Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 12:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I have crap for groceries in my area. I typically go to Stop and Shop, because it's "there" and it meets most of my day to day needs. Occasionally I'll drive out of my way to either Wegman's or Market Basket and where they have better prices and/or variety, but that's maybe once or twice a month when I happen to be in one of those areas for some other reason. And while I'll make a point of "stocking up" on those trips, still probably 80% of my groceries are bought at mediocre S&S because "convenience" is such a huge factor for most of us (in other words, there's a pretty low tolerance for how far we'll go out of our way for these day to day food needs). These "stock up trips" aren't going to keep the place in business, especially a place like Wegman's where much of their profit comes from the prepared/to go items (that's where they "get" you").
Yeah, but if you were close to Wegman's probably you would just go there every time. Those are the people I was talking about. I don't have grocery stores close by so I go to the most convenient but if I were in a more urban area I would probably do my weekly grocery shopping in the one I think is best (for me) rather than the one that is simply closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 12:42 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
The produce at Wegman's isn't much different than Trader Joe's or Market Basket IMO, just more expensive. Whole Foods is even more expensive.

Trader Joe's? Produce??? It's a little higher than MB (although generally better variety especially on the organic side), while things like their organic line are significantly less than both WF and S&S. And MUCH fresher than S&S.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:50 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Parking and getting to/from the car at Natick was always a pain. And that's to say nothing of navigating in/out of the mall. That level of difficulty may be tolerated (expected even) at an urban store, but it's tough to compete in the suburbs when most nearby supermarkets have standard parking lots with easy in/out access. I love Wegmans, but if I've needed a supermarket in that area, I'd go to Roche or Stop and Shop just because it's less work.
Agreed. I remember getting lost there back before GPS and smart phones were common. It was a nightmare trying to even get into the mall parking lot. I missed a turn once and had to drive 2 miles just to make a U turn. It was also a nightmare going anywhere in that area like Jordan's Furniture or the all you can eat sushi restaurant.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Yeah, but if you were close to Wegman's probably you would just go there every time. Those are the people I was talking about. I don't have grocery stores close by so I go to the most convenient but if I were in a more urban area I would probably do my weekly grocery shopping in the one I think is best (for me) rather than the one that is simply closer.

I don't really do "weekly trips". But if I was the sort of person who made one major shopping trip on the weekend, there's no way I would be going anywhere near the Natick Mall (unless I lived in one of those condos on site).

Old 06-05-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I remember getting lost there back before GPS and smart phones were common. It was a nightmare trying to even get into the mall parking lot. I missed a turn once and had to drive 2 miles just to make a U turn. It was also a nightmare going anywhere in that area like Jordan's Furniture or the all you can eat sushi restaurant.

My point. It's a PITA to get to from no matter where you live, that isn't one of the condos AT the mall.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:11 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
What do people like so much about Wegman's? The quality? The experience? The scenary?

In my 20's/early 30's I was kind of mesmerized by these swanky high end grocery stores...but I also don't like to overpay for things and I found that was often what was happening. Once you're home and you have the stuff put away, for me it really doesnt matter if it's Stop N shop, Big Y, Prevites, Roche Bros, Brothers, Fruit center whatever. There are times I might want some specialty items that a stop and shop wont have...but the selection at Big Y is pretty nice these days I've found. Maybe I should be pickier about the food I eat but I'll be honest in that I don't eat a ton of fruits and veggies meat or fish. I do a lot of tofu bowls with rice/quinoa. I try with veggies but i don't need wegmans I guess. Apparently people love it!

Old 06-05-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What do people like so much about Wegman's? The quality? The experience? The scenary?

In my 20's/early 30's I was kind of mesmerized by these swanky high end grocery stores...but I also don't like to overpay for things and I found that was often what was happening. Once you're home and you have the stuff put away, for me it really doesnt matter if it's Stop N shop, Big Y, Prevites, Roche Bros, Brothers, Fruit center whatever. There are times I might want some specialty items that a stop and shop wont have...but the selection at Big Y is pretty nice these days I've found. Maybe I should be pickier about the food I eat but I'll be honest in that I don't eat a ton of fruits and veggies meat or fish. I do a lot of tofu bowls with rice/quinoa. I try with veggies but i don't need wegmans I guess. Apparently people love it!

The thing about Wegman's, is they offer a good balance of both amazing variety as well as competitive pricing (on many items). Like the best of Roche Bros., Market Basket, and Whole Foods all combined. Of course YMMV, depending on what you typically buy. My biggest hangup on Wegman's, is probably the large size and that it usually takes a long time to get through.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:21 PM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
The produce at Wegman's isn't much different than Trader Joe's or Market Basket IMO, just more expensive. Whole Foods is even more expensive.
A lot of times the produce at Market Basket is not only cheaper but also better quality than at stores like Trader Joe's, Stop and Shop and Big Y. That's been my experience anyway. The big difference seems to be it's more annoying to shop at Market Basket because they're always so darn busy unless you go like right when they open. I went to the Wegman's in N'boro once to see what all the fuss was about and I don't get it. Didn't seem like anything spectacular to me. I'd pick Market Basket any day over Wegman's.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:46 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

What differentiates Wegman's from everyone else is the prepared food, the butchery, the seafood counter, and the cheese monger. You can get very high end items in that part of the store. Also, the in-house liquor store is really good.

But the rest of the store - the stuff most of us go to the grocery store for - is pretty much the same as everyone else and they seem to have less of a brand selection than some other stores.

Where I am in Burlington, I can get to the following in 15 minutes:

3 Market Baskets
Trader Joe's
Shaw's
Wegman's
H-Mart
McKinnon's.

95% of the time, it's Market Basket for me.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
A lot of times the produce at Market Basket is not only cheaper but also better quality than at stores like Trader Joe's, Stop and Shop and Big Y. That's been my experience anyway. The big difference seems to be it's more annoying to shop at Market Basket because they're always so darn busy unless you go like right when they open. I went to the Wegman's in N'boro once to see what all the fuss was about and I don't get it. Didn't seem like anything spectacular to me. I'd pick Market Basket any day over Wegman's.
I have found that the produce seems to be better at some MB's than others. The one in Burlington is right on the Lexington line and they have a better selection of and seemingly fresher produce. I think it's a combination of disposable income and an Asian demographic from Lexington that drives that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts