Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM

321 posts, read 920,945 times

Advertisements

New Englanders are reserved and tend to keep to themselves - it's a mindset that is deeply rooted. People are a product of their environment - sometimes their immediate environment. I lived in New England most of my 40+ years (CT/MA). We're like crockpots - it takes us awhile to warm up I now live in MO - sure people here appear to be friendlier but I feel they are less passionate than New Englanders. And there are plenty of rude people here too. I guess I don't even understand why this is a topic - why bring up how rude someplace is - how rude to even bring it up If it's so horrible in MA then stay away - what is the point of complaining?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM

64 posts, read 125,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
New Englanders are reserved and tend to keep to themselves - it's a mindset that is deeply rooted. People are a product of their environment - sometimes their immediate environment. I lived in New England most of my 40+ years (CT/MA). We're like crockpots - it takes us awhile to warm up I now live in MO - sure people here appear to be friendlier but I feel they are less passionate than New Englanders. And there are plenty of rude people here too. I guess I don't even understand why this is a topic - why bring up how rude someplace is - how rude to even bring it up If it's so horrible in MA then stay away - what is the point of complaining?
I agree with you. I have lived here my whole life (32) and I don't think I am rude, or at least it isn't my intention, but I do like to be alone a lot. I don't mind chit chatting with a stranger for a few minutes, I waitress so I sort of have to deal with it, but no more than a few minutes. I think many of us are like that and we don't think of it as rude because it is just the way it is. Certainly other fellow Mass residents don't consider it rude. I visited North Carolina recently and while people were nice and friendly, I found them entirely too imposing on my personal space and business. Chit chat soon turned into 10 questions about my personal life. Excuse me, I don't go there with strangers, and of course I get seen as rude when I don't want to answer a question about my religion..PERSONAL!

I don't think we are rude, just a little more reserved and yes I do think it has something to do with Puritans, but it is just the way we are. Not rude, just different.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
Rude people are everywhere but i know mass has its share of rude creeps.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-06-2009 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: lamguage

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 12,295 times
I've lived in Massachusetts all of my life and I have to agree with your observation. I do believe that people here are much less friendly and sometimes downright rude to each other. I think a big factor is the weather. We live most of the year waiting for the good weather to come and that lasts for only about 3-4 months and then we are right back into the fall (having to deal with all of the leaves - yuck!) and have to brace ourselves for a long, miserable winter. When my husband and I have travelled outside of New England, I am always surprised at how much friendlier people are. If I wasn't so deeply rooted with my family and friends here, I would definitely relocate to a warmer, friendlier place. Anyway, I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences here. Take care.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunga16 View Post
I've lived in Massachusetts all of my life and I have to agree with your observation. I do believe that people here are much less friendly and sometimes downright rude to each other. I think a big factor is the weather. We live most of the year waiting for the good weather to come and that lasts for only about 3-4 months and then we are right back into the fall (having to deal with all of the leaves - yuck!) and have to brace ourselves for a long, miserable winter. When my husband and I have travelled outside of New England, I am always surprised at how much friendlier people are. If I wasn't so deeply rooted with my family and friends here, I would definitely relocate to a warmer, friendlier place. Anyway, I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences here. Take care.
I totally agree. I did find many rude people and frankly downright unhappy people in Massachusetts. However......summer weather brought out a lot of smiles. I think the lack of light and miserable weather in the winter is enough to make anyone myself included very surly. I think it explains Southern Hospitality as well (I now live in the South). Delightful weather makes a huge impact on your quality of life and state of mind. So my advice to the original poster is to give people a break.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaly View Post
I agree with you. I have lived here my whole life (32) and I don't think I am rude, or at least it isn't my intention, but I do like to be alone a lot. I don't mind chit chatting with a stranger for a few minutes, I waitress so I sort of have to deal with it, but no more than a few minutes. I think many of us are like that and we don't think of it as rude because it is just the way it is. Certainly other fellow Mass residents don't consider it rude. I visited North Carolina recently and while people were nice and friendly, I found them entirely too imposing on my personal space and business. Chit chat soon turned into 10 questions about my personal life. Excuse me, I don't go there with strangers, and of course I get seen as rude when I don't want to answer a question about my religion..PERSONAL!

I don't think we are rude, just a little more reserved and yes I do think it has something to do with Puritans, but it is just the way we are. Not rude, just different.

I agree with much of what you said. I also find that those who many consider "rude" because of their lack of oversharing are the type who once you are a friend with them, they will be a true friend for life. They say what they mean and mean what they say. It does take time though. That's just the way people are.

I also think this supposed "rudeness" is a reason why so many celebrities can easily live in neighborhoods, enjoy dining out and other regular activities here in MA. People in MA are private and as such respect the privacy of others. Not to mention again, we harken back to the whole puritanical sense where frivolous pursuits and outward displays of materialism are just not appropriate. Basically, most people just aren't impressed.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,699 times
I'm a native Massachusetts girl - but moved to southern CA when I was little. I love New England and its people! I approach people with a smile and friendliness...and get the same back when I'm there. New Englanders' culture tends to be reserved, as others have said...they tend to be private people....but I surely would never call them rude!!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I totally agree. I did find many rude people and frankly downright unhappy people in Massachusetts. However......summer weather brought out a lot of smiles. I think the lack of light and miserable weather in the winter is enough to make anyone myself included very surly. I think it explains Southern Hospitality as well (I now live in the South). Delightful weather makes a huge impact on your quality of life and state of mind. So my advice to the original poster is to give people a break.
Have you been to Seattle or Portland? I don't find them rude due to their gloomy weather...and I'm sorry you had a poor experience in Mass. I find the people in Mass delightful....but I do agree with you on giving people a break...I had a "surly" waitress in Dennys the other day...maybe she was having a bad day, but her attitude certainly wasn't cheerful nor helpful. I live in a tourist area on the way to Lake Tahoe...I sure hope others don't judge my area just due to a worker who was grumpy that day! However...ya just gotta shrug it off and as you say...give people a break!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Maybe people out from Worcester east are rude so you guys all say, but in western MA, Northampton and the surrounding towns, people are pretty nice at my end of the state. Boston is a whole different country compared to WMA. You want rude and obnoxious, come here to Floriduh... Can't wait to go home to WMA....

Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM

660 posts, read 1,541,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalensign79 View Post
I don't want to be open and chatty with strangers...I guess I need to go back home
Isn't Florida really "the deep south of the New England"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts