Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2023, 08:05 PM

31 posts, read 56,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
A lot of them are immigrants working in high tech fields or academia.
Good education is probably the best investment they can find. They don’t have social resources and don’t believe in pursuing interests or developing leadership etc.

Americans don’t “have to” follow that.
If you really believe that this is true, take a stab at explaining why there're so many startups in wide array of industries that are founded by 1st/2nd generation immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 09:02 PM

88 posts, read 52,288 times
Quote:
Good education is probably the best investment they can find. They don’t have social resources and don’t believe in pursuing interests or developing leadership etc.

What an awful general statement!!! You literally live in a town where north of 50% (I don't have any stats,,, # likely >75%) of all leaders of Pharma, Biotechs, and startups are immigrants (directors, VPs, CSOs, CEOs). And what is with the use of the word "immigrants"!!! Are not everyone in the US immigrants anyway? Unless you are a native! Which I highly doubt.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:14 PM

843 posts, read 551,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy781 View Post
If you really believe that this is true, take a stab at explaining why there're so many startups in wide array of industries that are founded by 1st/2nd generation immigrants?
Because the 2nd generation don’t always grow up the way their parents planned.
And they run startups thanks to their parents’ tech aptitude, both genetic and cultural.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:17 PM

843 posts, read 551,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
What an awful general statement!!! You literally live in a town where north of 50% (I don't have any stats,,, # likely >75%) of all leaders of Pharma, Biotechs, and startups are immigrants (directors, VPs, CSOs, CEOs). And what is with the use of the word "immigrants"!!! Are not everyone in the US immigrants anyway? Unless you are a native! Which I highly doubt.
I was simply stating a fact, and there is no judgement in terms of right or wrong.
If you check the demographics of Lexington you understand what I say.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:29 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,508 times
Quote:

College degrees are loosing value. We are at a point where you either super specialize, i.e., get a PhD/DM or you're better off without a degree. We have an oversupply of folks with a BS and shortage of folks in trades. I just hired a plumber and electrician and paid them $2500 in labor for barely 1.5 days of work in a Boston condo. What was interesting is that all this time their phone never stopped ringing.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:48 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,730,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Those are called helicopter parents.
Do you have kids?

Old 04-21-2023, 01:49 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,730,097 times
Quote:

Are these "immigrants" not Americans?

Old 04-21-2023, 06:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Agree. I personally think people just put too much emphasis on school ratings in MA. There's more to it than just putting your kid in a top 10 school and thinking you don't have to do anything else.
100% agree. Parents still need to do their part. Same goes for private schools. Just because you’re writing checks doesn’t mean a large part of your kids educational outcome isn’t still up to you.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:39 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You're really reading into what I said. For the record I do know people who moved to a good school district and didn't do much else than that for the kids education.
How are the kids doing?

Old 04-21-2023, 07:40 AM

16,315 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
How are the kids doing?
Honestly I am shocked by some of the kids behavior and I don't get the impression they are particularly smart. Lots of sitting on the phone, swearing, bratty, entitled behavior. And some of these kids are in private school, not just top public schools. Many of them have parents who own businesses who will probably work for them someday, they don't really even need the superior education they are getting. Hopefully they end up being decent people.

The kids who are helicoptered and have the parents do everything for them seem to the be ones who can't do anything themselves.

Parenting is not easy. Perhaps there are people out there who think the main ingredients are top education and an endless supply of money. Those things can't change someone's personality it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts