Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 AM

6,137 posts, read 5,103,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uh...isn't that what everybody (in the city) is basically complaining about these days? People being pushed out of their neighborhoods by gentrifyers and illegals? The suburbs haven't been hit so much, but they are getting very expensive as well. But yeah you might as well just move to the NY suburbs, probably not much different in that regard.
I was taking issue with the term "third world", which is regarded as offensive by many. "Developing world" is the preferred (and more accurate) term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 08:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Since you're not Irish, why is it so important that you are around other "Irish" people? Is that just code for white?

Old 07-21-2020, 09:02 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Really??? I've heard that complaint a thousand times over by people from East Boston, Somerville, Revere, Everett, etc....all those places that have been most inundated with illegals over the last 10-20 years. Obviously it's not much of an issue in West Roxbury. Or Newton for that matter, where they are quite content with them not "moving in" to bring their precious test scores down, yet shipped in to mow their lawns and work the restaurants that their precious little brats are too "good" to work at after school. Perfect world there.
To be fair, the people I know of in those places are probably and entirely different demographic than the folks you know.

I know a young white professional from West Hartford CT who moved to Eastie after we graduated

I know a middle class black American from Foxxboro who moved to Chelsea after he got hired by Shawmut construction.

I know an African American man from Syracuse NY who moved to Revere Beach luxury condos. He workS for Simon Properties. No complaints

I know a Jamaican American family who moved to Lynn from Paterson NJ.

I know a Jamaican American born in Miami who moved to Lynn at age 7. He’s one of my good friends, lives here in Maryland now. When we talk about Lynn he does not disparage illegals.

I knew a Dominican American woman born in Lynn (1994) who went to college with me. Lives in New Orleans now, never disparaged illegals.

I know a white coworker my age who moved to Chelsea from his native Hyde Park.

I just don’t hear it and I don’t see complaints in local papers like Item Live or the Globe also how does anyone who is illegal or not???

Old 07-21-2020, 09:03 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I was taking issue with the term "third world", which is regarded as offensive by many. "Developing world" is the preferred (and more accurate) term.

Six of one and half dozen of the other (although us Ma$$holes tend to keep it real and avoid the PC codespeak), but I agree that part was unnecessary (not necessarily "racist" though). But my point stands, in that MA and NH you will not find much difference.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Six of one and half dozen of the other (although us Ma$$holes tend to keep it real and avoid the PC codespeak), but I agree that part was unnecessary (not necessarily "racist" though). But my point stands, in that MA and NH you will not find much difference.
Is it really keeping it real to assume people are illegal when you literally have no way of knowing?

Statistically the odd are that 85%+ are legal immigrants.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
To be fair, the people I know of in those places are probably and entirely different demographic than the folks you know.

I know a young white professional from West Hartford CT who moved to Eastie after we graduated

I know a middle class black American from Foxxboro who moved to Chelsea after he got hired by Shawmut construction.

I know an African American man from Syracuse NY who moved to Revere Beach luxury condos. He workS for Simon Properties. No complaints

I know a Jamaican American family who moved to Lynn from Paterson NJ.

I know a Jamaican American born in Miami who moved to Lynn at age 7. He’s one of my good friends, lives here in Maryland now. When we talk about Lynn he does not disparage illegals.

I knew a Dominican American woman born in Lynn (1994) who went to college with me. Lives in New Orleans now, never disparaged illegals.

I know a white coworker my age who moved to Chelsea from his native Hyde Park.

I just don’t hear it and I don’t see complaints in local papers like Item Live or the Globe also how does anyone who is illegal or not???
I'm talking about people I know (or have spent significant time around) born and raised in those places. Of course a transplant isn't going to have the same reaction, because the "new" is all they know. Also, being unhappy with the negative effects of change their migration brought is not the same as "disparaging" illegals themselves.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is it really keeping it real to assume people are illegal when you literally have no way of knowing?

Statistically the odd are that 85%+ are legal immigrants.
Nope, although I get that many do incorrectly make that assumption.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
But if your problem is with illegals from third world countries.. how do you even know if they are illegal? Your obviously just stereotyping here.

It wasn't too long ago Irish folk were coming over using dead peoples social security cards and working in Boston (~2013-2015). We never hear anyone complain about that. Ireland sure the hell isn't a third world nation. So why characterize third world nation's as the problem? Is it because they are mostly non white?

Sure there may be a few illegal immigrants, working in Massachusetts to try to help out food on their table. But the only thing that is propelling crime is systematic raciam. Until you fix it youll be back to square one.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
Lots of red flags in the original post. Don't feed it.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about people I know (or have spent significant time around) born and raised in those places. Of course a transplant isn't going to have the same reaction, because the "new" is all they know. Also, being unhappy with the negative effects of change their migration brought is not the same as "disparaging" illegals themselves.
Negative effects? Aren’t all the towns you listed objectively better in every single way than what they were in 2000? if you can collect two or three data points that prove that’s not the case then OK we can talk.

So far as I know compared to 1995 or 2000 crime is lower in Lynn, Somerville, Chelsea.

Home Values are up.

School test scores are up.

Residential infill and new restaurants are abundant..

What’s the negative effect? Gentrification? Don’t almost all the old timers up there own their homes? Don’t they eventually sell for a big cash out and move to warmer states? Seriously, correct me if I’m wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts