Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 129,160 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to shed some light on an issue.

I will be attending college as an undergraduate transfer student this upcoming semester. I've got my list narrowed down to two schools: UMass Boston and UMass Amherst.

So, have any of you had to decide between UMass Boston and UMass Amherst? What made you choose one over the other?

Any other thoughts on these two schools would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM

284 posts, read 1,167,479 times
While the UMass system is a great choice, but the two schools are different, depending on what you want out of your experience and what your lifestyle is like. Hopefully, you've visited the schools, but if not, do you want to live in the city, or in a more rural area? Do you want to live in a dorm or off-campus?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be a bit long-winded. But, I'm just kind of bouncing thoughts around.

Yes, I have been to both campuses and taken a couple cont. ed. classes at UMass Boston. Honestly, both schools are equal in my eyes. I could see myself in the city or a rural area. I've lived in a city on my own for some time, so sharing a dorm room is not the best option.

Here's just a quick version of my thought processes.

I like UMass Boston for a few reasons:

-the city. It's a great setting to keep abreast of cultural and political trends.
-the classes are varied and cover interesting subjects
-it's apparent that a majority of the students are there to learn and earn a degree...not just waste their time socializing.
-students seem a bit older than at Amherst. I'm 22 and am not very interested in hanging out with teenagers just starting their college career.
-in my experience, faculty and staff are quite accessible.

What I like about UMass Amherst:

-the natural environment. Great place for reflection.
-awesome library.
-perhaps more rigorous academics. I'm not sure on this one, but that's my feeling.
-Lots of interesting, progressive people.
-Lots of free activities/clubs...like the student newspaper, improv groups.
-I would like to become an RA next Fall.

When I picture myself at UMB, I see a student less distracted by the social aspects, as the commuter campus doesn't seem as conducive to the typical college social life. When I picture myself at Amherst, I see myself as having too many distractions. Too much fun, you could say, getting in the way of studying.

Last edited by speakofblue; 12-04-2008 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: changes

Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Amherst is stunningly beautiful but I'd feel trapped admidst thousands of young undergrads. UMass Boston has far more older/non-traditional students.
You'd need a car in Amherst, most likely, and not in UMass Boston, which has great train access to many places. The actual neighborhood at UMass Boston is a little rocky, but OK as cities go.
My original reason for moving to Mass. was to work for a year and then go to Amherst (for what??) as a state resident. Never made it out of Boston for college, but it would have been great at that age.
Coursewise, there are some things different from one to the other, for instance, the Ag school at Amherst- Boston doesn't have one! The diversity of students at Boston is stunning, people from all over the world, and certainly more than 22-year-olds.
What do you hope to study? Both should give you a wide range should you change your direction.
If you go to Boston, likely any internships or connectons would be nearby for jobs at graduation. Jobs are much harder at Amherst, because it's such a pretty area, and so many people want to stay after college, and there's not much work for so many people, certainly not much professional work in many fields.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I don't go to either college, but I applied to UMASS Boston. I did not apply to UMASS Amherst (which puts me in the minority at my high school). People tend to think Amherst is better, but that's really just a popularity contest. UMASS Amherst is the type of college that half your graduating class goes to (if you went to high school in Massachusetts). At Amherst, there are two types of people: smart people that stayed in state for whatever reason, and people that could have gone to a better college if they put more effort into high school. Admittedly, I am biased, but the stuff I said about Amherst is true at least to an extent.

fact: UMASS Boston has more Harvard-educated professors than any other college (besides Harvard of course)

Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, I'm not quite set in my major, yet. Just planning on taking some gen. ed. requirements and diving into my major next fall. For now, I'm interested in studying humanities/fine arts. Specifically, photography and anthropology/sociology. (UMass Boston has a stunning anthropology department.) Although, that might revert back to something more general, like English or history.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM

184 posts, read 658,553 times
Default Visit Amherst before you knock it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't go to either college, but I applied to UMASS Boston. I did not apply to UMASS Amherst (which puts me in the minority at my high school). People tend to think Amherst is better, but that's really just a popularity contest. UMASS Amherst is the type of college that half your graduating class goes to (if you went to high school in Massachusetts). At Amherst, there are two types of people: smart people that stayed in state for whatever reason, and people that could have gone to a better college if they put more effort into high school. Admittedly, I am biased, but the stuff I said about Amherst is true at least to an extent.

fact: UMASS Boston has more Harvard-educated professors than any other college (besides Harvard of course)
This is nonsense! How can you possible say something is true about a place if you've spent no time there? My time at UMass/Amherst was fantastic...and not because it's a party school(aren't they ALL?). I had top-notch professors and not just in my majors (English, then Comparative Lit., then Anthropology). Being in the Honors Program, I had no core requirements and took many science and social science classes, with TOP-NOTCH, world-renowned physicists, astronomers, geologists, anthropologists, etc. What REALLY got me was how many students from the OTHER Five colleges took courses at UMass, while paying huge sums for the Amherst or Smith or Mt. Holyoke name...while almost NONE of my friends needed to take anything those schools had to offer (except Theology and Film studies...that's all that comes to mind). To sum it up: I got a fantastic, multi-faceted education that served me well for the rest of my life, without paying a fortune...AND I got to have it in one of the most beautiful spots on Earth! How beautiful IS it? My son is in Hawaii now, visiting a friend, but will be back in January to attend UMass/Amherst, like his friends, his mother, my parents and so many of our friends. I would heartily recommend it to anyone! P.S. I'll make NO statements for or against UMass/Boston, except to say: TRAFFIC! I was just there on Friday, after missing the turn off Rte. 2 in Concord (going to Logan) and we landed in Cambridge! it was a nightmare! Driving in Boston should be outlawed altogether! I'd rather deal with Manhattan any day.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks, VlyRoadKid, for your upbeat reply! Great to hear that you, and so many of your friends and family, had a wonderful experience at Amherst.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,128 times
If you decide you want to major in anthro, I highly HIGHLY recommend you go to UMass, Amherst. The anthro program at UMass, Amherst is recognized as being one of the top ten in the nation. Many of the professors are very prestigious in the anthro-world and can earn you some good connections for the future. If you choose to continue with anthropology and go on to grad school, it is VERY attractive to have a degree from UMass, Amherst. UMass, Amherst in general is very strong with the social sciences.

Amherst has a very elaborate PVTA system. You don't need a car.

There is tons of diversity at UMass, Amherst. So many different students from different backgrounds and cultures. I also had non-traditional students in nearly every class I took, and there are PLENTY of students who are 22+.

You can take classes at the other four colleges in the area at UMass, Amherst: Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, and Amherst. You can't do that at UMass, Boston.

I personally would pick UMass, Amherst over UMass, Boston any time. There is SO much opportunity and such a huge mix of people at Amherst. You can be anyone or anything you want to be and nobody will judge you. It is hard not to fit in at Amherst. There is something for everyone.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM

184 posts, read 658,553 times
[quote=theh;6472324]If you decide you want to major in anthro, I highly HIGHLY recommend you go to UMass, Amherst. The anthro program at UMass, Amherst is recognized as being one of the top ten in the nation. Many of the professors are very prestigious in the anthro-world and can earn you some good connections for the future. If you choose to continue with anthropology and go on to grad school, it is VERY attractive to have a degree from UMass, Amherst. UMass, Amherst in general is very strong with the social sciences.

I heartily agree! I changed my major from Comp. Lit. to Anthro. and was very happy in that department. Yes, the profs were excellent and the various courses SO diverse! It also gave me a new way to look at cultures, including our own, which has helped immeasurably!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts