Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Funny store.. but Ive been to Europe over 20 times now and Ive learned not many people actually know what Massachusetts is. The name is kind of detering. Boston is much more well known. In parts of Portugal, Fall River was actually known over Boston by a few people.

Its strange, people will know what Harvard or MIT is. Probably know what Boston is too. Massachusetts? Nope... but its literally the first letter in MIT lol.
...because Fall Reevah is the home of many of their relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
That also reminds me in China many will know of KFC but probably don't know where Kentucky is. KFC came over with soldiers in Japan during the 50's occupation but it didn't really show up with maps.

Of course the funny thing is how some people take things. When I was in China I meant to say "I know of Yau Ming". They thought I said I actually know him.

I think most are more apt to identify the country first and then the part.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Of course MA is Boston-centric. The Commonwealth is about the size of two Texas counties.
It's also in between the size of Houston metro and DFW!

Houston = 5k sq mi
MA = 7840 mi^2 of land
DFW = 9250 mi^2

Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 PM

712 posts, read 542,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I say, "Western Mass, not the Boston part." But long ago on a trip to Europe I would say New York because no one had ever heard of Massachusetts. So...I'm standing on a street in Belgium looking at a store window and the people next to me asked where I was from. "American, New York area" (assuming that they probably would know where that was.)

They said they were from Massachusetts. Then I said I was actually from Massachusetts. WHERE in Massachusetts? and so it goes...turned out they were friends of my parents! From my own town! You never know.
Very few people in Europe knew Northeast states. When I was in Paris dining in restaurant for vacation, I told waiter there for the question where are you from? I said "Connecticut state of USA", don't know where. I said "New England", don't know either. Then I said, "near New York", Oh yeah, New York city, famous city with skyscrapers.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Very few people in Europe knew Northeast states. When I was in Paris dining in restaurant for vacation, I told waiter there for the question where are you from? I said "Connecticut state of USA", don't know where. I said "New England", don't know either. Then I said, "near New York", Oh yeah, New York city, famous city with skyscrapers.
I mean, how many people in New England know where Lower Saxony or Galicia are?
With the exception of people with specific interests few people know subdivisions of other countries.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's also in between the size of Houston metro and DFW!

Houston = 5k sq mi
MA = 7840 mi^2 of land
DFW = 9250 mi^2
In fairness metro areas in Texas tend to be calculated very liberally.
Of the 13 counties included in Dallas MSA only 3 have a higher population density than the average of MA and 2 of those counties have a lower density than Franklin county (lowest density in MA).

Old 05-27-2020, 01:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
There is also another big difference, both Chicago and NYC are very liberal cities while both upstate NY and the rest of IL are conservative. MA is quite uniform politically. I feel in today's hyper-political world this play a big in role in how the big city is seen.

I think MA and VT may be the only 2 states with "large" white liberal rural areas.
Maine does, and some parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa do , too...

Old 05-27-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Maine does, and some parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa do , too...
I thought the most rural part of Maine was the most red.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:59 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I thought the most rural part of Maine was the most red.
It is: https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...esident/maine/

Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,727,313 times
Here in Malaysia, I find it really depends on who I'm talking to. For some reason, Malaysians haven't heard of Billerica , so I usually just say I'm from the Boston area.

Some people know of Massachusetts, but others do not. As for my European friends, they all seem to know Massachusetts and Boston, but nobody knows of Billerica lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts