Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 AM

48 posts, read 175,619 times

Advertisements

Hello I would like to know what Lexington, Concord are like towns.
What kind of people live here.
What is there to do here. How social are they.
Which neigborhood are the best to live in, kids friendly and close to route 2.
Love to hear from you guys
Micky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM

17 posts, read 110,479 times
Concord is nice..and expensive, and on rt. 2. Are you thinking of relocating? You should check out Lexington, or Bedford.. =)

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 AM

212 posts, read 948,016 times
Default Lexington is an active town

It's very expensive (avg starter home=$600,000) but the schools are great and there is a lot going on. If you're a friendly person who likes to get involved with the school community or civic volunteering, there are lots of opportunities. There are some very active church communities. It's close to Boston and Cambridge if you like cultural events or to take classes. People generally look at the elementary schools (they are scattered around town) and decide which one they like best before they choose what part of town to live in. It's safe here and the people are about as friendly as other parts of the area. They are not snobby. It is a very well-educated population, so expect a lot of technical people and academics, as well as business people. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM

48 posts, read 175,619 times
Thanks guys, the more I hear from lexington the more I like it. I hope when we go in july to find a house it will egcite my expactions. My husband is an ingenieur and I'am a cosmetoligist .
Yes I would like to take different classes I have a big interrest.
And a friendly town is always a plus safe another plus. Have to say little a afraid of the safety factor because you always see shooting on t.v. that happens in the states.
We want to send our daughter to the montessori school as she is already in a montessori here.

Which neigborhood are the best to live in, kids friendly and close to route 2

Thanks guys Micky

Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM

43 posts, read 181,860 times
I live in Lexington and I love it! it's great for families, awesome schools, low crime and plenty of things to do. It has a great Montessori school and there is also a good one in the neighboring town.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 25,946 times
Concord is a lovely town, but it is getting too expensive; especially for retirees. Many homes have been torn down and made into McMansions! I would look elsewhere. Lexington is larger, and seems more urban.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default Both are expensive. Concord is more country.

Both towns have pretty high housing costs. Concord is more out in the area far enough from the city that there are winding roads, and woods, and fields. People there seem like fairly typical affluent suburbanites, friendly enough once you find a place in the community, but busy, and, with its feel of starting to be a little bit in the country, the town may be a bit spread out to promote an old-fashioned neighborly feel.

Since you asked about how the people are, something worth noting about Lexington is that it is very left-wing politically. You never know who might like it there, however. A friend of mine who's a registered Republican lives there and says he likes it, because of the variety of community activities available. Still, when I say Lexington is left wing, I mean extremely so, meaning that, depending on your own politics, you're very likely to find that you either love Lexington or hate it, without a lot of middle ground. As far as its physical character, Lexington is less country than Concord, more like an affluent version of true suburbia (houses with yards, not so much woodland, etc.). Nice downtown area, with less going on than you'd find in a city, even a small city, but a larger collection of businesses than you'd find in a tiny village.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 AM

419 posts, read 1,237,800 times
Concord is the kind of place where men wear sweaters over their shoulders instead of just putting them on like they were originally designed for. LOL!

Last edited by wheelz; 08-07-2007 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
I got lost in Concord the other day -- I was driving up and down those narrow country roads for an hour. All the houses were spaced 1/4 mile apart, and my head started hurting! I did spend time in West Concord Village though, and it was very pleasant. It depends on what you're used to and what you're looking for. Most of Concord is narrow winding roads where you'll be driving 20-25mph, with nothing in sight but trees and a big house once in a while. If you think that will drive you crazy, there are also 3 small town centers, 2 of which have a commuter rail station (West Concord and Concord Center). I personally wouldn't mind living near one of the town centers w/a commuter rail stop within walking distance, but the rest of the town isn't for me. I ate at the 99 Restaurant in West Concord last weekend and people were very friendly. Strangers kept coming over to play w/our 1-yr old daughter. Do you have kids of elementary-school age? Alcott and Thoreau were recently build in 2004 and 2006, but Willard is a piece of junk about to fall apart. They will be allocating funds to rebuild it later this year, but that won't be ready for another 2-3 years. If you plan on buying there, make sure you're zoned for Alcott or Thoreau.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Concord is the kind of place where men wear sweaters over their shoulders instead of just putting them on like they were originally designed for. LOL!
What's wrong w/that? Just cause you don't have money like they do doesn't mean you should make fun of them. Reminds me of European men, who are very well-dressed. I think Micky's from Europe too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts