Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2023, 02:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I've mentioned this before, but specifically condos and TH in Metrowest got crushed. High end, low end, didn't matter.

SFH did OK although prices did decline a bit for awhile. But that was without the kind of FOMO that's happening today. I could easily see a 10% decline end up being 20, 30% for people because they grossly overpaid.
This is definitely happening in the SF Bay Area with all the tech job losses. “Overpaid” is in hindsight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 02:55 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh1988 View Post
I'm very new to corporate america,,, so take this with a grain of salt,,, but I witnessed two layoffs in the last two years,,, in both cases,,, friends/colleagues were laid off, and in both cases, each received a very generous package that will last minimum 6 months,,, each also received the annual bonus. Is not this the case with almost every company? Maybe excluding startups.
Only the top 5% or less get a nice package like that. Of course everyone in this forum is a top 1% earner so the responses will be skewed. The average person gets close to nothing.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:32 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Don't people get unemployment as well? I mean job loss is bad, but many people have a working spouse to help out plus severance/unemployment. I think the real PITA of getting laid off is looking for another job (however many people seem to have jobs falling out of the sky to them) or figuring out what to do next.

I could see it being bad for people if they have just one working parent, several kids, pricey mortgage.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:43 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Don't people get unemployment as well? I mean job loss is bad, but many people have a working spouse to help out plus severance/unemployment. I think the real PITA of getting laid off is looking for another job (however many people seem to have jobs falling out of the sky to them) or figuring out what to do next.

I could see it being bad for people if they have just one working parent, several kids, pricey mortgage.
With the housing prices where they are at and the size of the mortgages people are taking out, it seems that two incomes are required in many cases. Without that emergency fund, even if one spouse is still working they may not have enough for mortgage, car payments, and all the other expenses. Take that $1 mil house where folks took out an $800K mortgage.....if you had two six figure people supporting that and then one is laid off and collecting unemployment (which is not the full weekly salary amount that they were getting), will they be able to stay afloat?

Old 03-26-2023, 03:49 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
With the housing prices where they are at and the size of the mortgages people are taking out, it seems that two incomes are required in many cases. Without that emergency fund, even if one spouse is still working they may not have enough for mortgage, car payments, and all the other expenses. Take that $1 mil house where folks took out an $800K mortgage.....if you had two six figure people supporting that and then one is laid off and collecting unemployment (which is not the full weekly salary amount that they were getting), will they be able to stay afloat?
You don't think severance and unemployment money would help out for a while?

I haven't been paying attention to what people put down or have for a mortgage, but it does seem like most people in the area have fairly well paying jobs that they apparently think are pretty secure to have the lifestyle that they do.

People have been talking about a recession for a while. I don't foresee Boston being hit that hard by it...but I'd be curious to see what happens if we are. I can think of a few people I'd love to see have a piece of humble pie. I just don't think will happen. Wealthy people aren't affected by recessions.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You don't think severance and unemployment money would help out for a while?

I haven't been paying attention to what people put down or have for a mortgage, but it does seem like most people in the area have fairly well paying jobs that they apparently think are pretty secure to have the lifestyle that they do.
I guess it would depend on what they got for severance. If it was a generous 6 month plus bonus package I guess they'd be ok. However, does anyone really ever know what their employers will provide in terms of severance package until a lay off actually happens? I know I've never asked about that during the hiring process. lol I also tend to be more risk averse (always make sure to have at least 1+ yr worth of full living expenses so in other words I could technically quit my job tomorrow and still pay all my bills, buy what I normally buy without having to cut anything for a full yr+ before I had to be too concerned about making sure I had some other employment lined up).

Old 03-26-2023, 05:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Max unemployment is MA is $1015/week. If you’re grossing $3000/week, it’s a huge drop. That benefit has to have taxes paid on it so let’s say $800/week.

In MA, you cannot collect unemployment if a severance was paid.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:07 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In MA, you cannot collect unemployment if a severance was paid.
That's not true.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:10 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
How about this place in Eastham. I think this is the biggest spread % from initial asking price to where it is now that I've seen so far. Originally put on the market at $2M in May, it's down to 1.3M.

It's pretty gaudy.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Eastham/18...home/132098289

Old 03-26-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
How about this place in Eastham. I think this is the biggest spread % from initial asking price to where it is now that I've seen so far. Originally put on the market at $2M in May, it's down to 1.3M.

It's pretty gaudy.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Eastham/18...home/132098289
Yuck, look at all that speckled floor tile! Maybe if they price it at $600-700K someone would buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts