Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 08:18 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This just popped up. Good to see people "betting" on downtown Brockton, but can't say I'm not skeptical about this. Think it will succeed?

'It's a place found in a fairytale': Luxury hall and bar opens in downtown Brockton

https://www.enterprisenews.com/story...n/70295565007/
The article seemed to really focus on the functions side of the business rather than the bar, restaurant, and lounge which is what would do a lot more to generate life in the area. I'm sure the functions side of things will work fine - there's a large, established Haitian community in the Brockton area that will appreciate a Haitian-owned and themed space. It also looks like a nice space, so it should also have appeal outside of the Haitian community as well. The bigger question is whether or not the restaurant/bar/lounge side of things can survive. I've seen several beautiful "restaurant, bar, lounge" spaces in gateway cities shift to functions only when they can't attract the volume to sustain the former (Cotali Mar in New Bedford, The Eagle in Fall River, Abbey Grill in Fall River, etc.). And, at least via the article, I don't get the impression that this restaurant/bar/lounge has a real identity apart from being related to the function space. That's important if you want it to survive.

I've never been too optimistic about Brockton. The downtown area was more gutted than peers like Lowell, New Bedford, Haverhill, etc. It also doesn't have natural assets like Lowell's canals, New Bedford's harbor or Fall River's waterfront. It's biggest asset (and one that shouldn't be undervalued) is proximity to Boston and 3 commuter rail stations in town (inc. one right downtown). It's seen some real private investment in recent years. There are several brand new apartment buildings downtown that have filled in some of the vacant lots that were there before. It seems like the retail spaces appear to be filling in as well. We visited Brockton Beer Company not that long ago and it was really good. It was very busy. I hope Ann's Place can draw similarly large crowds to the Bar/Restaurant/Lounge. Otherwise it's not going to do much to help generate foot traffic in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 08:34 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Derr. It's expensive and difficult to run a successful club and takes tons of experience.

But not here- she gives middle age mom first and foremost. Not a cool older club owner. Probably, because this is not a club.
Yeah. Lots of presumptions about things based on little more than appearances.

Edit based on your edits: What do I know about nightlife? Plenty. You know nothing about me, just like you know nothing about all the others you make presumptions about. None of your business where I go, I'm not your "bro."

Old 06-22-2023, 09:47 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yeah. Lots of presumptions about things based on little more than appearances.

Edit based on your edits: What do I know about nightlife? Plenty. You know nothing about me, just like you know nothing about all the others you make presumptions about. None of your business where I go, I'm not your "bro."
Say Bro, I asked you and gave you a chance to answer- so if you're too indignant and in your feelings to answer - I will assume you don't know because you don't go out. Certainly, not something you talk about. You can tell me where you go, I'm not gonna fly up there and beat you up lol.

First things first... I'll school you- when it comes to nightlife it's all about making presumptions based on appearances- that's how that works. That's why they keep those artificial lines outside the club and deny entry to some and admit others. It's all about the vibe and the look. Something your corny self wouldn't understand because you're inside. The owner is a part of that too if shes going to make herself visble she ought to do it without her small children. It doesn't look like the move on a Saturday night. Looks like a place for a Haitian-American Politician to hold a political fundraiser.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Say Bro, I asked you and gave you a chance to answer- so if you're too indignant and in your feelings to answer - I will assume you don't know because you don't go out. Certainly, not something you talk about. You can tell me where you go, I'm not gonna fly up there and beat you up lol.

First things first... I'll school you- when it comes to nightlife it's all about making presumptions based on appearances- that's how that works. That's why they keep those artificial lines outside the club and deny entry to some and admit others. It's all about the vibe and the look. Something your corny self wouldn't understand because you're inside. The owner is a part of that too if shes going to make herself visble she ought to do it without her small children. It doesn't look like the move on a Saturday night. Looks like a place for a Haitian-American Politician to hold a political fundraiser.
You can erroneously presume all you want (as you always do). The fact I don't tell you my life story doesn't add any validity to your presumptions. I'll add a presumption of my own: It's quite unlikely that I go out (or have gone out) to the same places as you. The rest of your drivel sounds like something a grade school student would spew. LMAO But this of course, is your hallmark.

Talking and behaving like you're still in high school doesn't stop you from aging, BTW. LMAO Everyone who doesn't share your world view of what you think is "cool" is outdated, corny or old. It may be that you're just immature for your advanced age. Carry on, bro. "Gee Wally, he's reaaal old, he;s like 38!" lol

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 06-22-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 11:40 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Derr. It's expensive and difficult to run a successful club and takes tons of experience.

But not here- she gives middle age mom first and foremost. Not a cool older club owner. Probably, because this is not a club.

Whereas Grace by Nia in Seaport- owend by Nia Grace, another middle age woman didn't go that route. But she didn't promote the venue with her three school-age kids and a Middle School fundraiser as akick off. She promoted it as an upscale live music venue 6 days a week. As a result she doesn't seem like a mom pursuing her passion- she seems like a experience club owener opening a club.

BUt what do you really know about nightlife and black nightlife at that... You go out bro, where do you go?
When I first read about the Grace by Nia concept I thought it was very cool...hope it does very well.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:56 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Looks like the now out of business western, MA tacky wedding halls like Chez Joseph and La Renaissance

Old 06-22-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You can erroneously presume all you want (as you always do). The fact I don't tell you my life story doesn't add any validity to your presumptions. I'll add a presumption of my own: It's quite unlikely that I go out (or have gone out) to the same places as you. The rest of your drivel sounds like something a grade school student would spew. LMAO But this of course, is your hallmark.

Talking and behaving like you're still in high school doesn't stop you from aging, BTW. LMAO Everyone who doesn't share your world view of what you think is "cool" is outdated, corny or old. It may be that you're just immature for your advanced age. Carry on, bro. "Gee Wally, he's reaaal old, he;s like 38!" lol
Being boring isn't a sign of maturity. Being corny is corn- that just what it is. if youre out of the loop youre out of the loop. IRL like off the internet people really think I'm like 40. Ive ben ettin called "Old Man ___" since like 19 always get called the old man. Kinda sucks. But I did join this site at age 18...

Old 06-22-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Being boring isn't a sign of maturity. Being corny is corn- that just what it is. if youre out of the loop youre out of the loop. IRL like off the internet people really think I'm like 40. Ive ben ettin called "Old Man ___" since like 19 always get called the old man. Kinda sucks. But I did join this site at age 18...
Clue: You don't have a monopoly on "the loop." In other words, your loop isn't the one and only loop. If you were as worldly as you seemingly think you are, you'd understand this. Myopia sucks.

Old 06-22-2023, 01:46 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Looks like only Blacks can talk about Night Clubs or even offer opinions , talk about stereotyping this may open up a whole kettle of fish.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Clue: You don't have a monopoly on "the loop." In other words, your loop isn't the one and only loop. If you were as worldly as you seemingly think you are, you'd understand this. Myopia sucks.
Youre out of the loop though. That's obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts