Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 06:52 AM

16,519 posts, read 8,299,497 times

Advertisements

I see new housing getting built all the time on the south shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 07:05 AM

373 posts, read 146,961 times
So you don't think there's a housing inventory shortage?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
So you don't think there's a housing inventory shortage?
So does that mean we just continue to destroy land and populate the area to build more housing? Call me selfish and a boomer (even though I'm born in 1978) but I don't think more housing is necessarily the answer. Our roads, infrastructure, public transit system, hospitals and schools are full. Do you want more people and traffic around here? I don't.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:24 AM

10,037 posts, read 15,698,242 times
Where will the inmates go? Maybe they'll get free hotel rooms too?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:27 AM

I'm still not convinced that building will alleviate housing costs either...it's already been said here countless times that anytime a house is built it's a 3-4k sq ft house with all the bells and whistles.

Apartments houses and condos are cheaper but those seem to be temporary for people who ultimately want a SFH

Old 01-25-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The article specifies where they'll go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
MCI-Concord currently operates at 50 percent capacity with an incarcerated population of approximately 300, state officials said. MCI-Concord prisoners will complete a reclassification process in the coming months and be transferred to another facility.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:28 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Well we seem to live in a society where people don't go to jail anymore. in MA jails are probably offensive to people.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So does that mean we just continue to destroy land and populate the area to build more housing? Call me selfish and a boomer (even though I'm born in 1978) but I don't think more housing is necessarily the answer. Our roads, infrastructure, public transit system, hospitals and schools are full. Do you want more people and traffic around here? I don't.
You also seem shocked at the prices of homes around here (look at any of the annual real estate observations threads that you participate in). So, what do you propose? Just not building anything ever again? What about the increased costs of everything that you complain about? The status quo clearly isn't working, you've given your opinion many times. I also think something needs to be done, even if there's no perfect, instant solution.

And to your other point about if they just build a bunch of mcmansions there - well, that's a bunch of people that otherwise might have bought a small starter home and tore it down. So in that sense, it would still be better than doing nothing.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:37 AM

12,915 posts, read 22,078,382 times
For a prospective developer, this site has to be extremely appealing. For starters, there's direct Route 2 access. Additionally, West Concord Commuter Rail station is 1/2 mile away and is directly connected to the MCI property by the Bruce Freeman rail trail. So any resident commuters will have the freedom to drive all the way into town, drive a very short distance to the commuter rail, or leave the car parked at home and walk/bike to the train and the village center of West Concord along a pleasant path. There aren't many places this far out in the 'burbs that offer that type of commute flexibility and convenience.

I imagine that a large part of the inevitable NIMBY resistance to a private, mixed-use development here will center around increased traffic. But there's even some unique opportunity for the developer there. The Route 2 rotary has long been the bane of drivers' existence in that area. There have been several proposals to remove or realign it (like this one), but MCI Concord has been one of the significant obstacles in that process. A developer could assist with the realignment/replacement as a contingency for developing the land which would be a big step toward winning support.

It's a significant enough portion of land that they should be able to have some retail (and maybe some office), plenty of residential, and some publicly accessible green space. I hope this building is preserved too.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:37 AM

510 posts, read 451,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
We should take over universities, colleges, and other large institutions by eminent domain in Boston, and reconfigure those properties into affordable housing. We should do away with air bnbs in residential areas.

Large grammar, middle, and highschools should also be converted into housing and smaller neighborhood schools built to accommodate students locally.

Out of state and out of country investors and firms should not be able to buy up residential properties.

Not only would this provide additional housing for residents but it would also lessen traffic by having neighborhood schools instead of students traveling miles away from their homes.

I'm sure there are other changes that can also be made but this is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts