Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 05:34 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,829,402 times

Advertisements

Your advice is appreciated to help me make a decision. I'm thinking about moving to a single family in S. Waltham. It's a block or so east of Moody St, and just north of River St. The same street becomes part of Newton a couple houses down. Please advise pros/cons of this area.

I like the ease of commute from this location, and it seems on the surface not to have the gritty feel of the central part of S. Waltham. Wonder if this is a good choice for a single woman.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mmyk72; 10-15-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,789 times
From your post I'm not quite sure where you mean. Do you mean south of River? I don't think Waltham is a bad place to live as a single woman, especially if you like the commute. If you are North of River and East of Moody you should be able to walk to a small number of bars and restaurants. I would check out the area along River Street as it becomes Pleasant street and make sure you are comfortable with that area, especially at night. It's fine during the day (and Russo's is there so that a huge plus in my book) but given the number of autobody places and businesses in the area I would wonder what it would be like at night.

It's hard to tell if it's a "good" choice for you personally, because that's obviously a preference but I don't find the area unsafe. It wouldn't have enough to do for me. I also don't like that fact Waltham is only bus or commuter rails. I don't think the area would be highly walkable, but you could probably manage without a car.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,284 times
I think she means River St. in Newton.

It's a very safe area if you're only a few houses away from Newton (which has been the safest city in the US for several years of the last decade). I grew up in W. Newton close to the Waltham line and the area has changed dramatically for the better in the last twenty years. You'll be fine.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes286 View Post
I think she means River St. in Newton.
Ah, I assumed Waltham, but that makes more sense. And that area is completely safe.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM

That's right- I meant River St Newton, not the street that Russo's is on. At first I thought it's right next to Newton so it could't be too bad. BUT, someone who lives there told me there are a couple of half-way houses in that block (places where people who got let out of jail stays). So I decided not to take this place.

It seemed perfectly fine driving thru, but I just don't feel it's a safe haven for me.

Thanks guys for response.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,284 times
This information is incorrect. There are no halfway houses in that neighborhood. It is an extremely safe neighborhood full of working families.

I grew up around there, my parents and many of my friends still live there, and I frequently visit. Even back in the 80s when parts of South Waltham were iffy, this neighborhood was safe. This is where the mayor of Waltham lived for decades (corner of Derby and Lowell).

Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Hurley House Recovery Home
12 Lowell Street
Waltham MA 2454
(781) 891-4323

Primary focus
Substance abuse treatment services

Services Provided
Substance abuse treatment, Halfway house

I don't know what goes on in a half-way house or what type of people frequent this type of place. But, intuitively I wouldn't want to live close to one. Maybe I'm too sheltered.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:10 PM

A half-way house would generally have very strict rules about no substances (illegal or legal) in the house and may have a curfew for residents. Unless you are next to it, I wouldn't be concerned by this. And now that you know where it is you can make a point of not walking by it if you find it concerning. If you are renting I wouldn't be concerned at all, if you are buying, ask your realtor.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Hurley House Recovery Home
12 Lowell Street
Waltham MA 2454
(781) 891-4323

Primary focus
Substance abuse treatment services

Services Provided
Substance abuse treatment, Halfway house

I don't know what goes on in a half-way house or what type of people frequent this type of place. But, intuitively I wouldn't want to live close to one. Maybe I'm too sheltered.
They are not sex offenders, they are recovering drug and alcohol addicts, there's a big difference! Anyways River St. is nowhere near that area.

I have never put Waltham and safe in the same sentence because I have never even thought of having to address that issue when speaking of Waltham. A woman can walk Moody St at 1 AM with virtually no worry whatsoever.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,842,530 times
She decided not to take the place, so I think we can let the thread end now? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts