Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 07:38 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^If he knew enough to "reason" that on the fly, so much for a mental illness defense.

Why? It would all depend on "the" mental illness claimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 07:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
There are many of us who want imprisonment (mental illness or not) not as punishment, but to keep the rest of society safe from such monsters.
Oh I completely understand that sentiment (and largely feel the same way). I'm not advocating for her release (now or 30+ years from now). I'm just pointing out that prison isn't the only way that someone can be "punished" for their crimes. Protecting the rest of society is a different, but big piece of the equation.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:47 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Oh I completely understand that sentiment (and largely feel the same way). I'm not advocating for her release (now or 30+ years from now). I'm just pointing out that prison isn't the only way that someone can be "punished" for their crimes. Protecting the rest of society is a different, but big piece of the equation.
Whether or not a cold blooded killer feels guilt is irrelevant and doesn't even begin to count as punishment. If one take a life, their own is forfeit. In prison. And protecting the public isn't the only consideration if, and when, parole is considered. Incarceration is a punitive measure as well since there's a debt to be paid. And in the case being discussed here, what's the price of three lives? Whether guilty or simply insane, this heinous killer should never, ever see the light of day. Personally, I'd throw the switch for free.

Last edited by TunedIn; 06-28-2023 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-28-2023, 11:50 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
This murdered is a piece of sh*t mentally ill or not. He is the type of person that shouldnt have been born and that you certainly don't want to ever have to be around. I feel bad for his parents.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Whether or not a cold blooded killer feels guilt is irrelevant and doesn't even begin to count as punishment.If one take a life, their own is forfeit. In prison. And protecting the public isn't the only consideration if, and when, parole is considered. Incarceration is a punitive measure as well since there's a debt to be paid. And in the case being discussed here, what's the price of three lives? Whether guilty or simply insane, this heinous killer should never, ever see the light of day. Personally, I'd throw the switch for free.
You're mostly right in terms of a typical murder conviction, but it's not necessarily how the law works as it pertains to criminal insanity. In the case of the Duxbury woman who murdered her three kids (which is who I was talking about in the text you quoted), she could be found "not guilty by reason of insanity." That's a "not guilty" verdict. It obviously doesn't mean she'd walk free (she'd be in a locked psychiatric facility for a long time - possibly forever). But her her stay in a locked facility is technically treatment and not incarceration. So it would not be punitive (in theory, anyway), and the terms of potential release would largely be determined by clinical assessment rather than a parole considerations like a standard inmate.

My comment about "guilt" is a personal sentiment, not a legal claim. I, personally, think that if someone is truly in such a disconnected psychotic state that they murder their children, their life is over regardless of what a judge and jury decide. Even if they're allowed to walk free, there's no coming back from that. But again, I'm not saying that should or will happen in her case or any other.

I highly doubt that that the Newton killer will have a strong insanity case and will almost certainly end up in prison until he dies. That makes perfect sense to me considering what he did.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:29 PM

296 posts, read 528,220 times
Who gives a **** about this killer? All I am hearing is " Oh mental illness" and " Oh he was a nice guy" Stop and think about the circumstances just for a second.....
There were other screen windows found out of other windows surrounding the basement and first floor. At 4-5 am on a Sunday morning what are you up to?
Knowing what a typical Newton home is layed out on the first floor , the rear door and basement usually opens into the kitchen. A knife , with brown and red stains was found in the kitchen.
Where were the victims found? Living room , stairs , bed room, still in bed? The wife was found with 30 stab wounds in the upper torso and blunt force trauma.
Why was he seen without a shirt and no shoes? Blood soaked? Seems like he knew how to break into a home , find a knife and execute people in cold blood and try to get rid of what ever evidence. He deserves the needle.

Oh and I know that neighborhood , The Lake. Tight knit old neighborhood. People used to be safe in Newton. I grew up in Newton , went to school and worked in the city for well over 20 years

Old 06-28-2023, 01:36 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I do wonder why so many empathize with killers these days. I mean killing two people is a serial killer. Too many people these days make excuses for these folks. Oh he snapped, or oh they blacked out. Who cares, they killed innocent people. Done.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:49 PM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I do wonder why so many empathize with killers these days. I mean killing two people is a serial killer. Too many people these days make excuses for these folks. Oh he snapped, or oh they blacked out. Who cares, they killed innocent people. Done.
Because there are too many liberals who are out of touch w/reality in this state.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Is anybody empathizing with this guy? Acknowledging that mental illness may have played a role in what he did is not empathy. Wanting to know what drove someone to do what they did isn't the same as having empathy for them either. I haven't seen a single post here or anywhere else that implies that he should get anything less than life in prison for what he did.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:28 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Because there are too many liberals who are out of touch w/reality in this state.
I'm a liberal and think this guy should be locked away forever, throw away the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts