Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2024, 07:50 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Lost in all of this is the fact that Mac seems to just be "not a nice guy". He's known around the league for dirty plays, beyond his own prima donna image in the Pats' locker room. Seems like quite an ego for a guy who hasn't done much in the league. Zappe seems much more humble and in the mold of the "Patriots' Way".
I've seen several reports that he wasn't widely liked or respected in the locker room. Having an attitude and an ego is not great no matter what, but it's even worse when you're not backing it up with good performance on the field. To me, the bold seemed to be on display when he was under center. He was not more talented, but the players seemed to perform better with him at QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 09:22 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Lost in all of this is the fact that Mac seems to just be "not a nice guy". He's known around the league for dirty plays, beyond his own prima donna image in the Pats' locker room. Seems like quite an ego for a guy who hasn't done much in the league. Zappe seems much more humble and in the mold of the "Patriots' Way".
I don't have that impression. Yes, I know there have been some reports from inside the Pats locker room - but I've seen multiple Patriots beat reporters comment on it and say they haven't heard that, so it could be one or two players badmouthing Mac.

At least publicly - where we're not reading the tea leaves, I saw Zappe asked multiple times on camera if he supported Mac when Mac was on the field, and he never said "Yes", he just dodged the question each time. That is *not* a team player, that is a pure rival.

My impression based on comments from coach Mayo, has been that there is some division in the locker room, and some players were aligned with Mac, and some with Zappe.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't have that impression. Yes, I know there have been some reports from inside the Pats locker room - but I've seen multiple Patriots beat reporters comment on it and say they haven't heard that, so it could be one or two players badmouthing Mac.

At least publicly - where we're not reading the tea leaves, I saw Zappe asked multiple times on camera if he supported Mac when Mac was on the field, and he never said "Yes", he just dodged the question each time. That is *not* a team player, that is a pure rival.

My impression based on comments from coach Mayo, has been that there is some division in the locker room, and some players were aligned with Mac, and some with Zappe.
Seems like there was a general offense vs. defense divide as well (Globe paywall). Understandable considering the difference in production the past couple of seasons. Regardless of what the situation actually was, any divide in the locker room spells trouble. Even if it's not entirely Mac's fault, he's the default target number 1 when it comes time to make changes simply because of the starting QB's role and significance.

I'm not sure how much (if anything) to believe from the reports about Mac's attitude and likeability. I didn't love what I saw on the sideline and I'm fully aware I have a bias against him, so I'm inclined to believe that he wasn't exceedingly popular. But I don't have any actual insight and either way, it seems like the best scenario of everyone involved is for Mac to have a change of scenery.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Seems like there was a general offense vs. defense divide as well (Globe paywall). Understandable considering the difference in production the past couple of seasons. Regardless of what the situation actually was, any divide in the locker room spells trouble. Even if it's not entirely Mac's fault, he's the default target number 1 when it comes time to make changes simply because of the starting QB's role and significance.

I'm not sure how much (if anything) to believe from the reports about Mac's attitude and likeability. I didn't love what I saw on the sideline and I'm fully aware I have a bias against him, so I'm inclined to believe that he wasn't exceedingly popular. But I don't have any actual insight and either way, it seems like the best scenario of everyone involved is for Mac to have a change of scenery.
I am a lot more sympathetic to Mac. However, I realize that many if not most players had lost confidence in him last season, plus, he appeared to have a kind of PTSD here from being run over by free pass rushers too many times. So I agree that it's best for all for him to get a new start somewhere else. Hopefully the Pats will get someone with the raw material to be a great QB in the '24 draft, and develop him properly too.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am a lot more sympathetic to Mac. However, I realize that many if not most players had lost confidence in him last season, plus, he appeared to have a kind of PTSD here from being run over by free pass rushers too many times. So I agree that it's best for all for him to get a new start somewhere else. Hopefully the Pats will get someone with the raw material to be a great QB in the '24 draft, and develop him properly too.
Agreed. It seems like Mayo is aiming to be a player's coach, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm of the mind that, in the long run, the sting of Belichick's last few years here will become something of an afterthought and the focus will be on the 2 decades of success. But if Mac goes somewhere else and has a long, successful NFL career (let alone a championship run), I think it may leave lingering stain on Bill's legacy.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:13 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
ST Matthew Slater Announced his retirement:
https://www.patriots.com/news/patrio...r-s-retirement
Thanks for the memories. Always loved his leadership.

Also retiring is OL James Ferentz:
https://www.patriots.com/news/james-...ces-retirement
Good luck, man.

I get it. It was time for these guys and the team’s rebooting. I imagine changes will keep coming and it’s time to move on from familiar faces.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
ST Matthew Slater Announced his retirement:
https://www.patriots.com/news/patrio...r-s-retirement
Thanks for the memories. Always loved his leadership.

Also retiring is OL James Ferentz:
https://www.patriots.com/news/james-...ces-retirement
Good luck, man.

I get it. It was time for these guys and the team’s rebooting. I imagine changes will keep coming and it’s time to move on from familiar faces.
Yes, this is a sea change, Stephen Belichick went to coach at the University of Washington
https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ources-confirm

and Trent Brown went into free agency
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...contract-void/

though Brian Belichick is staying on at Safeties Coach
https://nesn.com/2024/02/why-patriot...er-assistants/

Troy Brown was replaced as wide receivers coach, but is expected to remain with the team
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...ng-troy-brown/

Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
And Belichick himself is gonna "advise" the Nebraska football team this spring. Wonder why that didn't make bigger headlines.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I still think lrfox’s kidneys are in jeopardy. Mac Jones is the likely week 1 starting quarterback since it’s now such a short preseason. It’s unlikely a rookie quarterback in a brand new offensive system will be ready to go.
My kidneys might be safe after all: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-jones-jaguars

Old 03-10-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My kidneys might be safe after all: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-jones-jaguars
Yes, Mac is reportedly bound for Jacksonville - I'll wish him well. I don't know if they're planning on keeping Zappe, but I do hope they draft a QB in round 1 of the draft next month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts