Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,327,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Millennials are also aging out of cities. There no big generation to cause the type of gentrification we saw the last 15 years. Help is not on the way. I was saying that much 2/3/4 years ago on here.

International migration, which has typically helped drive people into Boston, slowed considerably last year. The county gained fewer than 3,000 residents who moved from another country. That number was 11,678 in 2017, Strate said, before the Trump administration’s more rigid immigration policies and the pandemic helped stanch the flow of people into the United States.

Strate said high housing costs could also be driving people out of Boston, as well as the flexibility many white-collar workers gained during the pandemic to work remotely. In some cases, she said, the millennials who once flocked to Boston a decade ago could now be “entering a different life phase,” in which they’re starting families and seeking the extra room and cheaper housing suburban and rural communities offer.

MA as a whole lost 38k people while growing in far southeastern MA. NH gained 11,000 people
There’s also what Strate called the potential “head for the hills effect” brought on by the pandemic.

Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Martha’s Vineyard — popular destinations for people’s second seasonal or vacation homes — saw the biggest percentage gains in population in Massachusetts. And while New Hampshire saw more deaths than births, every county around the state saw more people move in than out, helping grow the state’s population by more than 11,000 people.

Dropping population, rising rents? MA housing market is broken and obviously needs development in the suburbs that is affordable and nearer to Boston.
I think the Millennial aging out of cities aspect is little more than noise. There's Millennials in every city, so if it was a driving factor, there'd be a net negative migration in every city. They're not all suddenly packing up and moving out to rural Kansas, and if these numbers reflect MSAs rather than downtowns/city boundaries as stated, the vast majority are migrating from one MSA to another.

Strate is correct -- it's the cost backed by additional WFH flexibility allowing for less commute dependence. There's pockets of migration based on politics here and lifestyle change there, but the gorilla in the room has been and continues to be cost. Looking for other causes is tilting at windmills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 07:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,132,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What exactly does 'work the lab space' even mean? I work at a medical school and people have been back working in labs since 2020. They were the first ones back.
The sciences continue to grow and there is a significant amount of new lab space being built. It is the new hot commercial real estate tenant.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:37 AM

16,510 posts, read 8,288,980 times
I will note that the population increase on places like Cape Cod, Nantucket, and MV were in many cases homes being bought by well off people already living in the Boston area. I don't know why 2020/2021 became the year of let's buy a second home! but it was.

I think many people used to make Boston their home once upon moving here or going to college here but I think it's more and more becoming an NYC turn style place for many. People move here for jobs, to get experience and they don't necessarily stay. It seems like people making the big money decide to stay and raise families (and settle down in wellesley, lincoln, newton, etc)...but many of the more 'average income people' are taking the job experience they've received here and go somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 1,789,806 times
Quote:
What exactly does 'work the lab space' even mean? I work at a medical school and people have been back working in labs since 2020. They were the first ones back.
Basically any new office construction project that was proposed before the pandemic started is being changed to be lab space plus existing office space is being converted. There's apparently enough demand that they are having little difficulty finding tenants too.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:15 AM

21,700 posts, read 12,842,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
This is true but I think you will see a reversal with the 2022 numbers. Think of all that lab space being built... someone's going to have to go in 5 days a week to work it.
I doubt it will be enough to reverse the losses. People moved and many won’t be able to afford to move back, not a ton of people who went WFH will be in 5 days a week. Labs aren’t as labor intensive as offices. The dispersion of high paying tech salaries to other cities…

Old 03-25-2022, 08:16 AM

23,680 posts, read 18,791,513 times
Quote:
I think many people used to make Boston their home once upon moving here or going to college here but I think it's more and more becoming an NYC turn style place for many. People move here for jobs, to get experience and they don't necessarily stay. It seems like people making the big money decide to stay and raise families (and settle down in wellesley, lincoln, newton, etc)...but many of the more 'average income people' are taking the job experience they've received here and go somewhere else.

I've noticed this as well.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:17 AM

21,700 posts, read 12,842,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think the Millennial aging out of cities aspect is little more than noise. There's Millennials in every city, so if it was a driving factor, there'd be a net negative migration in every city. They're not all suddenly packing up and moving out to rural Kansas, and if these numbers reflect MSAs rather than downtowns/city boundaries as stated, the vast majority are migrating from one MSA to another.

Strate is correct -- it's the cost backed by additional WFH flexibility allowing for less commute dependence. There's pockets of migration based on politics here and lifestyle change there, but the gorilla in the room has been and continues to be cost. Looking for other causes is tilting at windmills.
I don’t think that’s noise. It makes logical sense. Millenials will move from urban cities hostile to families to suburban style cities less hostile to families ( a la Nashville).

Old 03-25-2022, 08:30 AM

16,510 posts, read 8,288,980 times
People will always be moving to Boston for jobs. That isn't going to change. But there will always be people leaving as well.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 AM

23,680 posts, read 18,791,513 times
Quote:
People will always be moving to Boston for jobs. That isn't going to change. But there will always be people leaving as well.

Until the jobs stop coming to Boston because there are no workers left to fill them.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:35 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,327,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t think that’s noise. It makes logical sense. Millenials will move from urban cities hostile to families to suburban style cities less hostile to families ( a la Nashville).
That's not a city thing. What makes a place a city and what makes a place hostile to families aren't related or dependent on another. There's also rural and suburban areas hostile to families.

What you should pinpoint and call out is what that hostility is. Is it cost of living? Then the problem is cost, not being a city. Is it poor schools? Then the problem is poor schools, not being a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts