Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2023, 06:42 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Wow, looks like a multifamily or some sort of condo complex that you'd see someplace like Fitchburg or Weymouth.
I was thinking an addition gone wrong perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 11:00 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Too many (or too few) windows and they're spaced weird. Looks like a dump from the outside, IMO.
That one random small window.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Realistically no one cares about any of this.

There aren’t any more people looking to move because either you’ve got a 2.5% mortgage you can’t leave or you’re renting and prices are sky high AND mortgage rates are in the 7s so even “starter” homes are unaffordable. Everyone is basically stuck where they are until something changed.

I’m not an economist, but I would have guessed the prices would have fallen with increasing mortgage costs. At least for now but the opposite seems to have happened. It’s insane.
Areas of the country that aren’t completely built out and with weaker economies are behaving differently.

It’s really expensive to build in Massachusetts compared to many other parts of the country. Labor costs are much higher. You have to meet energy building code. You need a real foundation. Zoning has frontage, lot size, and setback requirements that make lots expensive. Land is cheaper where I am 60 miles south of Boston but you’d still be hard pressed to build a 2,000 sf builder grade house for less than $750k. With 7%+ mortgage rates, the local economy won’t support it so new construction is mostly higher end homes that aren’t being paid for with W-2 money. With no supply of new construction, prices of existing homes keep going up since there is no inventory.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:12 AM

257 posts, read 258,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Areas of the country that aren’t completely built out and with weaker economies are behaving differently.

It’s really expensive to build in Massachusetts compared to many other parts of the country. Labor costs are much higher. You have to meet energy building code. You need a real foundation. Zoning has frontage, lot size, and setback requirements that make lots expensive. Land is cheaper where I am 60 miles south of Boston but you’d still be hard pressed to build a 2,000 sf builder grade house for less than $750k. With 7%+ mortgage rates, the local economy won’t support it so new construction is mostly higher end homes that aren’t being paid for with W-2 money. With no supply of new construction, prices of existing homes keep going up since there is no inventory.
My uncle is building a small house in Western Mass, and the cost of the environmental requirements is astounding. Regulations that looks great on paper have real-world consequences. For instance, he is required to install an electric vehicle charging station, despite not having an electric car. My neighbor's house burned down earlier this year and I can't imagine what it is costing to rebuild a house of a similar size.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:19 AM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
My uncle is building a small house in Western Mass, and the cost of the environmental requirements is astounding. Regulations that looks great on paper have real-world consequences. For instance, he is required to install an electric vehicle charging station, despite not having an electric car. My neighbor's house burned down earlier this year and I can't imagine what it is costing to rebuild a house of a similar size.
What?? So does every new house that gets build need an EV charging station?

It's become stupid and it seems like the builders and suppliers of materials are partially to blame for this as well.

It seems like people keep complaining about costs but everyone keeps buying/building.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:20 AM

257 posts, read 258,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What?? So does every new house that gets build need an EV charging station?

It's become stupid and it seems like the builders and suppliers of materials are partially to blame for this as well.

It seems like people keep complaining about costs but everyone keeps buying/building.
Yeah isn't that incredible? My uncle isn't a rich guy, this is supposed to be his retirement house and these costs are killing his budget.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:27 AM

Default re

Quote:
Yeah isn't that incredible? My uncle isn't a rich guy, this is supposed to be his retirement house and these costs are killing his budget.
That seems awful. I can't imagine why someone who doesn't have an EV should be building a home that has one. Sad times.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Looks like that's just Northampton. That's a pretty hippie place, isn't it? Maybe he should have built in some other town?

Does seem like Heat Pumps are somewhat popular with new construction. But that might be more developers cheapening out than any FF mandates.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Looks like that's just Northampton. That's a pretty hippie place, isn't it? Maybe he should have built in some other town?

Does seem like Heat Pumps are somewhat popular with new construction. But that might be more developers cheapening out than any FF mandates.
I think in general the cost to do ANYTHING to your home is just very expensive these days. There are no deals to be had...you don't get a better deal by adding on an addition or renovating, you don't get a better deal by building new, and you don't get a better deal by buying a house that has been there since the 1800's. Deals are done as far as home ownership goes.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:40 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think in general the cost to do ANYTHING to your home is just very expensive these days. There are no deals to be had...you don't get a better deal by adding on an addition or renovating, you don't get a better deal by building new, and you don't get a better deal by buying a house that has been there since the 1800's. Deals are done as far as home ownership goes.
We will be mostly a nation of renters at the rate this is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts