Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 01:00 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Im not seeing a whole lot for sale or recently sold at a million in woburn:

https://www.zillow.com/woburn-ma/sol...oom%22%3A13%7D

Values have certainly increased there as well though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 02:37 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Woburn has a wide range of neighborhoods that stretch from tony Winchester and Lexington and getting expensive Reading, Stoneham and Burlington. You'll see prices all over the place.

As for million plus - there are two houses here in Burlington on the market for $1.9. Realtor and Zillow both have my "Grand Cape" with numbers in the mid $800's.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:58 PM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't know a whole lot about Billerica to be honest, but it looks like it's 40 min to Boston with B+ schools on niche. One thing that people will move further out for is a nice home with space. The house posted above is a nice house. Not too long ago you could get a house like this in Billerica for 500 something. Now i guess it's $865,000.
Biden got 54.1% votes in Billerica in 2020, among the lowest of all towns in Middlesex County.
(Cambridge 92%, Lexington 81.8%, Belmont 78.4%, Winchester 70.6%, Lowell 65.8%, Stoneham 60.8%, Tewksbury 52%)

It is interesting that richer towns are more liberal in Middlesex, but the same is not true once you cross the county boundary of Essex. Biden only got 50.6% votes in Lynnfield.

Not to stir a political fight but to observe the demographics.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:42 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Biden got 54.1% votes in Billerica in 2020, among the lowest of all towns in Middlesex County.
(Cambridge 92%, Lexington 81.8%, Belmont 78.4%, Winchester 70.6%, Lowell 65.8%, Stoneham 60.8%, Tewksbury 52%)

It is interesting that richer towns are more liberal in Middlesex, but the same is not true once you cross the county boundary of Essex. Biden only got 50.6% votes in Lynnfield.

Not to stir a political fight but to observe the demographics.
Yep lots of Trump supporters in Billerica. I see a lot of Trump flags there.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:50 AM

181 posts, read 124,568 times
I have lurked on this forum for a while and decided to make an account to share my experience re: buying a house in billerica.

my wife and I are ~30 years old. I grew up in one of the "W" towns in metrowest. my wife is from a similar town. we make good money working downtown, we are DINKs (not for long) in the ~$250k total income range. For the 8 years after graduation we mostly rented in the city.

both our jobs have commutes into the northside of downtown (tho we still work remote now), and both our parents now live in metrowest and northwest (think maynard and southern NH areas). So when we started looking for a house we were looking west & northwest of the city.

we do save a lot, so take this with a grain of salt, but even with our incomes we found there were very few towns we could afford that offered these qualities: nice quiet suburban neighborhoods with larger lots, 30 min from the city, easy access to commuter rail(s!), decent public schools (A- on niche for the district).

Billerica was literally the only town inside of 495 where we found we were hitting all of these areas at a price we could afford and a house that wasn't a dump.

we bought a house in fall 2021.

our new neighbors are incredibly friendly. they are in awe of our ability to work from home. most of them are contractors or run their own service business. there are young kids all over the neighborhood now that it's getting nicer out. Obviously there are distinct neighborhoods in Billerica, so YMMV, but this environment feels no different than my experience growing up in metrowest. very excited to start a family here.

tbh i think the fascination with the perceived politics of this town is what is keeping it so cheap, so i thank everyone for carrying that stereotype forward. our pocketbooks thank you immensely. i don't think it will remain that way for long.

Last edited by bricka; 04-21-2022 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 08:45 AM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
I have lurked on this forum for a while and decided to make an account to share my experience re: buying a house in billerica.

my wife and I are ~30 years old. I grew up in one of the "W" towns in metrowest. my wife is from a similar town. we make good money working downtown, we are DINKs (not for long) in the ~$250k total income range. For the 8 years after graduation we mostly rented in the city.

both our jobs have commutes into the northside of downtown (tho we still work remote now), and both our parents now live in metrowest and northwest (think maynard and southern NH areas). So when we started looking for a house we were looking west & northwest of the city.

we do save a lot, so take this with a grain of salt, but even with our incomes we found there were very few towns we could afford that offered these qualities: nice quiet suburban neighborhoods with larger lots, 30 min from the city, easy access to commuter rail(s!), decent public schools (A- on niche for the district).

Billerica was literally the only town inside of 495 where we found we were hitting all of these areas at a price we could afford and a house that wasn't a dump.

our new neighbors are incredibly friendly. they are in awe of our ability to work from home. most of them are contractors or run their own service business. there are young kids all over the neighborhood now that it's getting nicer out. Obviously there are distinct neighborhoods in Billerica, so YMMV, but this environment feels no different than my experience growing up in metrowest. very excited to start a family here.

tbh i think the fascination with the perceived politics of this town is what is keeping it so cheap, so i thank everyone for carrying that stereotype forward. our pocketbooks thank you immensely. i don't think it will remain that way for long.
Good for you.
I think what truly holds Billerica back is the mediocre ranking of schools. Many people don't really care about politics, but want their kids to attend good schools. However, with the "gentrification" and the influx of high tech professionals, including immigrants, the schools will improve fast.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:47 AM

17 posts, read 11,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post

We are having the same struggles looking for a home right now and we have a lot of the same wish list as you. We are a similar age (late 20s). It's been getting really tough to afford a home around this area for us. We are also dual income, no kids. It's been really hard to imagine trying to afford a mortgage and the potential of paying for daycare on top of that.

Billierica wasn't on our list of town we were looking at but i've now added that into our search radius. We are in Chelmsford now and it seems like there is some weird rivalry going on between the towns. We aren't originally from this area so we tend not to get too invested in this chatter. Ultimately, we just want a nice safe town, good commutes and easy access to the city.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Good for you.
I think what truly holds Billerica back is the mediocre ranking of schools. Many people don't really care about politics, but want their kids to attend good schools. However, with the "gentrification" and the influx of high tech professionals, including immigrants, the schools will improve fast.

Yes I agree it is mostly the schools.

I've heard stories of the old high school building.

The new one on the other hand...

Old 05-07-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightey3s View Post
We are having the same struggles looking for a home right now and we have a lot of the same wish list as you. We are a similar age (late 20s). It's been getting really tough to afford a home around this area for us. We are also dual income, no kids. It's been really hard to imagine trying to afford a mortgage and the potential of paying for daycare on top of that.

Billierica wasn't on our list of town we were looking at but i've now added that into our search radius. We are in Chelmsford now and it seems like there is some weird rivalry going on between the towns. We aren't originally from this area so we tend not to get too invested in this chatter. Ultimately, we just want a nice safe town, good commutes and easy access to the city.

Come to Billerica!

It's closer to Boston than Chelmsford.

Commuter rail (Chelmsford Commuters actually use the North Billerica station )

The town prides itself on being very safe.

As MtPleasantDream said above - the schools have been considered lesser than Chelmsford. But I honestly think this is changing.

The new high school is gorgeous and at the very least shows that the town has prioritized the schools.

I think the influx of Asian population that work along the 128 belt will have the effect it did on Lexington.

Last edited by bricka; 05-07-2022 at 05:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2022, 10:05 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Dystopian times we live in where folks with a quarter million annual HH income had to search far and wide to ultimately land in Billerica! Wow! The rest of us are more than a little doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts