some people (namely the unemployed (apparently) basement dweller) is so clueless they don't understand calendars. I have not hung out with large numbers of people at all since I had to work with strangers closely for my job. I engaged in peaceful protests because I do care about people and I'm not a selfish ahole and fighting for social justice (while observing the precautions set forth at the time by state officials) is a moral responsibility. That was some time ago. I interacted with people this last weekend. Time is linear if you didn't know.

Stop bleeping lying. Stop making things up. Stop being a selfish ignorant jerk.

Quote:
Ok I guess my family and I are to blame for the spread of Covid in MA and beyond....even though we've never had it nor do we know anyone who has.

No one freaking blamed you! Your persecution complex is incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Meh. It’s the revenge of the High School C- students. Any populist movement targets them. The difference is that in 2020, they have an equal voice in social networks. 30 years ago, they were just some drunk shooting off their mouth at the bar that everyone else ignored.

Tying this into the pandemic, it’s how you spread misinformation that is contrary to rational public health policy.

Truth. Though C- might be generous.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:34 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
This happened in Cohasset over the weekend:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...nd-house-party

There were about 20 kids at the party and the parents were home. Happened on Jerusalem rd where the average home is about 3 million. I'm not sure why the schools felt the need to go remote for all. Seems like it would make more sense to make the students at the party stay home...i guess they must have had siblings who they saw and so on and so forth.
As the article noted, a number of kids ran away when the police arrived and weren't identified. Hence they don't know who to tell to stay home.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
But the state/government is not shutting things down. Things were shut down for a quite a while last spring. If they shut them down again then people would have no choice but not to partake in certain activities.

And you're right I do think some people don't care that much about others and if they get sick. I think people are focusing on keeping themselves and their own families healthy and not worrying so much about the people in the next town over and how what they're doing might effect them. I'm certainly not hanging out in restaurants in bars, hell i havent even left the house today.

and yes there have been times I feel like i've been forced to be around people I didn't want to be around (my single aunt who works in a hospital). She has stopped by our house a few times and i didn't feel like i could kick her out.
Sorry but you need to put on your big girl pants and tell Auntie she can't stop by. By not speaking up you can be the cause of further spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts