Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,316 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for homes in MetroWest. I work in Norwood and DH needs commuter rail. We found a home we liked in North Bellingham and would make an offer, but we are unfamiliar with the area. I read previous threads about Bellingham's reputation, but am curious how North Bellingham's crime/safety/schools compares to the rest of the town.

We don't have kids yet, but are hoping to stay in Bellingham for the next 10 years or so--elementary school years. The house is right near Stall Brook Elementary.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM

100 posts, read 295,334 times
There is no commuter rail stop in Bellingham. The closest one is Forge Park in Franklin. Ashland has a commuter rail stop also. Closer in. Norfolk has a commuter rail stop which is 3/4 stops from Norwood. Medway Hopkinton, and Holiston do not have a commuter rail stop.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 PM

109 posts, read 323,989 times
Franklin offers 2 commuter rail locations for the purple line. Dean College and Forge Park. both are off of Rt. 140. Does your husband go towards south station?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
My husband and I moved to North Bellingham last summer. We had similar questions and concerns about Bellingham, and I must say that we've been very happy! Our small neighborhood is great, the people are friendly, and it is less than 5 mins from the Franklin commuter rail. Personally, I think that there is a world of difference between north Bellingham and the southern part of the town. Having said that, we do not yet have any children in the school system. Like you, we bought the house for the long-term, with plans to eventually have kids in the public schools. As for safety goes, I feel incredibly safe in this neighborhood and am very happy with our decision to purchase a house here.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 8,316 times
The curious thing is, we've since moved to Bellingham and we ended up in a nice neighborhood in the southern part of town. We've heard over and over again from realtors and out-of-towners the same line about Northern Bellingham being better, but the truth is, we couldn't be happier in southern bellingham. Our home is in a friendly neighborhood with many families, summer block parties, very welcoming people, and lovely historic homes. It is quiet, safe, and wonderful.

I guess you can't believe everything you hear!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,832 times
This is from someone who lived almost across the street from Stall Brook Elementary. This is strictly my opinion. I feel that the problem is with Bellingham that growth is so uncontrolled that you literally could wake up to a dirt pile facing your home (happened to someone up the street from me.) I lived on a street that turned out to be horrifically busy, although it was ostensibly residential. Turns out that trucks were allowed up and down it all day and night, as well as motorcycles, although the street was clearly marked "No trucks." Occasionally we'd have 100 motorcycles buzzing up the street. Noise was horrible.

Shopping there is also horrible, as the major shopping areas are all concentrated right around 495. It used to take me 20 minutes just to get out of the Market Basket parking lot during the holiday season. Town Council doesn't care at all about residents vs. growth, IMHO. I understand that a Motorcross and soccer field may be put up on one street, and yet ANOTHER mall is planned in the 495 area. Gads!

Meanwhile, there are no restaurants (other than Chiles and Outback and one or two mom and pop pizza joints.) Schools are not good. My neighbor shipped her son up to Hopkinton schools to keep him out of Bellingham schools. Should you ever want to sell your home, this could be a real issue. Downtown area (if you could call it that) is NOT walkable and poorly designed. Good luck trying to find the post office! This town has the potential to be so much but fails due to poor planning on the part of the Town.

On the plus side, people seem nice (our street was so busy that we couldn't even walk across it to meet most people) and the crime consisted of people opening unlocked cars and stealing change. Also, very close to 495. And houses are cheap (because of all of the above.) Taxes are cheap as well.

The issue with South Bellingham, as opposed to North Bellingham, is that parts of it are contiguous with Woonsocket, RI. Woonsocket is not a very nice place. Just seedy, poor and has crime. (Despite everything I've mentioned above, I'd much rather live in Bellingham than Woonsocket.) I think there is some seepage of crime and such from Woonsocket to some parts of South Bellingham, but have no idea if it's widespread.

If you can, I'd recommend Franklin, as it is much nicer, better controlled in terms of growth, and also has the commuter rail line (two stops.)

It got so bad in Bellingham that I moved after only two years, losing a substantial amount of money. I just couldn't take another day of the noise and lack of concern of the Town. And I had a really cute home with a nice sized lot. Could have done a lot with it. But, as they say, it's all about "location, location, location." And Bellingham just doesn't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts